I have a Kindle and bought quite a few books on it, but I didn't like being 'owned' by Amazon and beholden to them forever more.

I tried Kobo, but had a few problems which their support department were hopeless about. They didn't answer the questions they just sent out standard template mails that answered some other question.

So yesterday, when I was just about to buy another book from Amazon, I did a search for the book title +epub and found it immediately on smashwords.com.

The price was reasonable, and I had a choice of about a dozen formats.

I downloade as an epub and was reading it on my Playbook straight away.

But the great thing is I now have the epub forever, and so I'm not tied to Amazon or anyone else for that matter. I'm free.

I read the first book yesterday and bought another today and I wasn't even on wifi. I was tethered to my Blackberry phone and was amazed at how fast it downloaded.

I just love my Playbook more and more each day
    Kandoo-BB, jamesjmunro and hpjrt like this.
    03-29-12 05:32 PM
    Did a search for smartwords.com, no such animal! Are you sure this is the web name? Please post a link.
    03-29-12 07:51 PM
    Did a search for smartwords.com, no such animal! Are you sure this is the web name? Please post a link.
    You got the name wrong.
    03-29-12 08:38 PM
    03-29-12 09:18 PM
    I've searched for a few books that are on my reading list for Kindle, and none of them is on Smashwaords.
    03-29-12 09:20 PM
    Problem is, now you are "owned" by smashwords.com instead of amazon or kobo.
    03-29-12 09:22 PM
    I'm a convert from Palm days. Been using and reading ebooks since before they were popular. For the last ten years I have bought books from Fictionwise eBooks: Free eBooks, eBooks for your iPhone, BlackBerry, Android device, Symbian Mobile Phone, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Palm handheld, PC, Mac and more! they are the largest online ebooks store on the web. Many formats and both drm and drm free.
    03-29-12 11:51 PM
    Stupid me. I meant smashwords.com. It was late, forgive me
    03-30-12 04:05 AM
    Problem is, now you are "owned" by smashwords.com instead of amazon or kobo.
    No, because you download the file in the format you want and you have it forever more. You're not tied to smashwords at all. The choice of formats for the two books I got were everything from epub to pdf.
    03-30-12 04:07 AM
    I'm a convert from Palm days. Been using and reading ebooks since before they were popular. For the last ten years I have bought books from Fictionwise eBooks: Free eBooks, eBooks for your iPhone, BlackBerry, Android device, Symbian Mobile Phone, Windows Mobile Smartphone, Palm handheld, PC, Mac and more! they are the largest online ebooks store on the web. Many formats and both drm and drm free.
    Thanks for that list of other sources.

Hopefully, more and more authors will look at making their books available from these places and that way both readers and authors won't be beholden to Amazon forevermore.
    03-30-12 04:09 AM
    Thanks for the website. Being a cheap b@stard, I only read free ebooks so this will definitely help.
    03-30-12 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD