Why would Skype let them integrate a free service into their video chat, when they can release an app for it that gives them more chances to monetize those users.

It doesn't really make sense. Didn't they crack down on third party skype video chat apps like Fring for that same reason? Putting users on their network with no potential benefit to skype themselves?

Personally I don't think Skype is coming unless it's in a full app. They won't just let RIM integrate their video chat into the Contact list without some monetization strategy as well (which can be provided, but doesn't sound like it with the way people are talking about it).
    06-12-12 12:28 AM
    Why would Skype let them integrate a free service into their video chat, when they can release an app for it that gives them more chances to monetize those users.

It doesn't really make sense. Didn't they crack down on third party skype video chat apps like Fring for that same reason? Putting users on their network with no potential benefit to skype themselves?

Personally I don't think Skype is coming unless it's in a full app. They won't just let RIM integrate their video chat into the Contact list without some monetization strategy as well (which can be provided, but doesn't sound like it with the way people are talking about it).
    Skype integration doesn't necessarily mean that Skype calls (to phones) will be free.

webOS (HP TouchPad) has Skype integrated in its OS and you use your Skype balance to make calls (to phones). All Skype free services are still free though.
    06-12-12 12:56 AM
    The video chat on the Playbook is for sure excellent, I was so impressed with the quality after testing with another crackberry member that I promptly bought another one and shipped it overseas so my wife could chat with her family.

That said the video chat is worthess UNLESS you have another playbook to connect to....
    ...Unlike the mass of Droids that can use SKYPE to video chat with IPHONES, people on ipads or pc's, etc, etc, etc.

Blackberry simply does not have the luxury of leaving their video chat to BB devices alone....
    ...If they do that I can flat out guarantee it's game over for RIM.
    ...And if that happens it needs to be game over.
    Last edited by pythons; 06-12-12 at 01:09 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-12-12 01:07 AM
    and before you say it... he and I are fairly close, he works in Waterloo but comes home to Toronto every weekend to spend the weekends with his fiancee and friends
    I'm sure he can maintain his anonymity and still leak you a few details so that you can help prove the veracity of what you say. That would be one in the eye for the sceptical folks on here. What do you think?
    06-12-12 02:43 AM
    "Who needs Skype? Playbook video chat is amazing!"

Those of us who don't have a BB phone and don't use BB services as a consequence.........
    06-12-12 10:43 AM
    "Who needs Skype? Playbook video chat is amazing!"

Those of us who don't have a BB phone and don't use BB services as a consequence.........
    huh? what does that have to do with Skype OR video chatting? You don't need a BB phone to use the video chat let alone a BB service....
    06-12-12 10:45 AM
    The problem here is companies thinking that their way, and proprietary technology is the BEST way. As a consumer who likes choice this sucks.

I am very interested in the Playbook video chat since I hear that the background technology is SIP. I support SIP video conferencing for a big bank and have many meeting rooms I support. If I could use my playbook to actually contact any of these rooms I would be SUPERMAN! Using citrix I could perform support duties, and then test connections or call into rooms for live help from ANYWHERE. Unfortunately it only works with another Playbook. I would love to "DO" like their commercials say... but "CAN'T" because of the closed design.

As far as Skype goes, I use it for family and friends and would love that as well, but that would be for personal use, not business.
    06-12-12 10:48 AM
    This thread just made me very sad, because I was on the verge of buying a PB, but now I'm not so sure. I need to hear some movement on Skype availability soon, or it's probably a no-go for me -- I have a hard time with the idea of sinking $200 on the promise something MIGHT happen later. In that case, there's a good chance they'll get my $$$ later too, assuming I haven't spent it on something that gives me what I want/need now in the meantime.

Wait too long and the 16GB models will all sell-out and I might not be buying one at all. $250 at Wally World for a 32GB might be doable, but it's quickly nearing the ceiling of what I can, personally, afford to justify paying for a device that will only see moderate use (I work from home) and is more of a convenience than a necessity. Not saying it's a definite no, but this gives me serious pause. Without Skype, the front-facing camera is essentially useless to me.
    Last edited by jeremycrews; 06-14-12 at 03:23 AM.
    06-14-12 02:45 AM
    This thread just made me very sad, because I was on the verge of buying a PB, but now I'm not so sure. I need to hear some movement on Skype availability soon, or it's probably a no-go for me -- I have a hard time with the idea of sinking $200 on the promise something MIGHT happen later. In that case, there's a good chance they'll get my $$$ later too, assuming I haven't spent it on something that gives me what I want/need now in the meantime.

Wait too long and the 16GB models will all sell-out and I might not be buying one at all. $250 at Wally World for a 32GB might be doable, but it's quickly nearing the ceiling of what I can, personally, afford to justify paying for a device that will only see moderate use (I work from home) and is more of a convenience than a necessity. Not saying it's a definite no, but this gives me serious pause. Without Skype, the front-facing camera is essentially useless to me.
    If your only request and #1 feature is the skype, then for sure PB is not a perfect tablet for you.
    I think you need to start with making a summary of what you expect from your tablet. There is so many aspects that depend on your usage pattern. Gaming? Browsing? Documents edition? Portability? Bridge connection to your BB?
    Those are just few questions, and you are the only one to know the answers.

There were few threads on this around here, I believe...
    06-14-12 03:32 AM
    If your only request and #1 feature is the skype, then for sure PB is not a perfect tablet for you.
    I think you need to start with making a summary of what you expect from your tablet. There is so many aspects that depend on your usage pattern. Gaming? Browsing? Documents edition? Portability? Bridge connection to your BB?
    Those are just few questions, and you are the only one to know the answers.

There were few threads on this around here, I believe...
    And this folks, is why the PB will continue to fail in the eyes of other tablets... Do you actually realize what you are saying..

There are BASIC apps everything needs now to be competitive and to thrive.

The rationalizing about what the PlayBook does not have that it needs is too funny. I can't even put into words. We shouldn't have to ask questions about fundamental needs such as the most popular way to connect in the world today among other apps that EVERY other mainstream tablet has. This is the exact reason RIM's in the dumps.

I don't even use Skype and I know how badly it is needed, it and a few mainstream apps would single handedly launch the PB into the stratosphere.

But no, lets actually sit here and say maybe this isn't the tablet for you, LOL...?
    06-14-12 04:10 AM
    (...) But no, lets actually sit here and say maybe this isn't the tablet for you, LOL...?
    But is is that simple!
    I would love to get skype on PB. I am using it on my PC, and I would use it on PB. And actually I replied the OP earlier in the thread that video chat is not a replacement for me.

But skype availibity was not a key factor for me when I considered getting the playbook. For me it was the Bridge connection. The 7" form was #2

And for the skype itself, well, you need two to play this game. So RIM and Skype /Microsoft would need to be cooperating on this, and not only one side.
    06-14-12 04:24 AM
    And we are tired of all the 'whiners' complaining about the 'whiners' as they have all the so-called inside information ...... (it's just more promises)
    Where is your proof? Where is in in black and white?
    What makes you so special that we should believe you and stop complaining?
    I will add to this that almost no "insider information" types, since Playbook's launch, ever were vindicated by their supposed predictions coming true. They offer little more that "wait, coming soon" while cheap handheld gaming devices even get apps the playbook doesnt.

If blackberry phones offered the best phone call experience out there, but could only make and recieve calls from other blackberries, where would rim be right now?
    06-14-12 05:41 AM
    But is is that simple!
    I would love to get skype on PB. I am using it on my PC, and I would use it on PB. And actually I replied the OP earlier in the thread that video chat is not a replacement for me.

But skype availibity was not a key factor for me when I considered getting the playbook. For me it was the Bridge connection. The 7" form was #2

And for the skype itself, well, you need two to play this game. So RIM and Skype /Microsoft would need to be cooperating on this, and not only one side.
    Easy to say it wasn't a deciding factor for you, but it obviously is for the rest of the world. The lack of skype and other big time apps have hampered all backberries, all you have to do is look around lol. That is the simple fact in all of this.
    06-14-12 02:54 PM
    In truth, the most important factor for me is price, because, as I said previously, I don't NEED a tablet. I'm a guy; I like my toys. I don't buy jet skis or 'suped-up 4-wheelers. I have guns, but not an entire garage full of them. I buy stuff like the PB, because I WANT it, not because I NEED it, and so the more affordable the better.

I was all-set to buy an iPad 2 when the new one came out and the prices dropped. When they iPad 2 hit, the original iPad dropped to $299, so I was hoping for the same; instead, they left it at $399 (only $50 less than it was 2 weeks earlier), so screw that noise. At $200, the PB is pretty much perfect.

Being able to bridge to my BB is awesome, but, up until the 2.0 update hit this was actually more of a detriment, because the tablet was pretty much useless to anybody without a BB. They fixed that, so kudos to them for not being complete morons.

Skype availability would be fall right after that. The very reason I didn't buy the original iPad when it dropped to $299 was that it lacked a front-facing camera for Skype. I intended to wait for the iPad 2, then they iScrewed us on the pricing.

As I said before, I may still buy a PB even without Skype, but, in that case, I wish they hadn't even bothered with the front-facing camera at all -- it's a completely useless feature to 99% of users in the tablet marketplace without Skype, serving only to increase the overall price of the tablet itself.

MS Office compatibility is a big deal too, which is a score for the PB because the iPad requires a $10 app to do Word and I'm not sure if it'll do Excel/PowerPoint at all. I could make do with only Word, but I'm a Grad student, so having access to the rest is a big help. So much so, that I paid for Office to Go on my BB.

