While most of our wishes will be fullfilled with OS 2.0, many of us still want to see Skype coming to the Playbook. The consensus has been that the third-party app is out of RIM's control and is up to Microsoft to developed. But I was wondering why RIM can't go the easy way and simply integrate Skype into the Playbook's native Video Chat app.

This works OK on the HP Touchpad. The Touchpad also doesn't have a dedicated Skype app, but Skype video and audio calls are integrated into the system.

Any thoughts why this might be the case?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-22-12 at 11:41 PM.
    01-22-12 06:13 PM
    While most of our wishes will be fullfilled with OS 2.0, many of us still want to see Skype coming to the Playbook. The consensus has been that the third-party app is out of RIM's control and is up to Microsoft to be developed. But I was wondering why RIM can't go the easy way and simply integrate Skype into the Playbook's native Video Chat app.

This works OK on the HP Touchpad. They also don't have a dedicated Skype app but Skype video and audio calls are integrated into the system.

Any thoughts why this might be the case?
    I would think that before you could "integrate" Skype into anything you'd have to have Skype's permission, and now that Skype will be controlled by Microsoft. . .
    Flexin and kennyliu like this.
    01-22-12 06:18 PM
    I would think that before you could "integrate" Skype into anything you'd have to have Skype's permission, and now that Skype will be controlled by Microsoft. . .
    Thanks, but isn't it in both companies' best interest to do so? Of course, unless MS sees RIM as a rival to their WP7 platform, which would be a lousy explanation given Skype has been made available to iOS and Android users.
    01-22-12 06:33 PM
    Skype is great looking (I have never used it) but might I suggest something else?

Visit this site and let them know we want Tango. I use it on my Android phone and home computer to talk to iPhones, iPads, iPods and other home computers. It looks to me like they have "planned" Tango for BB phones so if we ALL go there and make our numbers heard they will listen to us. You can log in and comment/vote through other existing accounts (gmail, twitter, facebook) or create a user there.

Tango on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet : Tango Support Center
    kennyliu and gladiatorofyale like this.
    01-22-12 06:42 PM
    obviously if Verizon Blackberries can have Skype there is no technical barrier, so there must be an exclusivity contract somehow, somewhere that prevents Skype and RIM from making additional Skype applications, nobody is talking though about the true reason, that there is a technical issue i simply will not buy.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-22-12 06:54 PM
    Skype is great looking (I have never used it) but might I suggest something else?

Visit this site and let them know we want Tango. I use it on my Android phone and home computer to talk to iPhones, iPads, iPods and other home computers. It looks to me like they have "planned" Tango for BB phones so if we ALL go there and make our numbers heard they will listen to us. You can log in and comment/vote through other existing accounts (gmail, twitter, facebook) or create a user there.

Tango on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet : Tango Support Center
    Thanks, but I would think that it will take years (if ever) for Tango to catch up with Skype. Unless MS does something stupid.
    01-22-12 07:08 PM
    Maybe they will They already showed OS2 email integrating LinkedIn and Twitter

Why can't they do this with their video player They have a working relationship with Microsoft.
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-22-12 at 07:44 PM.
    01-22-12 07:18 PM
    MS just wants to spite us BB users. Just like the market wants to bash on RIM. its more personal then business.
    skibnik likes this.
    01-22-12 07:43 PM
    verizon bb have skype ????
    01-22-12 07:52 PM
    Skype has so many holes it is a security swiss cheese it opens so many ports and is against RIMS core value of security above all which is what made it successful in the first place

I doubt you will ever see it . If you want just another consumer tab that will run every app available dont buy a pb.
    01-22-12 08:01 PM
    verizon bb have skype ????
    Skype chat, not video chat

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-22-12 08:03 PM
    Skype has so many holes it is a security swiss cheese it opens so many ports and is against RIMS core value of security above all which is what made it successful in the first place

I doubt you will ever see it . If you want just another consumer tab that will run every app available dont buy a pb.
    So the reason Skype isn't on the PB is "security" now? Oh. Okay.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Last edited by trelawrence; 01-22-12 at 08:27 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-22-12 08:04 PM

Say "no" to apps for the Playbook. We want security. Who cares about functionality

Btw, Skype is used by businesses, too.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-22-12 08:14 PM
    this sums it up.

also, most major apps for bb are written by bb. facebook, messenger apps are all done in house. a skype client would most likely be the same. integrate it with bbm and you have a winner.
    01-22-12 08:49 PM
    Will skype not work through android when we get it officially?

...Don't know if it's been said before, but I skype all the time on the playbook with
    imo.im
    It's not the greatest but works half decent with handy features, an app would definitely still be preferred.
    kennyliu and azrin640 like this.
    01-22-12 09:48 PM
    imo.im doesn't give you voice like skype. people want to at least have the ability of making a voice call to someone. bonus for video calls. if i wanted to just text someone i wouldn't use imo.im. i'd use bbm or text messages.

that's why people want skype on the playbook. they already use it elsewhere.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-22-12 10:24 PM
    imo.im doesn't give you voice like skype. people want to at least have the ability of making a voice call to someone. bonus for video calls. if i wanted to just text someone i wouldn't use imo.im. i'd use bbm or text messages.

that's why people want skype on the playbook. they already use it elsewhere.
    Besides, there is IM+, which takes care of text chatting.
    01-22-12 10:27 PM
    imo does voice and video, is it not working for you? I've tested both recently...
    01-22-12 11:00 PM
    haven't installed it. no need. i can hold out for skype, or use video chat. just tested it with a friend. worked great. i forgot how beautiful she was...
    01-22-12 11:16 PM
    imo does voice and video, is it not working for you? I've tested both recently...
    Thanks. I haven't tried imo online service.

In any case, it would be great to see an app instead of an online service. But I guess imo may be a workaround in the meantime.
    01-22-12 11:17 PM
    ya, nothing to download, its holding me over until there's an app.

here's a playbook screenshot of a video call before they pick up.
    01-22-12 11:29 PM
    Will skype not work through android when we get it officially?

...Don't know if it's been said before, but I skype all the time on the playbook with
    imo.im
    It's not the greatest but works half decent with handy features, an app would definitely still be preferred.
    skype chat will work via android, but currently the camera api for the android player doesn't work, so no video.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    kennyliu and jrarrmy like this.
    01-22-12 11:30 PM
    Hello All,
    I have a friend that works for MS. The person spent last week at skype working on projects. I asked about BB PB . The reply was you can use it on the Apple and PC's. I put a pitch in for the Playbook. It didn't sound like anything is coming.
    01-22-12 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD