Folks, brand new hear. Had BB for years and has been looking into buying a tablet without having to be locked into a contract. Came across the Playbook recently and it sound great. I will only use it for business travel (email, docs, web, etc) so don't care much about apps. It seem that the Playbook is the perfect solution specially I can teather it to my Torch. All good so far
    Got on the NEt to check pricing for 64gb and I was surprised it varies from $350 all the way to $700+, what is the catch here guys? What am I missing?
    I am from Melbourne Australia. Here are some of the links I am talking about, are they all selling the same thing?
    - 32gb, $698
    Buy Blackberry Playbook 32GB | Read Reviews | BIG W Online Store Australia
    - 64gb, $349
    Blackberry PlayBook Tablet 64GB | Cheap, Unlocked & Outright | MobiCity Australia
    There are lots more but you get the idea
    Thanks
    Raf
    07-19-12 12:43 AM
    Yes. They are all selling the same thing. There are three PB models currently for sale that differ only in the size of memory fitted (16GB, 32GB & 64GB) - they are otherwise identical in all respects.

The prices of PB have fallen dramatically recently to try and light a fire under the sales figures and to shift some inventory. Some of those prices look to be the old price points.

Shops will sell at whatever price they think will work - I don't know for sure how these things work, but if a smaller shop buys stock from a distributor at a higher price, they would surely want to sell it on at a price that doesn't make a loss for them. Maybe that's the reason for the higher prices?

Ultimately common sense should prevail - just buy the cheapest PB from a reputable supplier - the box will contain the same PB regardless of the source.
    07-19-12 01:03 AM
    Thanks JeepBB, what about the OS? Some do mention that they have OS1 but easily upgradable to OS2 and some don't mention what OS version on they. Should I care? Is it true I can upgrade from OS1 to OS2? Any cost involved?
    07-19-12 01:08 AM
    The OS update is generally done OverTheAir and actually, if the tablet is new, will be part of the setup process. You NEED wifi to setup the tablet. There is NO charge for the update.
    07-19-12 01:20 AM
    Thanks JeepBB, what about the OS? Some do mention that they have OS1 but easily upgradable to OS2 and some don't mention what OS version on they. Should I care? Is it true I can upgrade from OS1 to OS2? Any cost involved?
    Same OS, same hardware (except memory).

I don't know what OS PB's are being shipped with these days, but it doesn't actually matter.

When you power it up for the first time, you'll be led through a wizard on the PB that'll download the latest OS from RIM's servers (make sure you run the wizard in the vicinity of a good WiFi connection - the OS is pretty big).

The OS update will be free. They always are.

[As an aside: I recall reading a while back that RIM cannot legally charge for OS updates, or make them selectively available - it's in the small print of the T&Cs - but the availability and frequency of OS updates is entirely in RIM's power. They don't have to update the OS, but if they do, it has to available to all... and free!]
    07-19-12 01:21 AM
    Curses!!! Beaten to it by F2... LOL

Shouldn't you be in bed my friend? It must be silly o'clock where you are?
    07-19-12 01:25 AM
    Cheers guys, you've been great
    07-19-12 01:26 AM
    Curses!!! Beaten to it by F2... LOL

Shouldn't you be in bed my friend? It must be silly o'clock where you are?
    I only raised my hand because I thought you'd still be in bed or shaving and showering and off to work! But your answer was more thorough whereas mine was tossed out, as you suspect, just before a LATE bedtime.
    07-19-12 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD