I own both of these devices, however these are the reasons why i keep reaching for the playbook.

1) Web Browsing- My ipad is annoying for web browsing, firstly most of the major news sites detect i have an ipad and try to get me to download their app or want me to pay to view the news. My playbook doesn't do this i can just read without anyone detecting me. Also I hate the apps made for website on the ipad, would rather just use the browser. example "trip advisor"

2) Gaming- The playbook has better games for it by far, especially love the first person shooters. Also holding the playbook reminds me of my old sega game gear. the apple games that are popular like temple run are actually quite terrible, no idea why people like these games.

3) BB Bridge, obviously this is only good if you got a blackberry, but its a cool feature not only has it allowed me to tether unlimited almost everywhere in asia but also i make a lot of use of the remote control and enjoy showing it off.

4) Multitaking- simply the gestures can't be beat on the playbook. cant stand finding out which apps are running and having to close them on my ipad.

Not to be completly biased i do have a few things i like about my ipad namely skype, battery, wifi performance and the apple podcast store.
    05-24-13 04:51 PM
    Good to hear your comments and comparisons. I have my gripes with the PB but mainly over BB's broken promises and software support. Still a great device though.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-24-13 05:17 PM
    I use my PlayBook every day. Emails are great, weather apps look great, and the PlayBook is an outstanding gaming device. The mapping apps are perfect for the PlayBook 's size. The battery lasts all day, even with heavy use. I hope my PlayBook lasts forever, or I will have to buy another!!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 05:53 PM
    I've had a playbook since it came out. I agree it's a good device. I love the multitasking capabilities and being able to swipe from App to apply easily, I love the 7" form and the battery life. But to say it has better games than iPad is just insane. All the decent first person shooters you talk about i.e. Modern combat, 9mm, dead space etc... were on iPad/iPhone way before playbook. The gaming experience on playbook has certainly improved but the lack of support from some of the major games developers is one of the main reasons the playbook hasn't been a massive seller like ios (and android devices)
    05-25-13 07:19 AM
    I use my PlayBook every day. Emails are great, weather apps look great, and the PlayBook is an outstanding gaming device. The mapping apps are perfect for the PlayBook 's size. The battery lasts all day, even with heavy use. I hope my PlayBook lasts forever, or I will have to buy another!!

Posted via CB10
    Apart from the gaming bit because I don't do games, your post relates exactly to my use and feelings about my pb. As they are on offer at the moment in the UK for �99 I am out this afternoon to buy another four.
    05-25-13 07:29 AM
    What mapping apps do you use? The stock Bing app is next to useless, Google Maps sideloaded doesn't work sometimes, and OsmAnd+ is a bit slow.
    sad_old_man and nojotech like this.
    05-25-13 07:35 AM
    What mapping apps do you use? The stock Bing app is next to useless, Google Maps sideloaded doesn't work sometimes, and OsmAnd+ is a bit slow.
    Oooohhhh you are cheeky asking personal questions like that, but I do like you so I use Magellan mainly. Anyway I thought you were still locked in my cellar?
    05-25-13 07:55 AM
    Oooohhhh you are cheeky asking personal questions like that, but I do like you so I use Magellan mainly. Anyway I thought you were still locked in my cellar?
    I use Viewranger and it works fine.
    05-25-13 08:28 AM
    I use Viewranger and it works fine.
    I'm happy for you but I didn't ask the question! The little devil hanging on the cliff did.
    05-25-13 08:31 AM
    I agree the UI is far superior. But the PB is SO slow compared to my iPad 4!
    05-25-13 08:34 AM
    I own both of these devices
    Me too!

1) Web Browsing- My ipad is annoying for web browsing,
    My big issue with browsing on the PlayBook is its stability. It's roughly comparable in rendering to my Mini. Some sites load faster on the mini, some load on the PlayBook a bit quicker in my experience. The mini generally doesn't have checkerboarding and has fewer 'stalling when loading' issues. Not sure if that's the PlayBook browser or the websites being tested on the mini and not the PlayBook, but it's annoying.

But the PlayBook browser crashing? That's insane! It happens constantly for me ... even on sites like crackberry.com and youtube.com. The browser on BlackBerry 10 is reason enough for me to want it on the PlayBook.

2) Gaming- The playbook has better games for it by far, especially love the first person shooters.
    I'm a firm believer that gaming is one of the PlayBook's overlooked secrets. I've had several people look at me in complete surprise when they see something like DEAD SPACE or MODERN COMBAT on it. BlackBerry's reputation as a business device over-shadows it a lot, I guess. People expect BRICK BREAKER and are then totally surprised.

That said, iOS is almost always the platform that game developers develop on first and put the most effort into. Can't really agree that the PlayBook has "better games", even though I think it has a surprising number of good games. The GPU on the newer iPad hardware is pretty powerful too. Granted, most games won't push it to "the max" because the devs want to reach the largest audience, but iPad is the gold standard here.

4) Multitaking- simply the gestures can't be beat on the playbook. cant stand finding out which apps are running and having to close them on my ipad.
    This is one of the biggest things I like better about PlayBook. I love its gesture UI and find myself gesturing accidentally on my iOS devices now.
    kbz1960, Richard Kapp and VJgamer like this.
    05-25-13 08:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    How does your batter last all day with heavy use? With just browsing over bridge, some IM, email and a little BBM using it 40 minutes out of an hour it will last maybe 7 hours. Unless you consider that all day.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-25-13 08:50 AM
    I agree the UI is far superior. But the PB is SO slow compared to my iPad 4!
    Well what do you expect? The PB is 2 or 3 years older than the ipad 4

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    05-25-13 08:57 AM
    How does your batter last all day with heavy use? With just browsing over bridge, some IM, email and a little BBM using it 40 minutes out of an hour it will last maybe 7 hours. Unless you consider that all day.
    Na na ni na na, mine lasts all day as well as wot his does!!!!!! It must be your magnetic personality type thingy that drains your playbook battery. Also try not pushing the keys on the keyboard to hard as this drains the battery as does using it as a mini surf board!
    05-25-13 09:00 AM
    Na na ni na na, mine lasts all day as well as wot his does!!!!!! It must be your magnetic personality type thingy that drains your playbook battery. Also try not pushing the keys on the keyboard to hard as this drains the battery as does using it as a mini surf board!
    I guess so LOL. Hell my battery doesn't last all day at home on wifi with bluetooth off if I use it at all.
    05-25-13 09:09 AM
    Well what do you expect? The PB is 2 or 3 years older than the ipad 4

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    Well, my CLK500 is 3 years older than my A180 CDI, but is much quicker.
    05-25-13 10:14 AM
    Heh, that woeful devil on the cliff Anyway I was wondering about free mapping apps for PB, I've already got full offline mapping for most of the world on my Nokia devices.
    05-25-13 10:27 AM
    Agree with everything apart from number 2. The ipad has a much much better gaming and app selection

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-25-13 10:32 AM
    you people must have playbook battery issues if it lasts one day ... my 16 gb pb goes for 4 days on wifi , 5 days on bridge , more then one week on standby

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    05-25-13 11:15 AM
    Heh, that woeful devil on the cliff Anyway I was wondering about free mapping apps for PB, I've already got full offline mapping for most of the world on my Nokia devices.
    You are indeed the devil incarnate! Mentioning my old company on this hallowed BlackBerry fan boy site!

I cannot even bring myself to type the word Nokia in public, let alone admit that I was employed by them. Do you want a development N95 or perhaps a development N8?

I won't mention the original communicator, it might turn you into an angel!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 11:54 AM
    you people must have playbook battery issues if it lasts one day ... my 16 gb pb goes for 4 days on wifi , 5 days on bridge , more then one week on standby

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    So would mine if all it did was lay there in standby.
    05-25-13 12:26 PM
    So would mine if all it did was lay there in standby.
    did I say mine is not used ?
    05-25-13 02:20 PM
    You are indeed the devil incarnate! Mentioning my old company on this hallowed BlackBerry fan boy site!

I cannot even bring myself to type the word Nokia in public, let alone admit that I was employed by them. Do you want a development N95 or perhaps a development N8?

I won't mention the original communicator, it might turn you into an angel!

Posted via CB10
    I want the n8 it is still the daddy of photos
    05-25-13 02:21 PM
    You have to be kidding?? The ipad is way better!! There is no comparison!!!

Seriously better shooters on the PB?? LOL

I'm not an apple fan boy by any means but there is no way the PB is better then the ipad. Maybe when BB10 comes around but not as it stands!
    05-25-13 02:24 PM
    You have to be kidding?? The ipad is way better!! There is no comparison!!!

Seriously better shooters on the PB?? LOL

I'm not an apple fan boy by any means but there is no way the PB is better then the ipad. Maybe when BB10 comes around but not as it stands!
    Oh god not another "it will all be better when bb10 comes to the pb". Yet again I will categorically state that "YOU ALREADY HAVE BB10 ON THE PB". For gods sake it was the development platform for bb10. When will people wake up?

Why do you think Z10 owners compare their phone to a miniature pb? I wonder why? For some reason bb don't want to or will not switch on the functions of bb10 on the pb that it already has coded in its OS that they turned on and are working on the Z10. Don't ask me why, ask RIM?

Let's be honest, how much investment would be required to develop and write two completely separate OSs and market them on? Yes your correct, the same hardware????????????

We were the guinea pigs with our shiny new pbs. When the sales of the bb10 phones covers the cost of the development tool, the pb, they may or may not let the guinea pigs have bb10.

If they do, I don't care.
    If they don't, I don't care.

Why would I want what I already have?
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-25-13 02:55 PM
46 12