Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2

Default why didnt the playbook gain much traction?

The Blackberry Playbook was another Storm 1 debacle. RIM hasn't done well bringing out new hardware, or software when it comes to all touch screen devices. They all have also seemed rushed to the market to keep up with the competition and fell flat.
    Words of Reason sent from my Nexus
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    The PlayBook and the BlackBerry Smartphones are based on two entirely different platforms.
    This I know But both platforms have been in development for years and RIM should have the resources to do this. They own both platforms! Is it so hard to tell an in-house Blackberry developer to work on an input module for Playbook?

If RIM expects third party developers to work on input modules like on Android, it should make it easy via API hooks and a comprehensive SDK. Seems to me like none of this has happened so we all end up waiting for RIM to deliver...

Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    The Blackberry Playbook was another Storm 1 debacle. RIM hasn't done well bringing out new hardware, or software when it comes to all touch screen devices. They all have also seemed rushed to the market to keep up with the competition and fell flat.
    While there are definitely things to criticize, the pb mechanically/technically is not a Storm. It might not be commercially successful (well, "might" is generous!) but it works pretty darn well. Swiping and interface and aspects of the OS are terrific. But, yes, aspects were definitely half-baked and are still only 3/4 baked!

Global Posts
    6,560 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryBrandon View Post
    As F2 pointed out, there's very little comparison. The Storm had a variety of headaches that go back to being under-spec'd in many ways.

The PlayBook, though, was NOT under-spec'd. Aside from the display, it's still competitive with the iPad Mini (and one might argue that with a lower-res display that the PlayBook stands a chance of improved battery life). The PlayBook was excellent hardware with a very good OS, compromised by some very unfortunate business decisions. The Storm had compromised hardware from the start.

Global Posts
    6,560 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by blueberrymerry View Post
    This I know But both platforms have been in development for years and RIM should have the resources to do this. They own both platforms! Is it so hard to tell an in-house Blackberry developer to work on an input module for Playbook?

If RIM expects third party developers to work on input modules like on Android, it should make it easy via API hooks and a comprehensive SDK. Seems to me like none of this has happened so we all end up waiting for RIM to deliver...
    The original intention with the PlayBook was that it would be able to run PBOS apps in emulation, and that might have been where the language support was to be implemented while "BBX" was made ready. Arguably, the first sign that something was seriously wrong at RIM was when they announced that this was being dropped.

actually the storm had pretty good specs for its time. the problem with the storm series is that the OS was the old BBOS that has memory issues galore and the OS was modified from a keyboard OS to a touch OS. The specs were better than the iphone at the current time. Screen had higher PPI even.
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    PTZ likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2

Default why didnt the playbook gain much traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    As F2 pointed out, there's very little comparison. The Storm had a variety of headaches that go back to being under-spec'd in many ways.

The PlayBook, though, was NOT under-spec'd. Aside from the display, it's still competitive with the iPad Mini (and one might argue that with a lower-res display that the PlayBook stands a chance of improved battery life). The PlayBook was excellent hardware with a very good OS, compromised by some very unfortunate business decisions. The Storm had compromised hardware from the start.
    By saying it is competitive with an iPad mini a device that came out well after it seems to me that it was rushed to release and under specifications. I mean that is very obvious to me, or am I wrong?
    Words of Reason sent from my Nexus
  8. PTZ
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

This is a.well worn topic. I agree with many of the observations made previously about the failure of the PB. I think the failure to market the device properly sealed its fate to the second tier. I was astounded at the poor retail situations that the PlayBook found itself in. BestBuy initially had their PB display by the cell phones and not with computers. Most of the time the floor model was either dead or needed the latest update- Staples was not much better. I went to many outlets because I had a bad case gadget fever then- I learned how to operate one standing there in the stores and became infatuated by it, marvelling too that other people did not see how great a device it was. Never was able to see someone bridge the device to their BB cell either. There should of been some kind of demonstration of this at the time unique ability. So a half baked os and no way to control the presentation of their product stifled its debut. The updates rectified most of the problems since but the damage was done to what should of been a real contender. Lack of apps hurt too (for the app lovers). I don't need many apps to be happy- thats just me. I think this is last time for me to comment on this kind of topic. Onto the new RIM OS 10 ! And the new phones!!!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234