Seriously, most all of the other tablet manufacturers are/have reduced prices by $100+ yet RIM has not. When will the two comorons figure it out?
    07-18-11 12:20 PM
    soon... maybe sooner than what we thought... specially if no positive development will occur on the playbook itself...
    07-18-11 12:26 PM
    In the US, initially the PB was sold by a limited number of stores like Staples and Best Buy. They held the suggested retail price. There have been legit retailers who somewhat discounted the price from the beginning, like http://mobilecityonline.com. Price competition (lower prices) come from retailer competition not reduced RIM prices.

IMO: That being said, RIM is unlikely to reduce their suggested retail price. Companies like Apple have held their price. When a product is unique there is no need to lower prices. The only way they will allow lower prices will be when Phone Networks will discount the PB to drive other net access business. Lower prices will come from new-to-market products not existing products.

Regarding the prior statement about product development. While we CB'ers may be saying there has been lack of 'development', we don't know what RIM has in works for long range upgrades. As adventurers in this this new product we must be patient; if we wanted an iPad2 we should have purchased an iPad2, nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-18-11 at 12:37 PM.
    07-18-11 12:29 PM
    I don't really follow RIM but I know Apple only reduces the previous generation or has a refurbished sale. Most recently was with the iMac's.

I haven't seen any other Tablets that reduced their prices, then again we always get screwed up here.

OP, why not look at kijiji/craigslist? I did, there's no way I would pay what RIM is asking.
    07-18-11 12:36 PM
    Seriously, most all of the other tablet manufacturers are/have reduced prices by $100+ yet RIM has not. When will the two comorons figure it out?
    I thought you were talking about BB phones, but actually about PB?
    The price of PB is ridiculous in here. IDR 4.999.000 or approx $588 for a 16Gb model. (currency $1 = IDR 8500). But on the first day, PB already bundled with a BB phone by adding another $235 for Curve 8520 and get the benefit of free BIS for 3 months.
    To look at the black/grey market here, we can get the 64Gb model for under $600. (some new, some in mint condition).
    I asked them why they put such a high prices, and the answer was because of the taxes.
    -_-a
    07-18-11 01:24 PM
    we will see if this bundling works. been sold down under 2 weeks earlier, don't know whether people buy it or not. the bundle costs more than 700$ so its pretty steep.
    samsung galaxy tab 7" 3G cost about the same as pb here, maybe cheaper. selling well though.
    07-18-11 03:26 PM
    as soon as they release the 4g version and carriers offer a subsidy.
    07-18-11 05:47 PM
    With news of stopped production in Wi-Fi PB due to supply channels being full, tepid sales will lead to price reductions by retailers or RIM. Look at the price reduction Motorola announced on Xoom tablet.
    07-18-11 05:59 PM
    I posted a link to an Ebay sale recently - 32gb for $539 w/ no tax and free shipping. That's roughly ~$75 off the regular price. It sadly did not end up selling out. Many of the special Ebay deals do sell out...so that kind of worried me. The price drop might have to be substantial. I think they're better of keeping the price until at least native email and possible android support is ready.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ipping-621808/
    07-18-11 11:54 PM
    I find of got a reduce price with mine from BB. I saved $100 because i signed up for att mifi. Spending more at end of year but instantly got playbook for $400.
    07-19-11 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD