Some people seem to expect BB10 as a sort of massiah. However :

1) Waiting until mid 2013 doesn't make sense from a user's point of view

2) It is is not specified how BB10 will be superior to other OS at that time

3) Interest from apps developers is not guaranteed

4) It is not guaranteed that RIM will still exist at that time

5) It is not even guaranteed that BB10 will be bug-free

I would be far more interested in paying for a port of Android Jelly Bean. With proper funding it would probably come earlier than BB10, be more reliable and bring more apps. With Android flexibility it would even be possible to apply some of RIM's great interface ideas, like the upward swipe.

I think BB10 is not a hope, it's the main impediment threatening RIM's survival. Even for the phones most informed buyers are not buying now, they are waiting for the next generation. A shift to Android and the sales would boost sales immediately.

An alternative is to join Tizen. BB10 is great for a few Crackberry users, but for the rest of the world it simply does not exist.
    Michel Souris likes this.
    10-17-12 05:20 AM
    1) I Agree
    2) it is not about being superior, but user experience and feels
    3) For some developers it's a good change to show themselves instead of drowning in the mountain of apps in Apple or Android storer. Firefox had the same problems in the early years and now company's do think about compatibility with IE, Google and Firefox. These company's also develop for blackberry os7 and will no doubt make the transfer to bb10
    4) You can say that for every company.
    5) It will not be bug free, neither is iOs, Android, Windows, Symbian .... Do you want me to go on?

I am a Crackberry guest, use a playbook, a nokia 2710 and a Sony Vaio with W7
    kbz1960, FF22, Carl Estes and 1 others like this.
    10-17-12 05:38 AM
    1 I'm not sure what the hurry is about, what awesome.bar are they going to throw at us that makes bb10 all that much better than what we have other than it being new. I don't understand what having the LATEST GREATEST is all about.
    2) As far as I know, it's QNX with a modified UI? I don't understand the question.

3) Very true. I would think is going to have to do a better job of getting the core 3rd party apps on board. I hate to dwell on this, but the current selection of fart apps is pathetic.

4) Also true, but there is no guarantee that we will be here either. We are slated to all die in a fiery explosion around the end of December so smoke me if you got em.

5) Unless you live in a different world than I do, there is no such thing as bug free technology. The more complicated something gets, the more bugs there are bound to be in it. There is no tablet/smart phone out there that is bug free.

Honestly, if you want an android tablet, buy one. There are tons of them on the market and the playbook doesn't need to be one of them.
    10-17-12 07:20 AM
    Good,bad or otherwise I will be there the day it's comes out. It's a BlackBerry good enough for me.
    10-17-12 07:25 AM
    My upgrade isn't until sometime in July

It doesn't have to be superior, just a good experience that I like.

Nothing in life is guaranteed other than death and taxes.

Repeat of above.

Show me an OS that is.
    pantlesspenguin and esk369 like this.
    10-17-12 07:39 AM
    RIM have apparently said somewhere at sometime or another that they are working to get what they consider the top 100 apps from other platforms to be available on BB10. I read that in some thread here, although I never actually saw any statement of such a thing from RIM. Hopefully whoever it was said that was correct, and RIM are indeed working on that. IMO, that takes care of 3). 5) is irrelevant as virtually all software has bugs, especially software as large as an OS. 4), hopefully not an issue. BB10 phones should be launching before BB10 comes to the PB and should hopefully boost sales for RIM. 1) there isn't much choice over, there is no option of getting it now. 2) it's going to have a better UI and numerous improved/new features which make it a better overall OS. Details of this stuff has been trickling through, but RIM want to keep some surprises to launch.

Answering questions in order is too mainstream for me
    10-17-12 07:40 AM
    It will be what it will be. Would I like it sooner - yes. That will not speed it up. Conclusion - I'm not prepared to go out and buy/pay for any other device at this time so I am waiting as there are no other choices.

Don't wait - sell your pb or give it away and find a device that is not waiting for the its next OS.
    kbz1960 and esk369 like this.
    10-17-12 08:19 AM
    This is why: I'm under contract for another 2 years so I wont be getting BB10. However I want to see the resurgence of a Canadian tech company. I'm interested in the company's story as a business case study. I am curious to see how they can advance mobile technology.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-17-12 08:39 AM
    This is why: I'm under contract for another 2 years so I wont be getting BB10. However I want to see the resurgence of a Canadian tech company. I'm interested in the company's story as a business case study. I am curious to see how they can advance mobile technology.
    Wait... RIM is a Canadian company?!?!.... Screw these guys, I'm buying an iPhone.
    madman0141, FF22 and alan510 like this.
    10-17-12 08:45 AM
    RE: Why hope for BB10?

There is no choice for those who don't want "i" and/or "A" devices but to wait and hope... regardless of what...
    10-17-12 10:36 AM
    The more you wait, the more you expect from this device. Hope very much in BB 10.
    10-17-12 03:47 PM

1) Waiting until mid 2013 doesn't make sense from a user's point of view

2) It is is not specified how BB10 will be superior to other OS at that time

3) Interest from apps developers is not guaranteed

4) It is not guaranteed that RIM will still exist at that time

5) It is not even guaranteed that BB10 will be bug-free

I would be far more interested in paying for a port of Android Jelly Bean. With proper funding it would probably come earlier than BB10, be more reliable and bring more apps. With Android flexibility it would even be possible to apply some of RIM's great interface ideas, like the upward swipe.

I think BB10 is not a hope, it's the main impediment threatening RIM's survival. Even for the phones most informed buyers are not buying now, they are waiting for the next generation. A shift to Android and the sales would boost sales immediately.

An alternative is to join Tizen. BB10 is great for a few Crackberry users, but for the rest of the world it simply does not exist.
    You posted this in the Playbook section so I will give my feed back for tablets.

I won't go into the details you post but I can give you my rationale.

Cannot stomach Apple software. Their hardware is nice but tied to their software leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Tried android and found it sluggish and overly complicated.

Tried Playbook and it was the platform that seemed most intuitive to how I operate. I haven't looked back. If BB10 enhances this further I can wait. PB and my BB are a nice combo. More than enough power in my hands to make the wait pretty easy. Things are great for consumers at the moment; lots of choice at every pricepoint. Hope you find something to your liking.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-17-12 04:12 PM
    I understand your point but I refuse to stand in a line all night to pay for a cell phone and my BlackBerry does all I need. BB10 will not be the second coming but it will be an improvement over 7.
    Also like that cry baby in the NY times I want people to judghe me by my cell phone.
    esk369 and Waqiuddin like this.
    10-17-12 04:29 PM
    There are no real guarantees in life. I'm hoping BB10 will be amazing and am willing to wait without jumping to any unfounded conclusions. I fell in love with my 8330 and haven't wanted anything but Blackberry since. Anyone that isn't so inclined has many devices to choose from and should pick one that meets their wants and needs. Simple as that.
    10-17-12 04:33 PM
    Why hope:

- RIM is not dead
    - BB10 is a solid secure OS
    - Blackberry has millions of users
    - Many people WILL wait for BB10
    - Many don't have to wait because they don't have a contract expire until well after BB10 launches
    - BB10 is fresh, new, is launching with many apps and developers are stoked to bring their apps to RIM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    10-17-12 06:39 PM

BB is stronger in Asia and in many other countries. My guess is that their patience will pay off come BB10.
    10-17-12 07:20 PM
    No offense but thinking RIM will adopt Android at this point is a lot more hopeless than BB10. It would be a fast way to market that gives RIM zero long term control or advantage.

Are you talking about someone else making an Android port that is a copy of the BB10 look and feel? Not sure? Sorry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    FF22, Toodeurep, Masahiro and 1 others like this.
    10-17-12 09:44 PM
    Because i dont want designed in california made in china.
    blusls likes this.
    10-18-12 02:33 AM
    Huh?

Speak for yourself.

I have two BB devices I'm happy with. When the time comes I'll buy a BB10 device. Already tried apple and had enough of that. Will never buy Android for many reasons, big one is non-existant security, and the other being it seems their devices have zero support after release.

Why hate on BB10? Theres plenty of android sites for you. Trying to justify your choices here?

I don't 'hope' for BB10. I know its going to be good.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-18-12 02:55 AM
    No offense but thinking RIM will adopt Android at this point is a lot more hopeless than BB10.
    I know, I know RIM will not do something obvious that would immediately save the company. I just feel compelled to say it would save them.

In the segment of alternative OS, the current version is still less good than Symbian or Bada, which are yet scheduled to die now. You should have seen this month update of Symbian to version FP2, it feels so much more reliable, professional and clean than OS 2.1

In 2013 BB10 will have to compete with Tizen and maybe others in the segment of alternative OS. The main OS, Android and Ios, will become better and you can rest assure that if there is anything interesting in the beta versions of BB10, they will quickly implement it, better and quicker than RIM. And then Windows 8 will increase its shares probably.

And then with RIM's history of releases, there is a probability that BB10 will come with important bugs or unjustifiable shortcomings.

It would be a fast way to market that gives RIM zero long term control or advantage.
    Zero long term control, immediate financial advantage, reliable system and needed apps. Possibility to customize interface, access to system code to add security code. And... survival. Maybe survival is a prerequisite before demanding total long-term control.

Are you talking about someone else making an Android port that is a copy of the BB10 look and feel? Not sure? Sorry.
    As far as I know developers like XDA are not interested in the playbook. They consider it dead and to difficult to crack. It would take an incentive by RIM, motivated by a wish for survival.
    10-18-12 09:03 AM
    For rim to produce another android tablet into an already over saturated market place is, quite honestly, dumb. Your opinion of the other 2 os's listed are just that, opinion. I'm unfamiliar with any tablet that currently uses any of those os's Perhaps my own ignorance, but if they were worth mentioning, I'm sure I'd have heard about it.

Your statement about immediate financial advantage, I'm not sure how you back that up. You're guessing at best or perhaps just wishful thinking.

I think I can safely say, no one here wants android on their PB. There are already tons of really good and bad android tablets out there. We bought playbooks because we wanted an alternative to the other 2. If you seriously aren't happy with your pb, get something else.

I can't stress enough that your comment about os's with bugs is ridiculous. THEY ALL HAVE BUGS. I'm starting to wonder of you are merely trolling at this point.
    kbz1960, Masahiro, I am JT and 2 others like this.
    10-18-12 09:19 AM
    How are everyone beside Samsung doing with android? Are you suggesting that governments and high security would go for an XDA ROM?
    esk369 likes this.
    10-18-12 09:21 AM
    I think I can safely say, no one here wants android on their PB.
    Yeah yeah but everyone wants this awkward Android emulator.

If you seriously aren't happy with your pb, get something else.
    Nobody is happy with the pb. It's just on Crackberry you find a few people who venerate RIM.

And I have something else. I have a Samsung 7.7. I just wish my pb would do a bit more than radio and displaying photos. Well, displaying photos without DLNA I mean. My cheap Symbian phone has DLNA to display photos on TV..

I can't stress enough that your comment about os's with bugs is ridiculous. THEY ALL HAVE BUGS. I'm starting to wonder of you are merely trolling at this point.
    Not the kind of alpha-grade bugs you find on pb.
    10-18-12 09:41 AM
    Well Captain Exaggeration, I'd highly suggest you sell the pb today. The android emulator seems to work fine for what it is.

"Nobody is happy with the pb", We'll "Nobody" should go and sell his pb and get something else because he/she seems extremely unsatisfied with their purchase. No one cares about symbian. If it was that awesome sauce, we'd all be using it now instead of android, qnx, iOS, but we aren't are we? It's easy to make a simple os bug free when it has no features or only needs to do simple tasks.

Google "Bugs for android and iOS", the list of perceived bugs listed by users for both is huge. Your statement about alpha-grade is again, exaggerated. I believe I've personally experienced 2 bugs since I've been using my pb. One being the crashing of the browser when visiting an Apple web site (I know funny huh?) and Kobo books not working offline with the last release before the 2.1 update. The only reason I found any of them is because i read the complaints on crackberry. I'd have never found the kobo bug on my own because my phone/pb are always bridged.

I'm sorry your pb experience sucks, but not everyone is in the same boat as you.
    Bobcat665 and duhoh like this.
    10-18-12 09:50 AM
    It's not only that the pb sooks now, it's RIM showing no sign of improvement whatsoever in their methods and still claiming they will conquer the markets in 2013 with an unknown and probably underwhelming - and maybe even more delayed - OS.

And there is no 'we', there are just a few hundred people on Cracberry, and most the former supporters who tried something else are long gone.

And praising RIM in their present condition is not helping them.

Sent from my Galaxy tab using the real Tapatalk on the real Android
    10-18-12 10:04 AM
80 123 ...