Here we are... 6 days from the launch of the PlayBook, yet I have seen nothing on TV advertising the thing. I remember seeing the iPad ads and being like, wow - that looks pretty cool.

You'd think they would be advertising the #$%^ out of the PlayBook to bring attention to it. Probably 4 out of 5 people have never heard of it before.

So... where is the advertisement?
    Last edited by RyMac04; 04-12-11 at 07:09 PM. Reason: 1 out of 4 to 4 out of 5.. sorry!
    04-12-11 04:23 PM
    Probably in RIM's marketing dept, but that's just a guess
    04-12-11 04:26 PM
    RIM is not Apple though...

The last device from RIM that I recall being advertised before launch was the original Storm. RIM just doesn't really do any advertising before launching a product.

Also, I completely disagree with you that it needs to be brought to attention before launch. If you say 80% of people already know about it then what's the problem? I think anyone who is in the market for a tablet knows about the PlayBook (my mom even asked me about it the other day, she calls me when she wants to switch the wallpaper on her iPhone). 1 out of 5 people have zero use for a tablet, let alone cares what companies are making them.
    04-12-11 04:30 PM
    ha well they need to let it out of the cage. the time is now
    04-12-11 04:30 PM

The last device from RIM that I recall being advertised before launch was the original Storm. RIM just doesn't really do any advertising before launching a product.

Also, I completely disagree with you that it needs to be brought to attention before launch. If you say 80% of people already know about it then what's the problem? I think anyone who is in the market for a tablet knows about the PlayBook (my mom even asked me about it the other day, she calls me when she wants to switch the wallpaper on her iPhone). 1 out of 5 people have zero use for a tablet, let alone cares what companies are making them.
    i said 1 out of 5 know about it. that's 20% not 80%.

I'm no marketing exec but I just think if they showed this thing off a little it would really help with sells

This is more of a business point of view than anything else. Of course we all know about it and most are in the market for it, but outside of us, they could use the adverstisement.
    04-12-11 04:32 PM
    All the adds are 5 threads down in the other "where are the commercials" thread
    04-12-11 04:33 PM
    ha well they need to let it out of the cage. the time is now
    One of the reps told me RIM isn't big on TV ads because they love pushing product through their reps...and if they did TV massive amounts commercials they would be out of a job...

IDK - sounded like BS to me, but I agree - more commercials plz!
    04-12-11 04:33 PM
    i said 1 out of 5 know about it. that's 20% not 80%
    Probably 1 out of 5 people have never heard of it before.
    Maybe you should edit your post then...

Either way if you say that only 20% of people know about it, then I think you're very wrong. Like I said, my mom, who knows nothing about cell phones, tablets, or technology in general asked me about it the other day.
    04-12-11 04:40 PM
    i said 1 out of 5 know about it. that's 20% not 80%.

actually, you said:
    Probably 1 out of 5 people have never heard of it before.
    just sayin...
    04-12-11 04:41 PM
    Here we are... 6 days from the launch of the PlayBook, yet I have seen nothing on TV advertising the thing. I remember seeing the iPad ads and being like, wow - that looks pretty cool.

You'd think they would be advertising the #$%^ out of the PlayBook to bring attention to it. Probably 1 out of 5 people have never heard of it before.

So... where is the advertisement?
    You said 1 out of 5 have never heard of it.... That's 80% have heard of it.. But I know what you mean.. And I agree... Would love to start seeing commercials!!
    04-12-11 04:42 PM

On the track of incorrect statistics :P
    ridesno159 likes this.
    04-12-11 04:44 PM
    I think the Marketing Blitz will occur around Blackberry World in early May.

Blackberry's core marketing was word of mouth when the user experience was great. I think those that get their hands on a PB, will give real life user experience to sell the device and come May, we should see a full on Marketing campaign, with real numbers, updates to the OS and some exciting apps.
    04-12-11 04:44 PM
    One of the reps told me RIM isn't big on TV ads because they love pushing product through their reps...and if they did TV massive amounts commercials they would be out of a job...

IDK - sounded like BS to me, but I agree - more commercials plz!
    Can you get him to get them to stop all those BBM commercials then?
    04-12-11 04:49 PM

I think anyone who is in the market for a tablet knows about the PlayBook
    That is surprisingly correct.
    I just went to an a electronic chain store in New Delhi, sort of like an Indian Best BUY, was playing with the rows of iPads, macbooks and Galaxy tabs, when I asked the sales rep there about the Playbook ( was just trying to be mischievous) and to my shock the guy knew about it and he told me the expected time it would be available,he didn't even bat an eyelid.
    My next question to him was what he though about it. His response: " Its blackberry, these guys are special and make a good product, it would be worth the wait" And this when he has not seen the Playbook or been hands on with the device. He didn't even try to pitch the iPad to me
    Couldn't resist telling him that I'm getting one delivered on the 28th
    Maybe RIM has more brand value than most people realise.
    04-12-11 04:52 PM
    Can you get him to get them to stop all those BBM commercials then?
    The most pointless commercial in the world? hahaha...RIM = marketing fail
    04-12-11 04:53 PM
    I work at RIM's marketing department..... What is all of this advertising you are talking about? I don't know what advertising means :S
    04-12-11 05:05 PM
    You would think RIM would be pushing heavily into the consumer space with advertising with how they are gearing the tablet towards the consumer market.

Like WebOS devices, hyping the **** out of it on the net and in forums isnt going to do you a lick of good if the mass populous doesnt know about it.

There is a reason why Apple dumps half a billion in advertising after all lol
    04-12-11 05:07 PM
    If you think about it, RIM has already spent a lot of money to advertise the PlayBook. Hiring people to demo it all across North America and around the world, giving away PlayBooks to new PB developers, launch parties, Twitter contest, I think we all just see "advertisement" as the traditional newspaper ads or TV ads.

I wonder what's the most effective way to reach out to the "mass" "average joe" consumers...
    04-12-11 05:14 PM
    If you think about it, RIM has already spent a lot of money to advertise the PlayBook. Hiring people to demo it all across North America and around the world, giving away PlayBooks to new PB developers, launch parties, Twitter contest, I think we all just see "advertisement" as the traditional newspaper ads or TV ads.

I wonder what's the most effective way to reach out to the "mass" "average joe" consumers...
    I think that it would be on major websites e.g. msn.ca/.com google, and news sites. Also maybe sending out those email that many people signed up for on their website, ( I never got mine yet) and you will see the more typical tv ads like you mentioned
    04-12-11 05:18 PM
    I don't have a problem with word of mouth advertising because that one of the best ways to get buzz for your product. I think RIM should have advertised the Amp it up training to the general public. I think a lot of people would have come away very impressed and word of mouth would spread like wildfire. Now, I do believe this will happen once the PB launches and more and more people get it in their hands, but the buildup will be much slower.
    04-12-11 06:21 PM
    Maybe you should edit your post then...

Either way if you say that only 20% of people know about it, then I think you're very wrong. Like I said, my mom, who knows nothing about cell phones, tablets, or technology in general asked me about it the other day.
    actually, you said:

just sayin...
    You said 1 out of 5 have never heard of it.... That's 80% have heard of it.. But I know what you mean.. And I agree... Would love to start seeing commercials!!
    my bad.... i think i thought i knew what my mind was thinking, but i thought wrong.

I edited the post. sorry for the mistake.
    04-12-11 07:13 PM
    anyways, I bought the storm because I saw the advertisements for it. It was my first BlackBerry, I would have easily considered the iPhone had I never seen that commercial.

On the other hand, I can't remember when the storm released and I know i got it around Christmas, after it released... so the adverstising could have come AFTER the product launched.

Whether they do some ads before or after release.... THEY NEED SOME ADS!

I know they have spent TONS of their cash reserves, and they have zero debt so they do have TONS of cash, on R&D and acquisitions, but it seems ideal to put some of that money to 1 or 2 good commercials promoting the thing. Even if they just run that video that they ran at DevCon or w/e the unveiling conference was way back when..

That would be enough for me.
    04-12-11 07:17 PM
    put this on TV:

or this

04-12-11 07:21 PM
    ^ They are in the process of making / already completed the TV ads, its just a matter of when they'll be broadcast.
    04-12-11 07:25 PM
    The Storm ads were run by Verizon (as they wanted the device).

Considering two big sporting events are just about starting (NHL playoffs, NBA Playoffs) those would be two big viewerships to target. RIM did a ton of advertising during the MLB playoffs.

I'm also sure you will see print, internet ads (both cost money). RIM has never really been a TV ad company as their market is different. Apple is purely consumer and needs consumers. RIM needs them too but I think the focus is selling Playbook to corporate customers with large Blackberry deployments.
    04-12-11 07:32 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD