Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By EricB1968
  • 1 Post By Hawnz
  • 1 Post By ultra07
  • 1 Post By wiggy1
  • 1 Post By zektor666
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Where's the best place to buy the new Playbook (USA)?

Yes, I know prices have been slashed and email, etc. is at last on the new OS (Finally...that's one of the things that kept me away in the first place). Anyway, it seems that Best Buy, Blackberry.com, Staples, etc. are all offering the same prices. Has anyone out there heard of lower prices for the 64 - or accessories included for the $299 64gb machine? And is it better to spend the extra $ on 64 rather than 32gb? Just trying to save some money if possible Also, does the Blackberry Protect app we use on our phones also work to protect the Playbook? Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PINch me!

Protect feature is not available on the Playbook at this time. Hopefully in a future OS update. As far as prices are concerned it's pretty much where it is right now. I have a 32GB and it suits me fine. Unless you plan on storing a lot of movies on it you might might not need the 64GB
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 

Try Craigslist.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Whatever model you purchase make sure you download "box" app and from the playbook you then open up a box account and you will receive 50gb's of cloud storage. Remember, open account from playbook box app and not from pc or mac.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    clemmiez likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Probably shopblackberry.com, since you can avoid sales tax that way. That's if you don't mind waiting a few days to get it.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

What ever you do stay away from Best Buy!!! Most sales people are clueless, at least the ones in my area. Have 4 within an hour drive of my house.
    Southern Illinois does not start at the southern edge of Cook County! (Chicago) It is about 250 miles South of there!! I really wish Illinois politicians knew this!!!
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Doesn't matter what they know or don't know at Best Buy, you can still order from them online and have it there the next day. I did and paid 11 bucks expedited shipping and had it in less than 24 hours.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try Amazon. You can get it overnight for an extra $20.00 All my friends ordered theirs from Amazon. No problems with anything and you don't have to face the ignorant and unknowing at the usual electronic big box stores. Wal Mart also have them but only online
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask...& you may receive!

Just got my new 16GB PlayBook at Best Buy this past Saturday. As expected, the sales help was, basically, clueless...but they had 8 new 16GB units in stock - none on display among the 20 or so different tablets they did have on display. $199 plus I picked up the leather-style folding case and a cradle charger.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

The one thing I regretted about getting my 16g PlayBook is the 16g. Get what you can most afford. I don't think you will regret getting the 64g.

As for stores, also look at the return policy. Some stores have restocking fees. Where I live, that is banned, so I could not tell you which stores.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    clemmiez likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I agree with Tumblingdice03. It does not matter what "they" know or not. No sale, no profit. It's our own preference where do we want to spend our money. I bought my PB16 in Best Buy online with store pickup and had it in my hand the same day afternoon (and no, I did not have any problems picking it up). I ordered my wife's PB16 from Newegg and had it within 3 days with free shipping (and no tax).
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you do not need any help from a sales person then Best Buy is OK. If you have questions go else where! Check out the CB forums if you have questions! Everyone (with a few trolls exceptions) are more than willing to help you out!
    Southern Illinois does not start at the southern edge of Cook County! (Chicago) It is about 250 miles South of there!! I really wish Illinois politicians knew this!!!
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-10-2012) 
    clemmiez likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricB1968 View Post
    Whatever model you purchase make sure you download "box" app and from the playbook you then open up a box account and you will receive 50gb's of cloud storage. Remember, open account from playbook box app and not from pc or mac.
    I had a Box.com account already and when I signed in using the App on my PlayBook, I was granted a 50GB upgrade. So I think you don't have to start a new account on the PlayBook, just link it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

To the OP - If you can afford the extra $50, get teh 64GB version. I had settled for a 32GB iPad when I first bought it and after a year I ran out of space because I started carrying my media content with me besides all the Apps and other work I wanted to carry. My digital library has become extensive. Plus I found that I was without WI-FI (such as in the car on road trips) so having the capability to carry more off line was necessary. Due to the PlayBook prices, you really get more bang for your buck if you can get the 64GB version, even with all the cloud storage solutions. I like to think of us as digital gold fish, we grow to the size of our bowl (storage limit).
    clemmiez likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    Probably shopblackberry.com, since you can avoid sales tax that way. That's if you don't mind waiting a few days to get it.
    Agreed. Many have posted negative things about SBB, but I did notice that these were mostly pre-holiday season (right before the past Christmas). I think there might have been a slew of issues with SBB trying to fill demands.

As for me, I ordered my first PB from them (64GB) in mid January I believe. It arrived in four days. I ordered a second 64GB for my brother-in-law. It arrived in 5 days. And finally, ordered a third PB last Monday. Another 64GB just for a backup/spare keeping. It arrived last Friday. They have been nothing less than consistent with my personal experience. Best part is that SBB is the *cheapest* you will get in the USA, as it is $299 flat out. No tax and no shipping charge. That is a GREAT deal.
    clemmiez likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ultra07 View Post
    Southern Illinois does not start at the southern edge of Cook County! (Chicago) It is about 250 miles South of there!!
    Only South Siders that Southern Illinois starts at the southern edge of Cook County; North Siders think it starts at about Roosevelt Road. (I kid; most Chicagoans think it starts at Kankakee.)

(IMO, it starts where the glaciers stopped, which is around Effingham.)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD84B0

Pricing is basically standard $199 $249 $299 now. This isn't a "clearance" or "fire sale" as the blogs were hyping just the new pricing structure.

I bought mine from buy.com via ebay and for most people the 32GB is just fine unless you plan on loading a lot of media. You might find a cheaper price on eBay or Craigslist but odds are you would be buying from an individual and it may or may not be new.
    USE: Droid 4, RAZR, Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, BB Bold 9930, HTC Trophy, AT&T SGSII, HTC One X, Moto Atrix2, HTC Vivid **
    RETIRED: Moto Razor V3M, RazorMax, LG Voyager, enV Touch, BB 8830(Red), 8330, 8900, 9000, 9530 & 9550, 9630 & 9650, Motorola Droid 1&2 (global) & 3, Droid Incredible, LG Thrill, Samsung Fascinate, Droid Pro, Motorola Devour, LG Ally, Optimous V, iPhone 3GS.
    Thanked by:
    clemmiez (03-11-2012)