Interesting Review.

Why 9/10 People Would Prefer the BlackBerry Playbook over the iPad | Mobile and Social Media

Let me start off by saying that I have been testing the BlackBerry Playbook for over a month now, gathering my thoughts, jotting down some points, and waiting till all my impressions were gathered and formulated. No, I was not waiting for Steve Jobs to resign to write my review of the Playbook and include such a blatantly anti-Apple title as you see above. The truth is I do not doubt the superiority of the iPad as a tablet computer or its affect on the dominance the Apple tablet now displays in this new tablet market. I do not believe the Playbook will ever outsell the iPad or even come close to it.

Having said that, I have found that when I leave to work every morning and decide which tablet is accompanying me that day, my iPad 2, Galaxy Tab, or Playbook, there seems to be a clear pattern. On days on which I have no meetings or on which I am meeting friends, it is the iPad 2, no question. On days that I have business meetings, in the office or out of it, on which I need a tablet that I can use for real work, you know, like word processing, multitasking, and real web browsing, the Playbook won every time. What is ironic is the name Playbook, since playing is the last thing I would ever use it for. It should be called a workbook, but I guess that sounds a whole lot less sexy and exciting.

From the second I opened the box with my new BlackBerry tablet, I was impressed, but not a little impressed, impressed like “Wait, let me check again that the address this package came from is indeed RIM and not some other company that has a record of making superior products both hardware and software” impressed.

If the iPad 2 is an Aston Martin DB9 (a true beauty), and the Galaxy Tab is a nice looking Porsche (cute and powerful, but not too practical), the BlackBerry Playbook is a 1985 Ford Mustang (freaking powerhouse/workhorse). The build quality of the Playbook is superb. It is truly the perfect size, and again, sorry Jobs, I know you just resigned, but the Playbook IS the proof that 9.7 inch tablets are not the only way to go. The Playbook just feels right.

As for the software, let’s not forget that while the Playbook is made by RIM, it is not running the BlackBerry OS, but rather QNX, which will be the engine of the future generation of BlackBerry devices. Guess what? When the smartphones running QNX start coming to market, there is a seriously good chance I am migrating back to BlackBerry. This OS is pure awesomeness and almost every single level.

It took me ten seconds to understand the basic principle of the QNX UI. There is not one button on the front of the Playbook and everything, and I mean everything, is controlled with swipe gestures. The processor of the Playbook and I promised myself this would not be a technical review, facilitates the smoothest gestures and fastest response times on any tablet I have ever used. Yes, even that one. This thing is fast!

You can swipe from the bottom up to display apps, the top down to display settings of any app, right to left and left to right to move between active apps and most importantly, when you are in an app and you swipe up, you activate the multitasking, which leads the tablet space by leaps and bounds. You can configure whether a movie you are watching in HD continues to play when you move to another app or pauses, but the fact is, the multitasking on the Playbook is true multitasking and provides me with a boost of productivity over the iPad that makes the other shortcomings seem insignificant.

Instead of babbling on with praises of the Playbook, I figured I would give a list of unique characteristics that the Playbook offers and have seriously impressed me over the past month:

Bottom and Top Swipe- Simple UI that takes Apple’s one button structure to a whole new level, no buttons. After a ten second learning curve, the swipe-based UI is as intuitive, responsive, and just fun to use.

Videos are Amazing: Staying away from resolution and numbers, when you watch a video in HD on the Playbook, and this happened every single time I showed it to someone without one single exception, you just have to say “Wow”. Sharp, smooth, and just the closest thing to real life I have ever seen on a screen.

Responsive: As I have said, there is zero delay on the Playbook and that is across the board whether you are using the built in browser, third party apps, or just the QNX interface. It is blazing fast.

USB Charging: Yes, a little less exciting but I was happy to discover that the Playbook charges over USB and it does so fast. A full charge over USB took me maybe an hour. The battery life is phenomenal.

Simple UI: In addition to the swiping gestures, the general interface of the Playbook is just so intuitive. Everything is where it should be. I guess I could just sum this point up by saying that the Playbook’s UI is the polar opposite of the traditional BlackBerry UI. That is not the case for BlackBerry 7.0, but that is a different topic for a different time.

Data Transfer Works: One of the most annoying things about the iPad has to be the dependency on iTunes. Amazing to me that I cannot drag and drop files of any kind onto my iPad. How does Apple get away with this stuff? The truth is even with the Galaxy Tab, transferring data was somewhat unstable. Not the case with the Playbook and when I wanted to copy a file from my computer to the Playbook, the device acted as a regular USB external drive. Could not be simpler.

Easy Video Play: As mentioned above, the video playback on the Playbook is one of its most impressive features. There is no delay, no freezes, and in my experience, it plays pretty much anything and everything. Again, not going into formats and codecs but suffice to say, there was not one video format I threw at it that it did not handle gracefully.

Solid Build: I talked about this above, but God, I love the material, size, and overall feel of the Playbook. If you are a guy and wearing pants with normal size pockets, you will be surprised to discover that the Playbook fits perfectly in your pocket. It might bring on some “Is that a Playbook in your pocket or are you just happy to see me” jokes, but it does fit nicely.

Stellar Keyboard: This point is crucial. Remember how I said I choose the Playbook over the iPad for real work? Yea, well the keyboard is the main reason. It is the best in its class, period. Typing on the Playbook is natural, comfortable, and is basically what typing on a tablet computer should be. Did you ever try typing a long email or document on the iPad? Yea, good luck with that.

Full Flash support: Again, pretty cheap of me to take a shot at Jobs on the day he retires, but while Flash does cause problems on some devices like my Macbook Air, the Playbook proves to the world, in a way that no Android tablet has, that Flash can work on tablet computers, and work well.

REAL Multitasking: The multitasking on the Playbook, oh the multitasking on the Playbook. I have to say, I have never used Web OS (RIP) but a week before HP sent it off to a better place, one of the company’s PR reps emailed me to tell me they were sending me a Touchpad for review. A few days later, it died a sudden and tragic death, which came suddenly and shocked the tech world as a whole, so I never tried it. I am told the multitasking is similar to QNX, but since it is gone, I can safely and confidently say, NOTHING compares to the multitasking capabilities of the Playbook. Nothing.

OK, there is much more to say about this superior device, but before I get labeled the world’s only Playbook fanboy (well, almost), there are some serious issues that need to be addressed in this review:

No Apps: iOS has 450k apps (100k for iPad), Android 250k, Ovi 50k, and Windows Phone 30k. The Playbook has hundreds if I am being nice. Now, to be fair, the number of apps I am seeing in the App World on the device is growing daily and has seriously increased since i first got the device. Having said that, some staple apps such as a free and solid Twitter app are nowhere to be found. This is a problem. Of course, RIM knows about this and is addressing this with the upcoming Android Player that will run Android apps. The thing is, no one knows when it is coming or how the implementation will be.

A little on the heavy side: This is something I have read other people complain about. The truth is, the Playbook is not the lightest tablet around, but if I have to choose between a light Galaxy Tab that feels like a toy and not a device I could use for all my computing needs, and a Playbook that weighs a little more but is as solid as a brick, the choice is clear in my mind.

No email (Are you kidding me?): OK, RIM, the part of this review you have been dreading is here. Let’s make a deal. I am happy to spread the word abou the superb job you did on building this fantastic tablet device, you have one thing you need to do in return. Stop making it so difficult for me! RIM, the company most famous for its stellar email solution, does not have a native email client on its tablet? Really? That is the most common question I have been asked when speaking to friends and colleagues about how great the Playbook is. There is only a certain number of times I can say “It is a technical problem and RIM is working on it”. This is 2011 RIM, we need email. Get on it!

OK folks, there you have it. RIM, the company so many of you have been quick to declare dead, has succeeded in releasing a tablet device, the only tablet device that not only gives the iPad a run for its money, it actually passes it on some of the curves. I will clarify once more for all the haters in the comments, I am not getting rid of my iPad, I still use and love it. I need those apps and I need that email, but the Playbook definitely provides many possible uses that the iPad falls very short on. Before you declare me nuts, spend some time with the Playbook, only a day or two, then you can go back and get your Apple fix. I promise you that the Playbook will impress you on almost all fronts.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-25-11 at 01:56 PM.
    08-25-11 01:51 PM
    With all the updates, these articles are old by the time they are written. What about the last update that brought 3G to the PB via Bridge! That's huge if you have a BB already! She's just another whiner (native email) that doesn't get all the benefits of a BB product because she didn't want a BB? I just don't get some ppl
    08-25-11 03:06 PM
    Nice write up for sure.

/Cue_in_the_iDefenders
    Infiniti14 likes this.
    08-25-11 03:08 PM
    With all the updates, these articles are old by the time they are written. What about the last update that brought 3G to the PB via Bridge! That's huge if you have a BB already! She's just another whiner (native email) that doesn't get all the benefits of a BB product because she didn't want a BB? I just don't get some ppl
    Pardon me. She wrote a pretty decent review.

Maybe she doesn't live on Crackberry like some of us and is not aware of all the recent updates.

You're right. I just don't get some ppl.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-25-11 at 03:19 PM.
    rjkolo likes this.
    08-25-11 03:17 PM
    This is not going to end well....
    Here we go again ....let the trolls strike....waiting now...
    08-25-11 03:25 PM
    Cool article. Yet for every 10 tablets sold, 9 of them are iPads (not real numbers, just exaggerating in response to the articles title).

Once RIMs new OS is a little more polished and comes with full features (PIM) it should become more popular. RIM definitely needs more marketing as well.
    08-25-11 03:26 PM
    I don't disagree, I love my PlayBook especially the MultiTask & Gestures. The feature I tell people why I prefer (sold my) it over the iPad.

I'm questioning Why Doesn't 9/10 Own the PlayBook? Cost is too high and poor/lack of Marketing.
    08-25-11 03:26 PM
    Nice review...Positive without being fanboyish. Soon even the issue of email will be moot. I didn't expect anything to be written concerning the recent update and the ability to use third party apps over bridge because it was just discovered. The more others are informed as the Playbook progresses, the more we let people know its growing list of features and how it benefits, the more we communicate this vital information in clear and non-fanboyish way, the more people will begin to see the light. We will then see more articles like this one. We will see more satisfied consumers and RIM's tablet market share will grow and grow.
    Last edited by newcollector; 08-25-11 at 03:38 PM.
    08-25-11 03:35 PM
    This is not going to end well....
    Here we go again ....let the trolls strike....waiting now...
    Usually happens between updates.

And since we just had one yesterday .....................
    08-25-11 03:36 PM
    Pardon me. She wrote a pretty decent review.

Maybe she doesn't live on Crackberry like some of us and is not aware of all the recent updates.

You're right. I just don't get some ppl.
    Ok well I should say it is an okay article. I think its "funny" that RIM is letting loose all these updates and the media can't keep up Good going RIM!

She didn't mention Bridge at all and its a key feature addressing her complaint. Either have to wait for it like she alludes to or if you have a BB use Bridge feature. Complain about missing N PIM and not mention Bridge = lumped in with the whiners.
    08-25-11 03:59 PM
    I'm questioning Why Doesn't 9/10 Own the PlayBook? Cost is too high and poor/lack of Marketing.
    It's hard to argue "cost" as a barrier when Apple has no problem selling iPads at the same prices. As for poor marketing, if that really were the solution then there's no excuse for RIM to not have improved their marketing over the last 3 years.
    08-25-11 04:10 PM
    I'm hoping with OS 2.0 we will see some real marketing.
    08-25-11 04:21 PM
    Ok well I should say it is an okay article. I think its "funny" that RIM is letting loose all these updates and the media can't keep up Good going RIM!

She didn't mention Bridge at all and its a key feature addressing her complaint. Either have to wait for it like she alludes to or if you have a BB use Bridge feature. Complain about missing N PIM and not mention Bridge = lumped in with the whiners.
    Quality review. I believe its mentioned in the review that she would switch back to a BB phone with QNX. So, it makes sense that she was unable to review that portion. Very good review from the perspective of a non BB ohone user.
    08-25-11 04:22 PM
    "not going in to formats and codecs" and this is one of the things I've been trying to find out. One of the annoying things about iPad to me is transcoding video (or at least reformatting it) so the hardware decoder works. There are apps (avplayer hd for example) that will decode pretty much any format and codec but when they have to use software decoding the iPad doesn't have enough horsepower together beyond about 640x480 video.

So, for example, will the playbook's video player play 1080p mkv format h.264 video?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.484128,65.842685
    08-25-11 04:30 PM
    Honestly i don't think it will matter how much better the playbook is than the iPad.

People want what people have. If you are in a room with 50 people and 30 of them have an iPad with 3 people with a PlayBook, Which do you think you will choose?

(Unless you are like me in which case I'd just pull out a HP Touchpad just to make everyone mad. )
    pipotobe, 00stryder and axllebeer like this.
    08-25-11 04:32 PM
    (Unless you are like me in which case I'd just pull out a HP Touchpad just to make everyone mad. )
    It's more likely to make people laugh.
    08-25-11 04:57 PM
    When it comes to build quality, there is no way Blackberry could compete with iPhone or Nokia, even Android devices have better build quality. RIM have absolutely garbage quality control and that is one of the main reason i switched over to Android. For those fanboys who want to disagree with me, please do some research on the playbook dead pixels, curve 9300, torch 1, and bold 9780 with the double input issue. When i pay over $500 for a state of art device, im expecting a solid device. But if you people could live with build quality issues because of your loyalty, then by all means. Im glad that i jumped ship to Android and i have no regrets. It does almost everything better than my bold, end of the story.
    08-25-11 05:04 PM
    Why only 9/10. This seems very low. I would have expected atleast 9.7 or 9.8 out of 10 unless ofcourse you are rounding down.
    08-25-11 05:12 PM
    I was at the AT&T store with my sister and her kids yesterday, and they had an iPad out on display. All three of them, without any prompting from me, commented on how the iPad is too big, too heavy, and the screen is nowhere near as sharp and crisp as on my PB. Plus, they said it would suck to carry it around. Thanks, Apple, for selling a few more people on the PlayBook.
    Nikeem24 and grant.palin like this.
    08-25-11 05:23 PM
    Nonsense! Build quality is the best by far ! Just feel this dense piece of hardware in your hands and compare against any tablet out there ! I couldn't find any microscopic misalignement or any loose part, this is rock solid.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    08-25-11 05:59 PM
    This was a good review. I agree with almost everything stated. Of course some of the info needed to be updated but it was a favorable review. Had I not already been a PB owner and was in the market for a tablet then this review could have definitely swayed me.
    Let's just hope that RIM meets the expected release dates for the much anticipated update with native email and the one to follow with Android Player.
    08-25-11 06:03 PM
    Before buying the playbooks we have now, I did some research on the internet and asked people at work. Normally, I am the guy who swims against current, who is always for the little guy and bet against the favorite. I said to myself, everybody I know has an Ipad. My brother has both Ipad and Ipad2. I decided to buy the playbook for me and for my wife. Truthfully, we love them. I agree with all the points in the article and I am in no hurry for updates or native e-mail etc. I can wait. But in the mean time, I can tell you that video chat, watching Bar�a play Real Madrid with my son on both playbooks just makes my day. If someone gives me an Ipad for free, I would take it. But when I am asked why the playbook, I say please buy it and you will see. It is like a nice dish that you have to taste first to like it. I continue to improve mu usage of the playbook by being here and learning. I am grateful to this site for the assistance I received when I was deciding what to buy. Only one thing I need to change, my experia x10 and my other experia mini professional. Yes I am using Sony Ericsson for smart phones. Go figure. Thank you.
    borobius likes this.
    08-25-11 06:13 PM
    Im glad that i jumped ship to Android and i have no regrets. It does almost everything better than my bold, end of the story.
    Glad you enjoy your Android and that your story has ended.

Not sure what Android and Bold have to do with the Playbook, but this story hasn't ended yet.

If fact, some find this story so interesting that they just can't put their book down.
    08-25-11 06:15 PM
    Based on sales figures, the keyword there is "few."
    You really have been beating the "Sales Figures Horse" to death on every single thread.

I'm surprised that even you haven't become tired of hearing yourself repeat the same thing, over and over and over again.

I think most have gotten your point by now.

I would rather have one Rolls Royce than a million bicycles.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-25-11 at 06:30 PM.
    ipras, Alberta Blue, buwee and 1 others like this.
    08-25-11 06:28 PM
    Why 9\10 would prefer the playboook over the iPad ?
    The writer is drunk,
    If not, why is that NOT happening
    Pb didn't sell up to half a million, the iPad sold over 9million last quarter
    Why didn't the ipad buyers get the pb ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 06:30 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD