OK So here is a thought. I'm definitely not a chip head but I was wondering why some people have problems with their PB while others don't. I realize that it's possible that there may be the odd lemon out there but it can't be the same in all cases. Me, I have similar problems to a few in that my browser keeps closing unexpectedly and games sometimes don't work right. What I'm wondering is, especially for the guys who have a perfect PB, what's under your hood. Perhaps you have an app that fixes some problems or perhaps we have apps that cause some problems. Me, I have nothing unusual, a few games, a few common apps. Perhaps the guys that have PB's that work well are running apps that most newbies wouldn't know about, like memory cleaners or power boosters or something. So what's under your hood??
    02-29-12 08:14 PM
    My Playbook works great. I have never sideloaded anything, ran an Android app, or used a beta. I have over 50 apps installed. Games for my grand kids, stacker for listening to music, poynt, file share, and other business apps. I hook it up to my tv and stream one show or movie each night.
    I put it on stand by before closing it or if it will be a couple hours I also put it in Airplane mode. While on battery I keep the screen brightness down. I average 5-6 hours of use per day and when I plug it back in at night it is around 20-25% most nights. I do charge it ever night on a rapid charger. I hope this helps
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-29-12 09:28 PM
    My Playbook works great. I have never sideloaded anything, ran an Android app, or used a beta. I have over 50 apps installed. Games for my grand kids, stacker for listening to music, poynt, file share, and other business apps. I hook it up to my tv and stream one show or movie each night.
    I put it on stand by before closing it or if it will be a couple hours I also put it in Airplane mode. While on battery I keep the screen brightness down. I average 5-6 hours of use per day and when I plug it back in at night it is around 20-25% most nights. I do charge it ever night on a rapid charger. I hope this helps
    Same here, everything on my PlayBook has been official since I purchased it in May. I use it every day, some days more than others, I average approx 8 hours a day of MY normal usage. Nothing spectacular about 65 apps, 1600 songs, 10 movies. I dropped it once, bought an Otterbox , but nothing under the "hood". I guess I got a GOOD batch.....knock on wood (knocking) ....that's it nothing special....charge every night
    Edit...do all updates OTA with NO security wipe just a hard reset when the update is complete
    Last edited by spencerdl; 02-29-12 at 10:30 PM.
    02-29-12 09:57 PM
    All OEM here. I am firm in my belief that the root of most PlayBook problems have everything to do with the Beta OS, android apps, rooting/jailbreaking, sideloading, etc.
    Spencerdl and calles like this.
    02-29-12 10:01 PM
    Same here. Though it's tempting to give it an try i will skip it. So everything is pretty ok,
    Under the hood. Tons of files on my playbook, such a relief to have it all on me while i'm on the go.
    02-29-12 10:06 PM
    no problems here either, and nothing special happening to prevent them. i don't have issues or crashes. only had to force a reboot once and as it turned out i didn't have to do that, i was just impatient. i don't know why some ppl seem to have buckets of issues and others don't. for what it's worth i did a security wipe and install of OS2 via desktop manager when i upgraded, but even before that i didn't have any problems.
    02-29-12 10:21 PM
    I would not be surprised if many people don't even know that their browser has closed on them.

My browser and email and various other apps would crash/close on me on a daily basis. I've already done the security wipe and reinstall. I don't have any side loaded apps, but I do run some android apps.
    02-29-12 10:30 PM
    All stock for me.. Running super smooth now.. It's been two days since a security wipe.. Sometimes there are a few crashes but i have some restarts pending..

Android has brought in a new set of problems for bb.. The problems in t never had..
    02-29-12 10:56 PM
    All OEM here. I am firm in my belief that the root of most PlayBook problems have everything to do with the Beta OS, android apps, rooting/jailbreaking, sideloading, etc.
    The root of most playbook issues is uer error.
    02-29-12 11:39 PM
    No root, sideloading, Android Player stuff here.

All is good except for the battery drain bug with email manual sync and the occasional vanishing acts by the browser.
    02-29-12 11:43 PM
    Really? The same goes for any phone related issues. 99% of issues with devices are user error. I for one don't have issue with my Playbook, which has sideloaded apps, and beta apps. I also dnt have issues with my Blackberry 9930, of which usually has a hybrid on it.

Am I talking out my arse here? No! I have several years in the cell phone industry both on the tech side and the sales side, and know that most devices that come back in with a device issue is caused by something the user has done; Or didn't know how to do.
    Last edited by BlackScorpion3; 02-29-12 at 11:54 PM.
    02-29-12 11:52 PM
    Hmmm, I have loaded every OS beta and official available, rooted and unrooted, upgraded and downgraded, installed OS2.0 official over 2.0 beta without wiping, sideloaded many apps, etc, etc and never had any battery issues, email issues, crashes, reboots or vanishing acts by my browser (whatever that is) or any other issues with my PB that I have seen listed in these forums and completely agree that most problems I have seen were user errors.
    03-01-12 12:03 AM
    user error.. ?? hey user maybe youre clicking on 'X' everytime you run the browser.. have you tried to stop doing that? Your browser will not crash anymore..
    03-01-12 12:38 AM
    i haven't had any problems with my playbook that a restart wouldn't fix.

i have about 50 different sideloaded apps, i keep a backup of my usb stick on it (64gig ftw), some movies and a bunch of music.
    03-01-12 12:42 AM
    OP you don't need any apps to run your system right.. It's matter of things falling in place.. sometimes the software (even though its the same) just doesn't seem to cooperate..

like ^^ just restart your device and a lot gets solved.. if not.. then backup your device and give it a security wipe.. you might lose out on everything.. but it will give you a nice working system.. and then try not to load all the apps at once.. install a few and use them.. if you don;'t see any problems.. go ahead and install another few.. sometimes its a rogue app that can just play around with your system.. or most times your just unlucky.. and you gotta do it all again and again..

IMO it takes bout a week and 3-4 full shutdown and start to get your system to completely settle in.. If some issue comes up.. just know that its not permanent.. a restart might resolve that and you might never see it happen even again..

Theres very little you can go wrong with the PB OS.. so i say its a lot to do with luck..
    03-01-12 01:26 AM
    The root of most playbook issues is uer error.
    You can say/spell that again!

Where would we be if folks did not learn by experimentation - penicillin (saved my life), for one. Kindle, sideloaded on my pb works. Native email, shipped with my pb eats the battery (oh, and the kindle was added after the battery-eating adventure).
    03-01-12 09:02 AM
    No root, sideloading, Android Player stuff here.

All is good except for the battery drain bug with email manual sync and the occasional vanishing acts by the browser.
    Ah, and I did not even see your post when I posted my experience. Also, try setting the Snooze time to 15 minutes (shipped with OS2 Calendar) and it will not work.
    03-01-12 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD