I cannot get any respect for my playbook. And its pretty much Rim's fault. When will it change for the best?

I often get this kind of comment:
    -Rim is folding
    -Why didnt you get an ipad?
    *-Is it as bad as they say? (last night at a friend's place)*

Now, most of these people have never used a PB, so they dont know what they are talking about. So why do they say that? Because of bad reviews of OS1 (no native email, duh), delayed updates, old BBOS on old-school OS7 phones. That's why.

So when will I get respect for my tablet? With a OS2 relaunch (same hardware, different software)? Likely not.... They need a complete OS with new hardware (and perhaps selling the older generation playbook side-by-side at a discount) otherwise online reviews will be negative, and people will not give us ANY respect...

what do you guys think? Should try to sell PB1 with OS2 as a 'new' playbook? A relaunch of a 1y old product as a new product? Apple got a lot of flack for the iPhone 4S that was too similar to 4. Why would it be different for RIM then?
    vinaconex and FuzzyFish like this.
    11-28-11 05:45 PM
    Why would you respect someone because of the type of tablet/phone/whatever that they own? I don't understand. If you really care that much what people think, the real question is why *didn't* you get an iPad? I got mine for reading pdf's, playing games on and listening to music. I don't care who made it, i bought it for what it does, not to get respect or as a fashion accesory... Why did you buy yours?

edit: to answer your question, probably never :P
    Last edited by balth; 11-28-11 at 05:59 PM.
    John.P, CDM76, Rello and 1 others like this.
    11-28-11 05:54 PM
    ...sigh...
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-28-11 05:56 PM
    I say show them some of the cool things it does and explain why you bought it over other tablets. Show them bridge mode and the $300 you save a year. Show them a couple of videos and play some sweet music thru the stereo speakers. Hook it up to an HDTV with just a cheap HDMI cable and blow their socks off.

Show them your BlackBerry email and contacts and calendar and NOTES and then hand it to them and walk away. Turn Blue Tooth off on your BB and explain to them the security benefit of not having native email.

Besides, why worry so much about what others think.
    Last edited by jhanks64; 11-28-11 at 06:00 PM.
    11-28-11 05:58 PM
    Keep the Playbook. What will you get for it? $50.00? I doubt there will be a second generation considering the trend. Firesales mean the end is coming. Time to wake up and face reality.
    11-28-11 05:59 PM
    2 things are apparent here:

1 - You care way too much what others think.

2 - Them nor you know enough about the PlayBook
    11-28-11 06:01 PM
    So when will I get respect for my tablet? With a OS2 relaunch (same hardware, different software)? Likely not.... They need a complete OS with new hardware (and perhaps selling the older generation playbook side-by-side at a discount) otherwise online reviews will be negative, and people will not give us ANY respect...
    Why would they need new hardware? The hardware is generally held as fairly exceptional? Awesome video, sound, screen. Great, very mobile size and form factor. Fast CPU and graphics, lots of flash storage, good memory size. Given that there's nothing out there that's hands-down better for any reasonable price, why would they need new hardware?

Software, yes... almost nobody disputes that the software is the issue right now.

When will the software be such that the sort of people who withhold their respect from someone because they don't like their choice of tablet will start to give you their respect? That would be February 18, when you've had a day to play with the update and figure out which features will garner you the most respect. (!?)
    11-28-11 06:07 PM
    In answer to your question, I'd say you get all the respect you need and deserve right here in this blog.
    bbvj likes this.
    11-28-11 06:11 PM
    2 things are apparent here:

1 - You care way too much what others think.

2 - Them nor you know enough about the PlayBook
    i want to be clear that im not singling you out but rather yours was the last response i read. the OP asked a very legitimate question, and does not need to be insulted the he/she has been. If you are one who takes your pb out in public and also engages in conversation with people easily you more than likely have experienced what the OP expressed in his/her story. The fact is, that the playbook is viewed as a total complete flop by the majority of the tech savvy public - so it does raise questions when one is seen with the device, and it raises even more questions when the one seen with the device is apparently enjoying the use of it. Its a good device, but RIM failed at properly bringing it into the market. They were premature with the launch and also poor with their advertising campain, thus us pb users are viewed almost entirely as people who made a $500+ mistake.... sad but true.
    gravymonster and trickykid like this.
    11-28-11 06:13 PM
    i want to be clear that im not singling you out but rather yours was the last response i read. the OP asked a very legitimate question, and does not need to be insulted the he/she has been. If you are one who takes your pb out in public and also engages in conversation with people easily you more than likely have experienced what the OP expressed in his/her story. The fact is, that the playbook is viewed as a total complete flop by the majority of the tech savvy public - so it does raise questions when one is seen with the device, and it raises even more questions when the one seen with the device is apparently enjoying the use of it. Its a good device, but RIM failed at properly bringing it into the market. They were premature with the launch and also poor with their advertising campain, thus us pb users are viewed almost entirely as people who made a $500+ mistake.... sad but true.
    I wasn't insulting him, i was asking a genuine question.

people don't care what tablet you have when you are out in public. If they do, there is something wrong with them. Aside from not caring, most people don't know what a playbook even is! and are too wrapped up in their own affairs to be saying "Oh look! That poor chap has a blackberry playbook"
    AggreX, KRol, alnamvet68 and 1 others like this.
    11-28-11 06:21 PM
    Good thing I wasnt singled out - It might of hurt my feelings.

Nothing I posted was insulting..

PB goes with me everywhere. When I encounter someone who is curious and asks about it - I show them what I like about it and keep on enjoying MY PlayBook. 7/10 times they are interested, ask more questions, and say they are going to look into it.

Do i care if they respect me for my purchase - no. I dont want respect off of material things. So it means nothing to me .. got it .. cool
    11-28-11 06:24 PM
    I say show them some of the cool things it does and explain why you bought it over other tablets. Show them bridge mode and the $300 you save a year. Show them a couple of videos and play some sweet music thru the stereo speakers. Hook it up to an HDTV with just a cheap HDMI cable and blow their socks off.

where did u find the micro hdmi for cheap,i havent found one for less than 30buks,at walmart,i have a mini hdmi for my cheapy android tab i paid 6buks for at xs cargo and reg hdmi cords they sell at dollorama,where did u get urs from
    11-28-11 06:25 PM
    Why do you care about what other people think of an electronic device that you own? As long as you are happy with it, other peoples opinions do not matter.
    ThePinkChameleon and CDM76 like this.
    11-28-11 06:27 PM
    where did u find the micro hdmi for cheap,i havent found one for less than 30buks,at walmart,i have a mini hdmi for my cheapy android tab i paid 6buks for at xs cargo and reg hdmi cords they sell at dollorama,where did u get urs from
    $12 for a 15' at a local momNpop comp shop ..
    11-28-11 06:28 PM
    Your parents ever tell you NOT to be a follower?

In any case. Sell the PlayBook. Buy yourself an iWhatever and follow the crowd. Trust me, you'll be much happier.

(Geez, it sounds like the same argument my 12 year old has with me about clothes she wears to school)
    vinaconex likes this.
    11-28-11 06:35 PM
    I think you are awesome......for owning a playbook
    bbvj likes this.
    11-28-11 06:43 PM
    I certainly don't think people respect me for what I have in my hands!

My kids respect me for who I am. their provider and father. My co-workers respect me because I know what I am doing at work. My dog likes me cause I feed her and rub her tummy. My wife doesn't respect me, she worships me.

I could care less what people think of my PB when I read an eBook on the train.
    11-28-11 06:48 PM
    HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

11-28-11 06:54 PM
    are u in canada or us,ive looked at a few pc stores online and mini hdmi are prety cheap but the micro are not as cheap.
    11-28-11 06:59 PM
    Try Meritline.com. Them and many other websites have cables for under 10 bucks. In response to the OP. If you go through life worrying about people judging you for what you have, you will never be happy. You are chasing the wind because you will never catch up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by beamolite; 11-28-11 at 07:09 PM.
    11-28-11 07:03 PM
    i've got your answer right here...stop hanging around hipsters and ****** bags
    TRlPPlN and leveragedhedging like this.
    11-28-11 07:08 PM
    Just remember, at night, when you're laying in bed and fondling your PlayBook, It will respect you in the morning. Who cares what others think! LMAO
    11-28-11 07:09 PM
    Yeah... when they start to actually buy the stuff you use, you can care what they think. You don't owe anyone any explanation.

Till then, tell them to lovingly roll off a cliff.
    11-28-11 07:09 PM
    Do you really buy a tablet based on how much respect you will get for owning it, or for how much utility you will get out of it?

Is it a status symbol? Do you care so much what people think of you? If so you should go apple all the way. If you don't care that you have a great powerful portable platform you should take a look at why you want a tablet in the first place.

I could respect you more for that, than for buying it based on what others will think of you.
    If it bothers you that people disrespect you, your skin is too thin. Stand up for and defend your decisions.

We respect you. You need new friends - here they are.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-28-11 at 07:36 PM.
    11-28-11 07:19 PM
    I think that the OP has a point...although not about getting respect. There is a big problem with the public perception of RIM and the playbook right now, whether deserved or undeserved. RIM needs to focus on changing ASAP. If you call this respect them so be it.
    KRol likes this.
    11-28-11 07:30 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD