In the United States, the Blackberry Playbook wasn't even in the running--at least not until its "fire sale." Note that the top non-Apple brand has been the HP Touchpad, due to that company's fire sale.

"Top 5 U.S. Tablet Brands (excluding Apple)
    Retail Sales Jan-Oct 2011

Manufacturer
    Unit Share

Hewlett Packard
    17%

Samsung
    16%

ASUS
    10%

Motorola
    9%

Acer
    9%"

Source: The NPD Group/Connected Handhelds Report
    12-06-11 07:15 PM
    people lie

blackberry playbook is selling and it is awesome, not a lie, honest - lol
    12-06-11 08:44 PM
    Reading people's Apple is paying people to bash RIM's conspiracy theories is starting to make this seem like a UFO sightings site. It's becoming more and more of a frequent occurrence of people thinking Apple sends evangelist to these sites to make RIM hate post, and now Apple is paying the media to destroy RIM. I mean this is sad people. On top of that RIM isn't being destroyed lol they are doing just fine outside of the US although doing bad in the US means a lot when you're talking about publicly traded companies.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-11 08:46 PM
    i heart my playbook and bb7 phone
    12-06-11 08:51 PM
    steve jobs has passed away my man, fyi

and apple can dish stuff out like smug advertising and just like a "hipster", they can't take anything in return, and can't handle any competitors
    12-06-11 08:55 PM
    Reading people's Apple is paying people to bash RIM's conspiracy theories is starting to make this seem like a UFO sightings site. It's becoming more and more of a frequent occurrence of people thinking Apple sends evangelist to these sites to make RIM hate post, and now Apple is paying the media to destroy RIM. I mean this is sad people. On top of that RIM isn't being destroyed lol they are doing just fine outside of the US although doing bad in the US means a lot when you're talking about publicly traded companies.

(my opinion) Apple isn't paying people directly to do this, they have pr firms that 'do what needs to be done'. Apple is trying to get the iPhone into business and government, RIM strong-holds, and to do this RIM's reputation needs to be tarnished - pr firms do this. RIM is making mistakes but news sources seem to be really hammering RIM.

Apple doesn't pay the media to act unfavourably towards RIM, their pr firms do that, they 'do what needs to be done'
    12-06-11 09:49 PM
    I have finally come to believe this conspiracy stuff. I saw an article with an Area 51 Byline. That clinches it.
    12-06-11 10:06 PM
    Who cares if it's selling well if RIM is losing money on each one and unlike the Kindle Fire, they don't have an environment to make up the losses.
    12-06-11 10:43 PM
    Apple doesn't pay the media to act unfavourably towards RIM, their pr firms do that, they 'do what needs to be done'
    It seems like you've thought of everything, so I just have one last question: who paid RIM to release the Storm and the PlayBook? Was that Apple or its PR firm?
    12-06-11 11:08 PM
    More RIM bashing at the below link.
    So many uneducated postings and alot of hate comments by a particular user.
    I'm starting to believe the guys running this website truly hates RIM, as proven by their lack of filtering/moderating certain posts.

reader discretion advised
    Deep discounts bolster BlackBerry PlayBook sales, study finds
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-07-11 06:52 AM
    (my opinion) Apple isn't paying people directly to do this, they have pr firms that 'do what needs to be done'. Apple is trying to get the iPhone into business and government, RIM strong-holds, and to do this RIM's reputation needs to be tarnished - pr firms do this. RIM is making mistakes but news sources seem to be really hammering RIM.

Well I would take this step further.

Apple is an American Company, RIM Canadian.

From what I have experienced Americans on the whole are completely incapable of comprehending let alone accepting that there is any life beyond their borders.

RIM is from another country............therefore it must be bad.

The media frenzy against RIM as of late is mind boggling.

I just bought a Playbook.........I'm impressed, it's dam good, I really like like.

I have a Torch 9800, it does everything I need it to do, I really like it.

I'm happy with RIM and their products, I suspect I'm not alone, yet if you listen to some media outlets I'm an ***** to use RIM products.
    12-07-11 07:24 AM

From what I have experienced Americans on the whole are completely incapable of comprehending let alone accepting that there is any life beyond their borders.

The media frenzy against RIM as of late is mind boggling.

I just bought a Playbook.........I'm impressed, it's dam good, I really like like.

I have a Torch 9800, it does everything I need it to do, I really like it.

I'm happy with RIM and their products, I suspect I'm not alone, yet if you listen to some media outlets I'm an ***** to use RIM products.
    Well friend? to the north it's so nice to see how you feel about us. Do you always lump everyone into one category by country or race by what some do or do not do?

I'd like to ask you how many products are made in USA now compared to before globalization and how many Canadian products are made elsewhere?

I comprehend that you think all Americans are ignorant which is the definition of ignorance. Good luck if/when you ever get invaded. BTW how many jobs has or did the USA create in Canada over the years by outsourcing or by having plants there?

Carry on.

EDIT: Directed to this person only.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-07-11 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add
    12-07-11 07:45 AM

I have to agree. No one in America buys products made from:

Samsung
    Honda
    Mitsubishi
    LG
    Yamaha

As for a media conspiracy against RIM, have you people seen some of the insane pundits that write about Apple? There is no bigger target for FUD. There is no bigger target for stupid law suits. There is no bigger target for fan site trolling. You conspiracy theorists just have a persecution complex. RIM is not getting special treatment. This is just business as usual in the tech enthusiast world. No one is spending extra effort on RIM because RIM, quite frankly, isn't important enough to bother with such a campaign. They are no threat to Apple or Google. I don't even thing MS notices RIM anymore. Get over yourselves.

If you are looking for someone to blame for making RIM look like fools, don't bother. RIM does a good job of that all by themselves.

Question for mods, why is this kind of rampant, generalized, anti-American racism allowed on these boards?
    Last edited by dandbj13; 12-07-11 at 07:49 AM.
    12-07-11 07:46 AM
    I think you are contradicting your own post. You admit RIM is making mistakes, then say you don't know why they media is hammering them.

And the fact that RIM is a Canadian company has nothing to do with it. Go take a look at Netflix, an American company. As their downward spiral continues, the media is destroying them.

So, you said it yourself. If you are going to make mistakes as a company, the media is going to rip you apart. No news here. Move along everyone...
    12-07-11 07:52 AM
    Well friends? to the north it's so nice to see how you feel about us. Do you always lump everyone into one category by country or race by what some do or do not do?

I'd like to ask you how many products are made in USA now compared to before globalization how many Canadian products are made elsewhere?

I comprehend that you think all Americans are ignorant which is the definition of ignorance. Good luck if/when you ever get invaded. BTW how many jobs has or did the USA create in Canada over the years by outsourcing or by having plants there?

Carry on.
    I'm from the north and by no means is associated with any type of ill will towards my fellow US friends.
    Let's not take one naive post and start a separation battle of CAN vs US.
    12-07-11 08:00 AM
    I'm from the north and by no means is associated with any type of ill will towards my fellow US friends.
    Let's not take one naive post and start a separation battle of CAN vs US.
    Sorry, guess I was the pot calling the kettle black. This isn't the first post I've seen on here with ill will projected at Americans in the USA or calling us all incompetent. It is OK I don't harbor any bad will to you all, well maybe your sports teams when they play my favorite team
    SumthinNew likes this.
    12-07-11 08:08 AM
    Unfortunately in the society that we live in, there are many ignorant people.
    Not only is it present outside in the real-world, it creeps on the internet also
    I just ignore them, because they resist being educated.
    Go SENS Go.
    12-07-11 08:47 AM
    You are right there and normally I do the same but I guess in last couple days I've seen or heard similar comments (not always here) and it got to me.

Anyway, love the playbook and hope it is selling and staying n hands.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-07-11 09:08 AM
    Funny things is, I know more people with playbooks than I do with iPads. These things sell easily. Yes it is not advertised as well as the iPad, but the thing that makes me mad about those commercials for the apple products is the way they make you think those are all apps that were created by Apple.
    12-07-11 09:09 AM
    Lol how do they make you think this? Sounds like That's how you're perceiving it.
    12-07-11 07:20 PM
    who says the Playbooks are not selling??
    are you kidding me?
    everywhere I go from small stores to superstores are all SOLD OUT.

16GB 32GB 64GB Sold Out everywhere Wal-Mart, FutureShop, and BestBuy, but I'm sure since the prices are back up again, I'm sure they'll have stock once again.

now that the retailers have put the prices back up to what it used to be, even posts on Kijiji & Craigslist are seeing their Playbook Ads selling within a day or two.

Please don't stop me from laughing....
    12-07-11 07:33 PM
    Funny things is, I know more people with playbooks than I do with iPads. These things sell easily. Yes it is not advertised as well as the iPad, but the thing that makes me mad about those commercials for the apple products is the way they make you think those are all apps that were created by Apple.
    Well, I know a lot more people with iPads than Playbooks--or anything else, for that matter. That's just the reality of the current market. The Playbook does sell easily at $200; but, according to RIM, it does not sell easily at all at its previous non-fire sale price. We'll see what the future holds, but I suspect Amazon has insured that $200 is the new price point for a 7" tablet. Wouldn't suprise me to see the Nook Tablet reduced to that price...

Commenting on a post above, I hope no one here really believes there is some kind of anti-Canadian sentiment to blame for poor Playbook sales in the U.S. First, most Americans do not pay much attention to where a tablet originates and probably do not even know RIM is Canadian. Second, Canada is generally considered friendly by those of us south of the border. I might come visit myself if it weren't so cold up there
    12-07-11 09:55 PM
    "Hmmmm...not sure if I heard they don't like Canadian Blackberry or Canadian black bear?
    Whoa, did you hear a twig snap? Better find ma!"

12-07-11 10:39 PM
    "Hmmmm...not sure if I heard they don't like Canadian Blackberry or Canadian black bear?
    Whoa, did you hear a twig snap? Better find ma!"

Click to view quoted image
    Quick, where's that pepper spray I carried all around Jasper on a 6 day backpack!!!!!
    12-07-11 11:57 PM
    I might come visit myself if it weren't so cold up there
    That's it right there lol. General lack of info about your northern friends! I'm an expat - and I would never have remained in Canada if it weren't for the fact that summers are gorgeous - much better, in fact, than the UK which doesn't get as cold in winter.

Back on topic. I'm a daily reader of Computerworld and ZDNet. Now that PB bashing mission has been accomplished - successfully I might add - they have adopted a policy of silence, unless it's a really juicy bit of bad RIM news. I've read tons of articles where they compare tablets or talk about wifi vs 3G data plans etc. The PB just does not exist in their eyes. Bridge makes the above mentioned dilemma irrelevant, for example - and they just did not factor it into the balance of the article. It happens far too often for it not to be intentional. I agree that the sentiment is not necessarily anti-Canadian...it's just that RIM is the latest favourite punch-bag!
    12-08-11 12:34 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD