Can't use skype's video codecs without their permission. & YES I think this is a MS/Skype issue. RIM has publicly stated that if skype were to say they would let Skype come to Blackberry that RIM would have an entire team at their door 48 hours later. RIM will even write the program for skype. Skype just has to let them.
    The SKYPE codec is VP8, acquired by google and for the most part... open source in an attempt to become the HTML5 standard video codec.

Thus permission is not MS's/Skype's to grant.

If the PB is unable to make use of VP8 then Skype will never come.
    06-23-12 10:50 PM
    Of all my friends and acquaintances, I know exactly two who own Blackberries... and one of them shares this house with me. I know zero people who own a Playbook. Everyone I would like to VC with owns iPads and iPhones and have Skype installed on them. That 78 million number doesn't impress me... it represents, what, a whopping 6% of the overall market?
    Agree... I know a single colleague with a BB curve, not someone I would need or wish to VOIP with.

I use SKYPE for business purposes as well as social... and contacts run in to hundreds here too.
    06-23-12 10:57 PM
    If we don't get Skype then we need RIM to make a videochat app for Windows that ties into their Playbook Video Chat servers, so people on Windows machines can talk to Playbook owners from their PC and vice-versa.

Make the videochat app so that at least one person has to have a Playbook... don't allow the servers to be used by people on PC to PC chat only.

This way I can talk to family without a Playbook, but when they see how cool it is, they may want to buy one. And unless you talk to a Playbook owner, nobody else on a PC can use it as a regular PC to PC chat app, so it will keep traffic fairly low but promote Playbook usage.

Come on RIM, why not go with this idea? That will kill Skype for good and who needs them anyways. Make a chat app for PC that I can give to my family members so they can talk to my Playbook!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Cracklen likes this.
    06-24-12 12:03 AM
    If we don't get Skype then we need RIM to make a videochat app for Windows that ties into their Playbook Video Chat servers, so people on Windows machines can talk to Playbook owners from their PC and vice-versa.

Make the videochat app so that at least one person has to have a Playbook... don't allow the servers to be used by people on PC to PC chat only.

This way I can talk to family without a Playbook, but when they see how cool it is, they may want to buy one. And unless you talk to a Playbook owner, nobody else on a PC can use it as a regular PC to PC chat app, so it will keep traffic fairly low but promote Playbook usage.

Come on RIM, why not go with this idea? That will kill Skype for good and who needs them anyways. Make a chat app for PC that I can give to my family members so they can talk to my Playbook!

I like how you think
    06-24-12 04:42 PM

So let me get this right...

You want to expand the market RIM doesn't have by forcing non-RIM product users to download, install, sign-up and use this mythical exclusive software.

This software is going to a massive hit! Everyone knows folk with BB's or PB's, it will be downloaded by millions of users every hour so that us PB/BB owners can finally reach out and touch somebody.

You also want me to convince a potential client to jump through these loops in order to chat to me on my professional grade tablet for what might be a one off 3 minute chat.

The PB is pretty exclusive right now, we don't want to make it inclusive at all do we? What would we do that for?
    06-24-12 06:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

I am the founder of a video chat service ; Free Video Chat - Quick & Simple | FaceFlow
    FaceFlow is currently available from the web (requires flash). We have several Playbook users who are impressed by how well it works in their browser, you may want to check it out if you own a Playbook.
    We are also working on an app for the upcoming devices that will run BB10, we'll also create an app specifically for the Playbook, but until I'd advise Playbook users to use our web-based app (video conferencing with up to 4 people, all free)

