Hello folks,

When can we expect the next major update? The one that has native e-mail?

Also, if native email exists and you happen to Bridge your BlackBerry, how will that then work?

Thanks
    07-24-11 07:53 AM
    updates have usually been approximately a month apart, so i would imagine the next update is roughly a month away.

As for email, we will have to wait and see.
    07-24-11 07:58 AM
    When RIM releases one.
    backslaps likes this.
    07-24-11 08:06 AM
    Any major events happening soon? All the good stuff gets announced to a crowd... until then only small updates.

I'd say a lot more os7 related news will happen over the next month or so with the PlayBook waiting until the end of summer for Email / Android Player / Bb Player, but who knows, they may deny these things were promised... ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 08:13 AM
    I think they have 2 different teams working on OS7 and QNX since they are completely different. Should be no worries on them stopping one to work on the other.
    07-24-11 08:15 AM
    True. I just think nothing much will happen for the next month or two with the Playbook. Updates with bugs aside, which more testing will hopefully be done on the next one, Rim will be focused on launching their new os7 devices. Over the last 3 months you could easily forget they are a phone business! :-)

07-24-11 08:22 AM
    i want native email just so it's an available option that will open the playbook to more non-blackberry phone users and also in case I ever decide to stop using a blackberry.

but for now, once PIM apps hit, I won't use them (I'm actually hoping they introduce a way to hide icons like we can on our bb phones). Bridge gets two thumbs up from me!

the updates have been spread out by about a month or so each time, right? so maybe third or fourth week of august, but nobody knows what will be in the update. Android App-Player leaking may push them to put it out faster, but that means it could also be released with more bugs. either way, people complain
    07-24-11 08:25 AM
    I think they have 2 different teams working on OS7 and QNX since they are completely different. Should be no worries on them stopping one to work on the other.
    If that is true, seriously, then whats with the apologist's saying the phones have been delayed due to playbook development since the middle of last year? And the newest justifications of playbook OS lagging progress due to sudden accelerations in phone development?
    07-24-11 08:53 AM
    If that is true, seriously, then whats with the apologist's saying the phones have been delayed due to playbook development since the middle of last year? And the newest justifications of playbook OS lagging progress due to sudden accelerations in phone development?
    Could be they are just wrong or fanboys. Could be RIM saw the need to get better hardware in the phones, delay. Could be RIM is just having trouble with the new OS (QNX) they weren't expecting.
    07-24-11 08:56 AM
    devcon or some other bb event, maybe october. and major update after 3g/4g version is launched.
    developers are still waiting for NDK. when it's released, they will develop native applications. and then rim has to lobby big developers to come in.
    i would say wait until early 2012 to get a decent qnx experience. applications will increase significantly once the handsets runs qnx.
    07-24-11 08:57 AM
    Hello folks,

When can we expect the next major update? The one that has native e-mail?

Also, if native email exists and you happen to Bridge your BlackBerry, how will that then work?

Thanks
    There's been a 'major' update already?
    07-24-11 09:00 AM
    Kevin has mentioned briefly that the big updates that people really want IE Email (dont know why when we have the bb bridge) or the android player will coincide with major events, next major event is Devcon in Oct. So We may see the updates that includes those things before Devcon
    07-24-11 09:12 AM
    just last week, we had a major update....ability to zoom in & out of a video clip....thats huge update...dont u agree ???
    07-24-11 10:20 AM
    Kevin has mentioned briefly that the big updates that people really want IE Email (dont know why when we have the bb bridge) or the android player will coincide with major events, next major event is Devcon in Oct. So We may see the updates that includes those things before Devcon
    They said "summer" for the Android Player, and since Devcon is in October then we'll get it far before then.

The next major event is actually the release of the new phones in a few weeks...
    streydogg781 and JonManu like this.
    07-24-11 10:35 AM
    had a chat with rim bosses wife and she told me its coming next 2 week.

p.s. we went to bed together the same night.
    p.p.s no one noes except for RIM.
    07-24-11 10:38 AM
    You're a moron to rely on another person's speculation. Even more so for relying on a complete random person's speculation over the internet. What is with people these days?

I know I come off callous against what I perceive to be ignorance. I just have no sympathies for this kind've BS. People read things and believe they are true and spout them out without even thinking about it.

No one is justifying or apologizing for RIM here.
    07-24-11 10:55 AM
    just last week, we had a major update....ability to zoom in & out of a video clip....thats huge update...dont u agree ???
    Where I would agree thats a nice feature, I really can't go around telling my friends I just had a major update - I can now pinch & zoom video! I think I would be laughed at...
    07-24-11 01:23 PM
    Where I would agree thats a nice feature, I really can't go around telling my friends I just had a major update - I can now pinch & zoom video! I think I would be laughed at...
    Yep, minor update, but it has added the blue location stick in the address bar and opened up access to more hardware to the air sdk i was reading in another thread (may result in more apps).

Ohh, and it depends which video you show your friends the pinch to zoom feature... ;-)

07-24-11 05:00 PM
    When can we expect the next major update?

Lord knows and "who" cares - I'm having to much fun with whats already on here....anything else is icing on the cake...
    "Keep your expectations low and you will never be disappointed, and always pleasantly surprised..."
    - blackjack
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-24-11 at 07:08 PM.
    07-24-11 05:05 PM
    Yep, minor update, but it has added the blue location stick in the address bar
    What's a blue location stick?
    07-24-11 05:10 PM
    why didnt they put the blue location stick to use in every text input field,would improve typing big thing
    07-24-11 05:21 PM
    Didn't last week's update also add 15 new languages? I understand that may be meaningless for you but for some people it makes all the difference in the world, especially when it comes to making the PlayBook available in other countries.
    07-24-11 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD