Probably a playbook problem if it's happening on two different devices running two different OSes...
    09-06-11 05:35 PM
    It is questionable if this will be available.
    The way that Apple makes their network iPad is to lock it to a specific carrier.
    What you ask for is 'roaming' and or ability to change the SIM from carrier to carrier much like an un-locked BB phone.
    It is unknown what, if any, arrangements RIM will make with their carriers since no carriers are known to have signed on.
    In your unique case, the 'best' thing to do may be to use the current PB. Get some sort of 'international' or UK related plan with BB Internet.
    Thanks for reading - you've got it in one, it's the Sim Changy thing I'd be 'upgrading' to a 3g/4g/whatever we'll call it PB. Our global roaming remains only a 5mb limit, so that's not particularly great for more than three days or so. My 'berry is unlocked, so I can drop any sim into that, and I'm hoping that the arrangement will be similar for the PB.

Fingers crossed! If not, I can live with it no problems. Very happy with what my current PB does, and further improvements will be a bonus for me!
    09-07-11 03:46 AM
    If the playbook is truly the businessman's tablet, when did businessmen get so tight in the wallet that saving a couple of bucks in data trumps productivity. effiiciency and ease of use?

What's next, cancelling wifi at home in favor of bridge browser?
    Obviously, you're not a successful businessman....

Mark
    09-07-11 11:04 AM
    If PlayBook will become 3G / 4G and will have phone capabilities, BB phones will have direct competition from its own yard...
    09-07-11 11:12 AM
    If the playbook is truly the businessman's tablet, when did businessmen get so tight in the wallet that saving a couple of bucks in data trumps productivity. effiiciency and ease of use?

What's next, cancelling wifi at home in favor of bridge browser?
    A businessman's first priority is making money. His second priority is saving money. Smart business says it doesn't make any sense to pay for the same service twice. The speed difference between sending/receiving simple documents over Bridge versus a dedicated 3G/4G connection would be nearly imperceptible. Let's not forget the phone will already have a 3G/4G connection and the document will already be on it. If that last -nth of a second is that vital, just work the document on the phone and shoot it back out.
    09-07-11 11:36 AM
    just to put to rest any rumors about charges for using Bridge: (take that iPhone)
    Jeremy I.: There is no charge to use Bridge function on the Blackberry Play book because you have unlimited data on your phone.
    You: so even if I use the browser function, it will be at no charge?
    Jeremy I.: Yes, you are correct.
    11-28-11 09:34 AM
    because Bluetooth 2.0 has a max theoretical speed of 3Mbps, whereas 3G is up to 14.3Mbps and 4G is 14.4Mbps+

so in theory someone with a 4G playbook can browse at least 4 times faster than through bridge no matter what phone was bridged.
    Yes, and like speeding in a car, that 4X faster factor will cost you dearly. Bridge is probably the best thing about the PB.
    11-28-11 09:44 AM
    I have been following this thread and am thinking about getting a playbook to go with my vzn 9930. so am i getting this right? with the bridge, i can pair the playbook with my 9930 and get the internet/browser on the playbook using my phone's unlimited data?
    11-28-11 01:45 PM
    I have been following this thread and am thinking about getting a playbook to go with my vzn 9930. so am i getting this right? with the bridge, i can pair the playbook with my 9930 and get the internet/browser on the playbook using my phone's unlimited data?
    Yes, you can. (So far, AT&T has been the only carrier to block using data for Bridge browsing - they consider it tethering and require an extra plan/payment).

You can also use wifi.
    11-28-11 04:32 PM
    i would buy a 3g playbook with 20$ data plan rather than sticking to the bridge. its a waste of time..free meal, yeah , but it tastes bad. just like any other free meal - lunch or breakfast.
    opening messages is slow, bbm is the same, browsing is always inconsistent, and of course being wifi only, carriers are not interested and rim is on a hang over after getting stuck working on multiple ID /PIN issues on multiple devices, while using one login. it would have been averted if the playbook is a 3g device on simcard, with its own PIN ID, email, PIM and so forth.

i believe from the beginning that a playbook should have been launched with BBOS6 or 7, fully functional, with 3G, rather than using QNX on Wifi with barely any application worth using.
    QNX and its BETA nature (no email/PIM, no apps, inconsistent experience) scares a lot of people away (we are still in BBOS6 back then, remember?). It would have been a success if it's BBOS6 with full array of applications.
    a playbook 2 with fully functioning QNX or BBX should have been launched in 2012, Q1, with 3-5million playbook 1 already upgraded to BBOS7 in Q3 2011 (success case)
    11-28-11 04:55 PM
    i believe from the beginning that a playbook should have been launched with BBOS6 or 7, fully functional, with 3G, rather than using QNX on Wifi with barely any application worth using.
    QNX and its BETA nature (no email/PIM, no apps, inconsistent experience) scares a lot of people away (we are still in BBOS6 back then, remember?). It would have been a success if it's BBOS6 with full array of applications.
    1) They could have launched the PB with native email/PIM if they wanted to, even if they left out BIS and offered simple imap/pop email. They chose not to. So it had nothing to do with QNX really.

2) If it launched with OS7 it would not have a full array of applications. Apps for the tablet resolution and touchscreen input wouldn't exist for quite a while just like they don't exist each time RIM releases new handsets. Also if it was running the same platform likely they would not have all these new dev tools, dev pushes and promotions that they are having now so desire to remake apps for the tablets would be lower anyways.
    11-28-11 05:03 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD