Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Where do downloaded/saved files go?

I downloaded a picture from my email and i dont know where it is. is there no universal search ? I also downloaded or saved a pdf file and dontknow where it is.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

You need to subscribe to a "Cloud" service to keep your files. Just like the iPad, this device is not designed to keep lots documents on board. There should be software soon to do folders and maintain files, I hope?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

The browser allows for downloading pictures but where do they go, how do you see them?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Although I haven't checked whether all file types go the same place, downloading a generic file (not image, not video) I can see it in the downloads folder. Connect to the network share for your PlayBook ("media") and it should be obvious.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts

Ok now Im confused, if I download a picture or a pdf file can i save it to my playbook or not?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

I guess if not, if you have a BB you can access it through bridge files. I can't see media files through bridge, but I can see and access docs and pdfs from my BB sd card.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by dfaris View Post
    Ok now Im confused, if I download a picture or a pdf file can i save it to my playbook or not?
    pictures yes... you need to add .jpg to the end, and pdf's, i'm pretty you can too seeing as RIM and Adobe are working really close with eachother on the playbook. I just personally haven't downloaded PDF's yet
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    PIN
    2224B602

same goes for PDFs. If you save a pdf from an e-mail attachement and go to the pdf reader, you will see it there.
    BOLD 9700-2224B602
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts

Ok so I can save them I just cant save them to the folders i want to save them in? I would have to plug into my computer and arrange things from there. Does that sound about right?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Soon :D

It looks like the only way to access certain files from the Playbook is their respective apps that can only read the given file type. So, you can only open up a PDF from Adobe Reader, A png/jpg/etc. from the Photo app, and so on.

All other files downloaded from the Browser go to the Downloads folder. Unforunately, you can not browse to this folder from the Playbook until a File Browser/Manager is available either from RIM or Third party. However, if you have your PB set up as a network drive, you can access the Downloads folder from your computer.
    You can't reason a person out of an opinion he didn't reason himself into.

Find me on Twitter: @mahen915
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

So please be clear...

Can you download a image from the web and display it later on the Playbook?
    Can you copy it to the photo gallery?
    Thanked by:
    padamssm (04-20-2011) 
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Soon :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic77 View Post
    So please be clear...

Can you download a image from the web and display it later on the Playbook?
    Can you copy it to the photo gallery?
    If it's an image file, the Playbook seems to automatically understand it to be a photo and throws it into the photo gallery. When you download it, the photo gallery creates a new album called "Downloads" and you can view the image in there. Does that make sense?
    You can't reason a person out of an opinion he didn't reason himself into.

Find me on Twitter: @mahen915
    CrackBerry Newbie

Killr3 is right. The files do download, and if you connect to your computer via usb, the files are there in the downloads folder on your playbook.
    I did this with some videos from MegaUpload, and eventually they show up on the playbook in the Video's folder. Some attention needed here by RIM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Although I haven't checked whether all file types go the same place, downloading a generic file (not image, not video) I can see it in the downloads folder. Connect to the network share for your PlayBook ("media") and it should be obvious.
    how do you "Connect to the network share for your PlayBook "? I shouldnt have to connect to anything, If i download something using the playbooki should be able to see it on the playbook, search for it on the playbook, manage the files on the playbook, without 'connecting' to some othe device or service.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

need a file manager quick.
    CrackBerry Genius

if you have downloaded a file using the PB browser, the file is stored in the downloads folder. To get at the downloads folder, swipe downwards from the top of the browser screen to pull down the browser menu. Then you touch the "Downloads" folder to open it.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z30 STA100-5, OS version 10.2.1.2977
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917
    CrackBerry Genius

I agree with aviao - the PB needs a file explorer, quick!

But in the meantime, I've been able to use my window 7 laptop to connect to my PB over my home wifi network. I just made sure that network file sharing was turned on, both on my laptop and my PB. In the W7 network screen, the PB just showed up there. All the folders on the PB were visible. I am able to drag and drop files back and forth between my laptop & my PB. Now... if only we can get to be able to this on the PB itself...
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z30 STA100-5, OS version 10.2.1.2977
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917