For the record, I'm also bothered by the lack of a microSD slot, but I'll get over that, I suppose.
    Last edited by jeremycrews; 06-14-12 at 04:28 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-14-12 03:57 PM
    The quality and ease of use is awesome. And no need to have a blackberry phone. Enjoy this feature A LOT.
    06-14-12 11:16 PM
    ....And that would increase the sales for playbooks....
    ....Which would draw more quality developers....

...We ALL should want skype on playbook even if we don't personally use it.
    I have never used nor do I need Skype. I do use the PlayBook Video Chat however now that my father, stepdaughter, and wife all have PlayBooks.

That being said, the PlayBook as well as BB10 all need Skype. Even if I never use it I recognize that 1,000's of others will, and therefore it needs to be there.
    jeremycrews likes this.
    06-19-12 07:36 PM
    Who needs Skype? Playbook video chat is amazing!

Me, because no-one else I know has a Playbook.
    Everyone I know has skype.
    so no matter how good the Pb chat is, it's total rubbish when you have to tango by yourself.
    Oh, and the post before mine here, citing "...it is coming..." don't help much does it.
    J
    And yours does?
    06-19-12 10:10 PM
    The Playbook Video Chat is very nice but some unfortunate folks don't have one so to chat with the try ReelPortal.com.

This VC is driven by the room concept. The use can log in and go into a room. Several people can VC as long as the know the room's name.

I like it better than Skype and best of all it is free. You can download an app on the PB for free as well.
    06-19-12 10:32 PM
    the number of people i know with a playbook... zero
    the number of people i know with skype... hundreds

this is why i need skype
    So your saying you have hundreds of friends with whom you would skype with? Wow you must be popular. I don't have half that many friends that are so close I feel the need to see, talk to, or skype.........yes I do have hundreds of facebook friends, but let's be serious, facebook friends are NOT real friends.
    06-19-12 11:58 PM

Besides, I don't believe this is an MS issue, but a RIM issue not supporting the video codec that SKYPE uses.
    Can't use skype's video codecs without their permission. & YES I think this is a MS/Skype issue. RIM has publicly stated that if skype were to say they would let Skype come to Blackberry that RIM would have an entire team at their door 48 hours later. RIM will even write the program for skype. Skype just has to let them.
    06-20-12 12:08 AM
    I have about 175 people I can Skype with when all my contact lists are synced with Skype. Of those I have probably only Skyped with about 60.

You might not be popular. That doesn't mean most other people aren't either.
    Ha I was waiting for someone to say that (was quicker then I expected).....see skyping with 60 people is a lot more believable then skying with 200......The point I was making was not how many people you COULD skype with, it's how many you WOULD realistically skype with.

& for the record, I think skype is BADLY needed. I have family with whom I would love to be able to skype with. For me its the biggest thing that's missing.....but no, I will never use it to skype with "hundreds" of people.
    06-20-12 12:29 AM
    And yours does?
    A facile response. His point of view is quite valid.
    06-20-12 12:31 AM
    The Playbook's video chat app is a very good implementation and it works quite well. The few times I've used it (because I only know two other people with Playbooks who I'd ever care to video chat with), I've really enjoyed the experience.

The problem with the Playbook's video chat is the same problem with BBM. While BBM is, in my opinion, the best implementation of chat available anywhere, I barely use it anymore since most of my BBM contacts have migrated to iOS.

Facetime became a factor for many people I know moving to iOS and the people who used to be on BBM are using iMessage. If you have the greatest technology and no one is using it, then what is the point?

If there was an OS-independent video chat client, I think that people would lose at least one reason for migrating away. Unfortunately, I don't think that it's going to be Skype for many reasons. Skype is facing major problems being integrated into WP7 and who knows what the barriers in Playbook OS/BB10 are? Skype has already indicated that it's not going to allocate resources to Skype development (I know that Alec Saunders offered up BB developers to help them if they want). And finally, I've been reading more and more lately how carriers don't like the idea of devices on their network allowing users to Skype instead of using their regular calling network or carrier-specific voice over IP options.
    umm...I think there are about 78 million people using a BB no?
    Last edited by buwee; 06-20-12 at 12:46 AM.
    06-20-12 12:34 AM
    All the ppl who don't have a PlayBook need Skype.. Also, all the ppl who don't have legs need a wheelchair.
    06-20-12 01:49 AM
    umm...I think there are about 78 million people using a BB no?
    Of all my friends and acquaintances, I know exactly two who own Blackberries... and one of them shares this house with me. I know zero people who own a Playbook. Everyone I would like to VC with owns iPads and iPhones and have Skype installed on them. That 78 million number doesn't impress me... it represents, what, a whopping 6% of the overall market?
    leedium likes this.
    06-23-12 10:39 PM
125 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD