Simply because this Playbook isn't going to be as "Business-centric" as everyone wants to claim. It will be every bit as much a "toy" as the faithful like to claim that iPads are.
    Yep. Out with the old RIM and in with the new. Portable e-mail is yesterday's news. This appears to be the first tab that's got a decent shot at both the retail consumer and the enterprise space. I would have bet against it 3 months ago, but I can't bet against '67 on this point.
    03-16-11 08:07 PM
    Simply because this Playbook isn't going to be as "Business-centric" as everyone wants to claim. It will be every bit as much a "toy" as the faithful like to claim that iPads are.
    Once again, '67 is right. He might appear trollish but he does have a point. Your business-only device, is as every bit consumer as the Androids and the iThingys. Let's face it, RIM has to either become a consumer-desired device, or die/become very inferior in the eyes of the US/UK markets. True, it had a worldwide market to attend to, but what happens when Androids strike there too? Which they inevitably will. Not to mention the rough time RIM is having in a lot of countries because of its hyper-juiced security, Android could step in now and get in the hands of businesses over there before RIM has a chance to negotiate a deal. Therefore, that would be a country lost to Android. Plus, now the guys in the local phone stores are predicting RIM's imminent demise.
    03-17-11 06:35 AM
    On the "keeping everything in sync" note, I am quite sure SugarSync will be there to solve that problem...

Twitter
    Last edited by diegonei; 03-17-11 at 11:46 PM.
    03-17-11 11:41 PM
    Plus, now the guys in the local phone stores are predicting RIM's imminent demise.
    Oh no they must be doomed if people one step up from asking 'do you want fries with that' are predicting their imminent demise.
    03-18-11 04:29 AM
    I'm not suggesting music is the only thing you can load on it. I'm simply wondering why anyone might want to:

1) pay more for storage space to replicate files they carry on their phone
    2) deal with the hassle of syncing yet another device.

I understand storing other MM files like video and photos. Audio seems different to me, though. There may very well be a good reason - I just can't think of one.
    It's useful that's why. Say your on a plane you already have your tablet on instead of getting your phone just continue using your tablet. It's the ease of use. I'm getting the Playbook as a media player.
    03-18-11 06:16 AM
    Once again, '67 is right. He might appear trollish but he does have a point. Your business-only device, is as every bit consumer as the Androids and the iThingys. Let's face it, RIM has to either become a consumer-desired device, or die/become very inferior in the eyes of the US/UK markets. True, it had a worldwide market to attend to, but what happens when Androids strike there too? Which they inevitably will. Not to mention the rough time RIM is having in a lot of countries because of its hyper-juiced security, Android could step in now and get in the hands of businesses over there before RIM has a chance to negotiate a deal. Therefore, that would be a country lost to Android. Plus, now the guys in the local phone stores are predicting RIM's imminent demise.
    Is this a complaint? Because everybody is whining that BB has stayed too focused on its enterprise customers and not enough so on Joe Consumer, which is why they're going to be dead and buried inside of a month. So now they're coming out with the first of what should be many new devices that by all expectations are going to better bridge that gap, and now people are being critical of that.
    03-18-11 06:53 AM
    Is this a complaint? Because everybody is whining that BB has stayed too focused on its enterprise customers and not enough so on Joe Consumer, which is why they're going to be dead and buried inside of a month. So now they're coming out with the first of what should be many new devices that by all expectations are going to better bridge that gap, and now people are being critical of that.
    I'm just saying, Android will most likely strike in 3rd world countries. It's picked up momentum in the UK. The 3rd world countries where RIM is being faced with the almighty banhammer are even bigger gold mines to Android. Whether they stay enterprise or shift to consumer, the fact is Android could screw them over on both sides of the platform, consumer and enterprise.

That said, RIM had better do well or Jim/Mike are getting an S&M session, with guest sadist Rihanna... I can't wait to lap up my free 16GB PlayBook for developing an app though. RIM has the potential, it needs to stop being arrogant and RELEASE RELEASE RELEASE.
    03-18-11 08:16 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD