Yes RIM doesn't care about us or any of their customers because they want to go under. Just because you or I or someone else doesn't get what they want doesn't mean they don't care.

You know how easy it is to update an OS that is brand new for how it is being used because you've written so many OS's yourself? As for a bug free OS, I don't think one exists that doesn't have some kind of bugs somewhere or another. Just look at how long it can take and windows still isn't bug free.

A history of Windows - Microsoft Windows

But yes I understand the frustration but I think they are working hard to get it right. It does take time esp on something new for the way it is being used.
    Maybe you haven't noticed but RIM's control in the phone market is not the greatest right now, and their tablet market is non existing. These numbers have dropped a lot in the last years and do you know why? Because RIM cares more about what they want than what you want. People want touchscreen phones, but RIM gives you endless keyboard phones. I personally like both, but I like the fact of having the option. HTC is a company that is delivering what people want. If people want touchscreen phones, then HTC will give you just that. I stopped looking at BB phones years ago for this very reason.

Have you ever bought something in the past and the item wasn't fully ready to be used? Have you ever bought a TV and cable worked but not DVD? A stereo that didn't play music? An MP3 Player that didn't play MP3's? When you buy something and pay hundreds of dollars for it, you expect it to be working right, and if not you expect someone is working day and night until at least 60% of the problems are fixed. Its 2011, we expect certain things to exist already. Keyboard spell checker is something small but yet so powerful and mandatory to have. Waiting 6 months for them to add that and its still not here, does not sound like they care all that much. Yeah I'm sure they are working, and I'm sure they are working very hard. But simple updates for features does not take months of work. Let me tell you that RIM doesn't seem to be heading in the right direction when managing the QNX OS. If in the last 6 months RIM showed us this, then I wonder what the next 6 months will be like. Will the Playbook ever receive the updates it needs in a timely fashion and regularly? I truly hope so, but at this point RIM's contribution hasn't been great.
    At this point RIM is treating the Playbook like a HUGE marketing tool with their 2.0 scheme. Really all they are doing is correcting their original flaw of releasing a tablet not ready for the masses. If RIM doesn't fix these issues soon, then I'm fully out of RIM's reach as a customer, cause their phones or tablets don't appeal to me. 1 upset customer in time becomes 1 customer they lose.

I say all this with mix feelings because I truly love the PB. Yesterday went to Fry's played with all the tablets for a good 2 hours. I can still say that I love my PB more than the rest.

Regarding Windows Bugs, yeah I know I been using Windows since 3.0. The only BIG difference is that Windows is mainstream and works for millions of different hardware combinations so becoming bug free is close to impossible. I believe having 1 OS for 1 hardware combination would help correct the bugs a lot easier and without much noticing from the user. Nothing is perfect and wouldn't expect an OS to be absolutely bug free.
    Last edited by mypb16; 09-25-11 at 09:25 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-25-11 09:12 AM
    Maybe you haven't noticed but RIM's control in the phone market is not the greatest right now, and their tablet market is non existing. These numbers have dropped a lot in the last years and do you know why? Because RIM cares more about what they want than what you want. People want touchscreen phones, but RIM gives you endless keyboard phones. I personally like both, but I like the fact of having the option. HTC is a company that is delivering what people want. If people want touchscreen phones, then HTC will give you just that. I stopped looking at BB phones years ago for this very reason.

Have you ever bought something in the past and the item wasn't fully ready to be used? Have you ever bought a TV and cable worked but not DVD? A stereo that didn't play music? An MP3 Player that didn't play MP3's? When you buy something and pay hundreds of dollars for it, you expect it to be working right, and if not you expect someone is working day and night until at least 60% of the problems are fixed. Its 2011, we expect certain things to exist already. Keyboard spell checker is something small but yet so powerful and mandatory to have. Waiting 6 months for them to add that and its still not here, does not sound like they care all that much. Yeah I'm sure they are working, and I'm sure they are working very hard. But simple updates for features does not take months of work. Let me tell you that RIM doesn't seem to be heading in the right direction when managing the QNX OS. If in the last 6 months RIM showed us this, then I wonder what the next 6 months will be like. Will the Playbook ever receive the updates it needs in a timely fashion and regularly? I truly hope so, but at this point RIM's contribution hasn't been great.
    At this point RIM is treating the Playbook like a HUGE marketing tool with their 2.0 scheme. Really all they are doing is correcting their original flaw of releasing a tablet not ready for the masses. If RIM doesn't fix these issues soon, then I'm fully out of RIM's reach as a customer, cause their phones or tablets don't appeal to me. 1 upset customer in time becomes 1 customer they lose.

I say all this with mix feelings because I truly love the PB. Yesterday went to Fry's played with all the tablets for a good 2 hours. I can still say that I love my PB more than the rest.

Regarding Windows Bugs, yeah I know I been using Windows since 3.0. The only BIG difference is that Windows is mainstream and works for millions of different hardware combinations so becoming bug free is close to impossible. I believe having 1 OS for 1 hardware combination would help correct the bugs a lot easier and without much noticing from the user. Nothing is perfect and wouldn't expect an OS to be absolutely bug free.
    If they listened to their true fans they would make nothing but keyboard phones. I guess after playing with all the tablets and you still prefer the playbook doesn't mean anything?

As for buying things not being fully ready to use or what I thought it was I normally return it for a full refund. I can also agree if RIM doesn't get me what was initially advertised or close to it or if they discontinue support for it that they will lose me as a customer also. Right now as long as they are supporting and updating it I'm willing to wait as it works great for most things I want out of it, just not all yet.
    09-25-11 09:32 AM
    I hate to disappoint but I do not think that RIM is working on anything for the PB right now and has all if it efforts in a QNX phone.
    So are you saying you completely disbelieve the existence of the upcoming 2.0 release, which was described in some detail during the earnings call, by one of the CEOs of the company? You think Mike just made that up, but has no intention of actually releasing anything more for the PlayBook this fall?

I don't really get it... can we assume you at least believe the world is not flat? ;-)
    black hole likes this.
    09-25-11 09:47 AM
    If they listened to their true fans they would make nothing but keyboard phones. I guess after playing with all the tablets and you still prefer the playbook doesn't mean anything?

As for buying things not being fully ready to use or what I thought it was I normally return it for a full refund. I can also agree if RIM doesn't get me what was initially advertised or close to it or if they discontinue support for it that they will lose me as a customer also. Right now as long as they are supporting and updating it I'm willing to wait as it works great for most things I want out of it, just not all yet.

I love my PB to death really. Everything about it makes me smile. The construction, sleekness, screen, feel of it in your hands, and I love that its all black. Besides having slow minor OS improvements, I can honestly say that to me no other tablet comes close. Guess I'm just extremely frustrated at RIM cause even though we own the tablet, they own the future of it. What would happened if the updates never come fast enough? By the the time I can start fully using my PB the warranty will expire. What if they discontinue my beloved PB, what then? I'm fully hoping that RIM will get it right for us soon. Please don't let us down.
    Last edited by mypb16; 09-25-11 at 10:13 AM.
    09-25-11 09:52 AM
    dont forget that qnx on the playbook is rims testbed for the qnx phones.

look at apple, they brought out the phones first, "perfected" their os (i use the term perfected very loosely), then released the ipad using the same os. rim does it the other way round and suddenly the sky is falling?

yes there are problems with the pb, but i cant see them dropping support for it any time soon. Even if they stop making the pb, chances are software development will continue off the back of the qnx phones

anyway, back to the original topic... personally i'm quite happy to wait on os2.0 and see what it brings, rather than get it in chunks, then again im one of the strange people who quite likes the pb as is... go figure. Hopefully giving them more time will let them iron out the bugs and also, more importantly, prepare a decent marketing campaign so people actually realise RIM are making a tablet
    09-25-11 10:42 AM
    Since it is quite evident that RIM is losing a lot of ground in the technology world, why don't they release small updates/groundbreaking apps for the Playbook a little at a time. They are instead saving them for V2.0.

It was nice when they were releasing them about a month apart. Why do they still have Skype in their App World advertisements? and the Astonishing Tribe Apps had better be in V2.0

Sorry about my rant
    Small updates frequently are great from the user perspective, but they incur a lot of time and effort for the manufacturer. Every release requires development, QA, marketing and support to be involved, even if the change is only a few lines of code. As an end user, I prefer that they spend their time gathering up a medium-size lump of updates before incurring the delay of going through those release steps.

I just only remember when I attend a meeting with of our biggest project in Dubai, and the project is already delayed by 2 months and the Project Manager is asking one of the Project Engineer of when the needed materials are going to be delivered, he said, exactly the same statement at some time after this month... he was fired rigth after that...

The point is, at some time after is not acceptable in Project Management... it has to be specific... a measureable... afterall, how can you manage something that is not measurable?... so, with RIM's statement, it only denote that even them are clueless of the situation... simply, they are not in control...

So, why RIM does not release the OS upgrade as they used to be? because they are not in control of the situation... and nobody care... since PlayBook, the product, is great... perfect... and the best tablet in the wholewide universe... no need to improve... that's what they are getting from majority feedback...
    At some time after is perfectly acceptable in project management when it comes to software projects. Many (most?) software companies explicitly avoid giving hard dates (Blizzard and id Software come to mind immediately). If investors or clients are particularly aggressive when asking for a date, the most you'll get from many companies is what quarter they expect to release within, or possibly which month.

The unpredictability of software releases is likely largely due to the relative immaturity of the sector, but in any event it's currently a reality and certainly not behaviour that only RIM engages in.
    09-25-11 11:54 AM
    I hate to disappoint but I do not think that RIM is working on anything for the PB right now and has all if it efforts in a QNX phone.
    yeah, their priority is probaby QNX phones but dosen't mean no one is doing anything for the playbook
    09-25-11 04:12 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD