I wanna get the business edition, but my husband. says no that our home server is already just that. but there's so ,much more u camd do with it...from what I been readng.

how is it?
    11-02-12 12:20 AM
    I use the freebie Box that came with the PB Box app. It works fine- the good- 50 Gig storage for free (not sure if that still applies). The not so good- 100 MB file size limit. I also have freebie dropbox- the better- 300 MB file size limit- the not so good- only 2 gig total free storage. I also have sugarsync- 5 Gig total storage with no file size limit. I also have freebie skydrive- 25 gig storage (don't think that applies for new accounts) with a 1 or 2 gig file size limit. I also have freebie google drive- don't use it much so I'm not sure how much storage I have. They all work fine, but if you want to store media in the cloud and stream it to your PB you'll need to sideload one of a few android apps that are capable of this, since I'm not aware of any native apps or of any android apps in app world that will stream media.
    11-02-12 12:57 AM
    Works OK for the casual user and with 50 GB I'm probably not going to run out of space. Try the free version and see how you like it and whether you can live with its limitations. As for an opinion and comparison with other cloud services you would have to describe your anticipated requirements in a little more detail before anyone can give you a good reply.
    11-02-12 12:58 AM
    One.of my two Playbooks usb port wore out. I want to load over 1,000 pictures into it. Thought Cloud could do that. Instead, I can only load one file at a time? And, apparently I would need to leave in Cloud?
    Could I upload from computer to Cloud one folder of files at a time?
    11-02-12 03:57 AM
    One.of my two Playbooks usb port wore out. I want to load over 1,000 pictures into it. Thought Cloud could do that. Instead, I can only load one file at a time? And, apparently I would need to leave in Cloud?
    Could I upload from computer to Cloud one folder of files at a time?
    Yes, you can upload folders at one time but it needs to be done online. In my experience I have created a new folder on box first and then I uploaded it. I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of files you can upload at once even if your below the limit but I know you can upload multiple files at once. I am hopeful that this helps you.
    11-02-12 05:42 AM
    I like BOX and the 50GB given to me at first login. As others have mentioned, it is often best to create your folders online but with these simple management methods it is really nice. Might I also suggest the Files and Folders app from App World. This is a "must have" app for Playbook owners that use the cloud.
    Innovatology likes this.
    11-02-12 05:57 AM
    It's quite slow. I personally prefer Dropbox - much faster!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    11-02-12 06:05 AM
    Files & Folders will let you copy and paste multiple files/folders at once to/from any supported cloud service, including Box. Check out the free trial version to see if it fits your needs:
    11-02-12 07:23 AM
    Thumbs up for Files & Folders here, should be standard with the PB! I use skydrive lol
    Innovatology likes this.
    11-02-12 07:57 AM
    Never trusted the clouds. I prefer keeping my data with me. I'm old school.
    11-02-12 08:13 AM
    Box is indeed slower than Dropbox. What I like about Box though, are its sharing and collaboration features.
    Toodeurep and principal like this.
    11-02-12 09:26 AM
    I guess the real benefit on the business version is the sync software. Change it a file on the PC and it will sync the changes to the cloud. Unless you're in need for the extra file size upload limit (could be good for uploading 1080p videos), I'd just stay free.
    11-02-12 10:17 AM
    I have been using Box for about 2 weeks now (free version) on 2 PlayBooks, 2 laptops and 3 different desktops at work. The convenience is great, there are some limitations as stated previously, but overall I think it's great.
    11-02-12 03:33 PM
    My experience with Box has been good, I use it to transfer PDFs of my school readings every day so I don't have to haul around big books. I've got the sync app on my DTR and I use the website on my netbook. Nothing bad to say about it at all. The Playbook app works fine, I only wish they had one for the phone.

The only downside is that Dropbox is what most people use, so if you have to collaborate with others, you'll need to use that too. But for personal cloud syncing, Box is great, and the 50GB means pretty much unlimited for me.
    11-02-12 05:18 PM
    Box is brilliant, especially with a free 50GB
    11-02-12 05:47 PM
    Box is awesome. I use it daily and wont change back to any other cloud storage.
    11-02-12 05:50 PM
    Box is indeed slower than Dropbox. What I like about Box though, are its sharing and collaboration features.
    I have not yet tried BOX - I mean how many clouds can one have

What I like about Dropbox, is the easy way a link to a file can be copied and pasted into an email or forum like this. That was until they dropped the Public folder for new downloads. Now, files linked from Dropbox won't open in the Playbook Messages app but do in Gmail and other web based email apps and also on any other windows programs web based or not.

I have both Skydrive and GDrive. Maybe I don't know what I am doing, but in Skydrive if you link a photo, recipient sees it on a Skydrive web page, not just on it's own. G-Drive also not too handy at just linking.

I guess I should try BOX and SugarSync and see how they compare. My use so far of clouds, is backup of my laptop data and sharing an odd photo on forums and in emails. Any recommendations? So far Dropbox seems to fit best (except for those recipients using Messaging)
    11-02-12 06:33 PM
    I tried to use it because of its larger free storage. But it doesn't provide a desktop PC component where you quickly drop files into. You have to go to the website to manage files. Dropbox seems to be the best for convenience. But the free storage space is the smallest. I've since gotten into Asus Web Storage, which gives 8GB free space, and comes with a desktop component for easily dropping files into.

By the way, Google Drive isn't currently worth having, either. I tried it out and it doesn't provide any convenient way of downloading files onto your phone. You have to first make files available offline, then go find them and you can only move the offline files to where you need. It doesn't give a way to just copy the offline files.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 11-02-12 at 06:59 PM.
    11-02-12 06:47 PM
    I tried to use it because of its larger free storage. But it doesn't provide a desktop PC component where you quickly drop files into. You have to go to the website to manage files. Dropbox seems to be the best for convenience. But the free storage space is the smallest. I've since gotten into Asus Web Storage, which gives 8GB free space, and comes with a desktop component for easily dropping files into.
    BOX does have a PC component. Download Box Sync and all files you edit and/or add to to the designated folder will be synced automatically to the cloud server. Works well and is part of the free service.
    11-02-12 06:50 PM
    BOX does have a PC component. Download Box Sync and all files you edit and/or add to to the designated folder will be synced automatically to the cloud server. Works well and is part of the free service.
    Hmmm...it must be new because I searched the Box website recently and never found any kind of link or information about a PC component.

EDIT - Yeah, I just now checked and it is now providing a PC sync. It is new and wasn't that way a couple weeks ago - or however long ago it was when I last looked - and it wasn't available.

This will make a huge difference, then. Box may well be the one to have now.
    11-02-12 06:57 PM
    Here's are two pretty good articles comparing various cloud services, though you should note that they are 6 months old and not PlayBook-specific:

Cloud storage: a pricing and feature guide for consumers | Ars Technica

Cloud Services Showdown: Google Drive, Dropbox, Box & Cubby Compared
    diegonei and Toodeurep like this.
    11-02-12 07:12 PM
    My experience with Box has been good, I use it to transfer PDFs of my school readings every day so I don't have to haul around big books. I've got the sync app on my DTR and I use the website on my netbook. Nothing bad to say about it at all. The Playbook app works fine, I only wish they had one for the phone.

The only downside is that Dropbox is what most people use, so if you have to collaborate with others, you'll need to use that too. But for personal cloud syncing, Box is great, and the 50GB means pretty much unlimited for me.
    I guess the app just doesn't like my PlayBook. It's slow, I can't download files and any combination of trying to view and download a file will cause it to lock up until I close it. Re-installing it didn't help.
    11-02-12 07:16 PM
    I guess the app just doesn't like my PlayBook. It's slow, I can't download files and any combination of trying to view and download a file will cause it to lock up until I close it. Re-installing it didn't help.
    I remember one time I was in a hurry to get at a particular file and tried to download it with Box but couldn't find a way to do it. I gave up and went to my sideloaded Dropbox app and got it. As I continue to remember, though, I may have been seeking to upload a file. Hard to remember. But I'm reinstalling Box so I'll be able to see.

EDIT - using Box isn't quite as intuitive as Drpbox. On the PB, I can download files, but only to a preset folder on the PB - in my case, the Documents folder. On Android, you tap the file you want to download and are presented with several options, including sharing, opening and so forth. And I'm able to select the desired destination folder to download the file to. But being used to Dropbox, it had me a little stumped because I long=press a file for all of the available options in Dropbox.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 11-02-12 at 08:06 PM.
    11-02-12 07:52 PM
    I just did an install and Box Sync was there and seemed to work OK. No predefined folders, but that was no problem once I found the icon to add one!

After a few tests Box seemed to work fine. Unlike the Dropbox photo link, Playbook opened a Box email linked jpg file no problem.

Like G-Drive, the photo links from Box have no .jpg suffix. This means that they can't be inserted into forum software like vBulletin to display a pic.

Actually this forum won't allow pic from either to be inserted!

In both cases (Dropbox and Box) this forum's software it says invalid file .
    Last edited by Kwela123; 11-02-12 at 10:26 PM.
    11-02-12 08:18 PM
    Tonido Cloud seems promising for a roll your own cloud. I have been testing out their free version with good results. Forgot to mention that there is an app in appworld for the playbook as well.
    11-02-12 08:47 PM
36 12