Thank you!
    Dany
    Altarocks likes this.
    11-13-12 03:05 PM
    So far so good on this one all. Check it out!
    11-13-12 06:49 PM
    So far so good on this one all. Check it out!
    Thanks for trying us out, glad you liked it
    11-14-12 02:57 AM
    So everyone needs to shut up... it is coming, they are working with the new Cascades AND also waiting for BB10 OS to release to the Playbook
    Well as a consumer, something that is coming in summer 2013 doesn't exist for me.
    11-14-12 03:42 PM
    Who needs skype? The people who virtually have no acquaintances that own a pkaybook?
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-14-12 05:28 PM
    Hi there what is the app called u use
    01-09-13 03:48 PM
    i agree bb pb video chat is awesome.. but not everyone has a playbook... so a cross platform messenger is desperately required!
    01-09-13 04:18 PM
    like most of us we are using a PC or laptop with Skype
    I travel a lot. mostly overseas and I run my business calls on SKYPE and have a Skype out Number
    If PB with BB10 has no SKYPE I will move to an other platform, I can,t afford to loose business, if business friendly RIM does not move
    at the moment I forward all my calls to Comwave, which has no voicemailbox, or I forward to my Vonage, where I get a printed email message
    Calling back to my message I use my BB 9730, turning off my cell connection, using my WIFI option so I can call back to the US
    Other calls I must use my Comwave app
    Cumbersome
    01-09-13 05:16 PM
    I agree. Perhaps there is a bunch of people that could care less about Skype. Doesn't change the fact that there's also a bunch that do. It is a fact that it IS one of the most asked for apps and it would be a mistake not to have it on BB10.
    01-09-13 05:20 PM
    It's not the quality of the program that's the problem, it's the (lack of) popularity.

Great video conference software isn't very useful if there is nobody on the other end to talk to. Nobody else I know has a Playbook.

Skype is the "industry standard" for VOIP and video conferencing. Without it, Playbook is cut off from the rest of the world in this regard.
    exactly but what do mean with skype is a standard.. isnt it?
    02-07-13 01:43 AM
    RE: Who needs Skype? Playbook video chat is amazing!

First, as of the last quarter of 2012, Skype has over 600 million of users all over the world... so, that over 600 million users needs Skype... and second, yeah, PB video chat is amazing...
    Xoma likes this.
    02-07-13 03:18 AM
    OK, so I agree: Video Chat works very well; good quality sound and video. But, as is the case with Ichat in Apple, it has the limitation that only Playbook users can use. Is Skype the answer?. Well, my experience with Skype is two fold:
    - It runs on most operative systems (pretty obvious)
    - Quality is nowhere near Ichat or Video chat.

Solution to the problem?: open Video chat to other systems. Whether this is possible or not is beyond me.
    curve-20 likes this.
    02-07-13 05:33 AM
    In my opinion, PB has an amazing video chat. And those one who wantn skype, just download skype to your PC (iOS, etc.)
    02-07-13 01:26 PM
    I am very impressed with the PlayBook's video chat but am also short of contacts. Apart from the Faceflow alternative mentioned above, Comwave's free app also allows video chatting to any phone with video capability, other portable device with the Comwave app installed or over the web using computers. Unfortunately, the Comwave website does charge a fee though I don't know what it is.

I believe you can dial out from Skype so one can dial out to the Playbook's phone number through the Comwave app.
    02-07-13 03:40 PM
    It's not the quality of the program that's the problem, it's the (lack of) popularity.

Great video conference software isn't very useful if there is nobody on the other end to talk to. Nobody else I know has a Playbook.

Skype is the "industry standard" for VOIP and video conferencing. Without it, Playbook is cut off from the rest of the world in this regard.
    That's the BLUF (bottom line up front). I know of exactly one other family member who has a Playbook - a niece to whom I gave my old 16 GB version.
    02-07-13 03:44 PM
    Ineed skyp because my wife in america does not have a pb.
    why can't skep do version for the playbook?-how hard can it be?-is would pay for it.
    02-16-13 04:01 PM
    Like most people here, PB video chat is great if the people within your circle all have PB and use video chat. Unfortunately, most of our friends and family have access to Skype but not PB video chat.
    _______

Just give BBRY more time. Of course it is not likely to be a real threat to Skype. But I hope more PBs enter the market to make it a force to be reckoned with.
    02-16-13 04:09 PM
    Ineed skyp because my wife in america does not have a pb.
    why can't skep do version for the playbook?-how hard can it be?-is would pay for it.
    Have ya given them a call or sent them a query/request yet ?
    02-16-13 05:39 PM
    i agree bb pb video chat is awesome.. but not everyone has a playbook... so a cross platform messenger is desperately required!
    _______

Hear here.
    02-18-13 03:43 PM
    Solution to the problem?: open Video chat to other systems. Whether this is possible or not is beyond me.[/QUOTE]
    _______

If possible, wouldn't that be nice for BBRY? Maybe they'll get some licensing revenue
    02-18-13 03:47 PM
125 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD