I know it will make it's way to the PlayBook right after BB10 handsets are released, but how long will it take after that? 1 Month? 2-3 Months? Late Summer? Early Fall? Q4 of 2013?
    rickster21 likes this.
    10-21-12 01:23 AM
    Conventional wisdom says next summer. I could be wrong though
    10-21-12 02:58 AM
    I'd say 3-6 months after the phones launch. Possibly a developer beta (like with 2.1) before then.

It will be important for RIM to have BB10 running on both form factors to minimize fragmentation. At the moment, developers face difficult choices if they wish to target both PB and BB10 as Cascades and many API's are missing from the PB.
    jafobabe likes this.
    10-21-12 08:18 AM
    April 2013 is my guess which is six months away!
    10-21-12 08:22 AM
    You guys don't sound like your joking when you say 3-6 months... May I ask why?? My assumption is that it would release on or shortly after bb10 was released on the smartphone. Can they not have your ready in time?? As in surely they must be working on having bb10 on the PlayBook also no?? Why would it take so long after the bb10 platform is released??
    10-21-12 09:48 AM
    Any answer you get will be pure speculation. Who knows? I'm not even sure RIM knows at this point. It will be here when it gets here and not a minute sooner.
    10-21-12 10:03 AM
    When it is ready seems to be a perfect answer..
    diegonei likes this.
    10-21-12 10:18 AM
    I'm thinking a lot sooner. It's already on Playbook internally. When will BB10 come to the PlayBook?-img_00000263.jpg
    10-21-12 10:19 AM
    Nobody knows. I'm not sure why common speculation is that it won't be until summer (which is inexcusable ). Every other OS on the market has been making their major updates very close in timing between phones and tablets.
    10-21-12 10:57 AM
    I'm thinking a lot sooner. It's already on Playbook internally. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000263.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	123456
    Nice find. Hopefully it will be released within a month after the BB10 handsets are released. I really want that new keyboard!!!!!
    10-21-12 11:21 AM
    Check this road map out...

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    Attached Thumbnails When will BB10 come to the PlayBook?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    10-21-12 11:29 AM
    You guys don't sound like your joking when you say 3-6 months... May I ask why?? My assumption is that it would release on or shortly after bb10 was released on the smartphone. Can they not have your ready in time?? As in surely they must be working on having bb10 on the PlayBook also no?? Why would it take so long after the bb10 platform is released??
    Any of us who were at Jam Americas in San Jose last month and took the time actually to ask about this, would have got an answer that means the "some months after BB10 release on the phones" answer is NOT "pure" speculation. They are apparently focusing all resources on BB10 for the phones, which have a different form factor than the tablet, and other things which make it a non-trivial matter to modify it for PlayBook support. They could spend significant resources on the PlayBook, but then the phones would be delayed. Does anyone think that would be a good thing for RIM? I sure don't.

My educated guess is that we'll see a beta shortly after the QWERTY keyboard phone launches, like maybe a month, and then the first release a couple of months after that. Adding up some fuzzy numbers, that gives a timeframe somewhere around the beginning of summer.
    10-21-12 01:38 PM
    They are apparently focusing all resources on BB10 for the phones, which have a different form factor than the tablet, and other things which make it a non-trivial matter to modify it for PlayBook support.
    Like what ?

I mean apart from the drivers, which they already have since they are already running BB10 beta on playbook...
    10-21-12 02:05 PM
    My guess that means nothing is July.
    10-21-12 02:09 PM
    I know it will make it's way to the PlayBook right after BB10 handsets are released, but how long will it take after that? 1 Month? 2-3 Months? Late Summer? Early Fall? Q4 of 2013?
    I asked the dev team and they said they have it ready, but they find you questions and rants amusing, so they will refrain from releasing it, just so they can keep on enjoying your posts.

Really man, if we knew that, would we really not be high on champagne or something? The blog would surely be all over it.

3-6 months after phones (like it or not) sounds feasible, since they need to sort a few details like how will peak work on landscape. Our resident devs (Pete and innov.) and that old roadmap seem to agree on that estimate.
    kbz1960, zorecati, esk369 and 1 others like this.
    10-21-12 02:13 PM
    I asked the dev team and they said they have it ready, but they find you questions and rants amusing, so they will refrain from releasing it, just so they can keep on enjoying your posts.

Really man, if we knew that, would we really not be high on champagne or something? The blog would surely be all over it.
    Sad but I really wonder if they do enjoy all the guessing games we play in here, not to mention all the reports of some constantly pressing their update button.
    10-21-12 02:20 PM

3-6 months after phones (like it or not) sounds feasible, since they need to sort a few details like how will peak work on landscape.
    Oh ok. So landscape mode won't be totally ready for the phones then ?
    bodjor likes this.
    10-21-12 04:46 PM
    Oh ok. So landscape mode won't be totally ready for the phones then ?
    Learn to read. I didn't even mention BB10 development for phones. Go flamebait somewhere else.

Wait a second... "From All over Europe and East Asia"... Oh please, not you again...
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-21-12 05:06 PM
    Ok, sorry. So landscape mode will be fully available for phones but not for tablets. Is that right ?
    bodjor and BB_Bmore like this.
    10-21-12 05:09 PM
    Any of us who were at Jam Americas in San Jose last month and took the time actually to ask about this, would have got an answer that means the "some months after BB10 release on the phones" answer is NOT "pure" speculation. They are apparently focusing all resources on BB10 for the phones, which have a different form factor than the tablet, and other things which make it a non-trivial matter to modify it for PlayBook support. They could spend significant resources on the PlayBook, but then the phones would be delayed. Does anyone think that would be a good thing for RIM? I sure don't.

My educated guess is that we'll see a beta shortly after the QWERTY keyboard phone launches, like maybe a month, and then the first release a couple of months after that. Adding up some fuzzy numbers, that gives a timeframe somewhere around the beginning of summer.
    I feel you have the logical steps outlined but find your timeline to be aggressive. The features that couldn't make the timeline for the initial release would be a priority for the first OS update. If all of that goes well, I can see some of the phone resources being off-loaded to tablet OS production. Early summer at the earliest would be my guess.
    10-21-12 05:28 PM

3-6 months after phones (like it or not) sounds feasible, since they need to sort a few details like how will peak work on landscape. Our resident devs (Pete and innov.) and that old roadmap seem to agree on that estimate.
    I can't help but see the irony in your sarcasm towards him in light of your own apologist stance being at the other end of the spectrum. Like it or not? I'll choose the latter. Feasible? I'll tell you what's feasible. RIM having their act together enough to have bb10 ready to launch out the gates on both phone and tablet like every other OS does. Heck even MS with their highly criticized WP OS has made the effort to get the OS out to both phones and tablets on the same launch.

What's RIM's excuse? Whatever it is, I'm tired of both their excuses and delays. If your reply is going to be to apologize further for their (lack of) resources, then maybe they shouldn't be in the game if they can't play with the others, or should have licensed out to someone who CAN deliver the goods, on time. This isn't a RIM bash, I'm extremely neutral with mobile tech. If someone is delivering, regardless of who they are, they have my admiration. RIM hasn't delivered much of anything for years now. If you remove the brand loyalty goggles, what exactly has the new CEO and staff delivered in hardware so far? Nothing but promises and a 4g playbook not running bb10 either or a significantly changed app world.

Apple in the last year has delivered a new MacOS, a new iPad, iOS 6, iPhone5, and announced iPad mini
    Android is android and continues to pump out phones and tablets with cutting edge specs and OS versions at a rapid pace while hogging the majority market share.
    MS is poised to launch a new Windows, tablet, and phone all at once.

As I type this post there's a news story on TV talking about the Surface tab and iPad mini.

So far all we have from RIM are delayed promises sprinkled with a dash of sarcasm and derision from apologists for flavour.
    10-21-12 05:58 PM
    Well since its RIM and took them like 3 months to get 2.1 out after the release date originally planned I would say sometime early 2014
    10-21-12 06:01 PM
    It will be no later than the month without an "R" as one of its letters.
    10-21-12 06:03 PM
    I make no excuses for nobody, pal.

So... iOS6 is everything Apple wanted it to be. Except it had some major issues. But who cares! Apple is in such a sweet spot they could even go "deal with it" and still walk. They will say sorry, fix them in time and that's that. WP8/Surface/RT (which are not the same OS, just check The Verge)... We are going to wait and see how those work out. iPad mini: Same old in a smaller format factor. Sooooo hard to build/develop/deploy!!!!! Not. Unless it comes with a completely new OS, I can't say Apple had a hard time deploying the same device in a different size. They are king of doing that, really.

BB10 isn't Tablet OS, nor something RIM has done a few times over, so yeah, it will take time to "bake". Not an excuse, simple development fact.

RIM is nowhere close to being able to afford another flop (be advised, just because they PlayBook and OS7 devices didn't sell, I don't personally consider them flops all together, just a bit of "too little too late"). Either they execute and, despite delays, deliver a smooth OS, or we can all decide between iOS, Android or Windows phone.

On my stance towards the OP: Complain once or twice, every now and then, about real issues, and you're expressing your opinion. Complain constantly and you're being annoying.

I would like BB10 now, but I rather have RIM around than another rushed product (and the PlayBook falls into this category).

Licensing: Last I checked, nobody was begging RIM to let them license BB10. Or do you have some insider knowledge we all lack? RIM would only be too happy to have others license BB10, but really: who is going to pay to use an OS nobody knows for sure how it will be received by the final user?
    10-21-12 06:25 PM
    I am putting my money on them releasing shortly after the phone is...within atleast a week.
    10-21-12 06:56 PM
88 123 ...