Can someone please explain it to me what is the point of all these tablets that are comming out? Ok I get the point of smart phones. Its almost like having your computer as your cell phone. But what is the point of a tablet. It seems to me like its a nicer looking version of a netbook. But why not just come out with a better netbook? Do these tablets have keyboards? (Not big on touch screens) someone please enlighten me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 02:16 PM
    Many people want a device between a smartphone and a computer (laptop or netbook).

Can you fit a netbook in the back pocket of your jeans?
    Do you sometimes have a hard time seeing what's on the screen of your phone?

If you don't like touchscreens or see any point in one, then obviously they aren't for you.
    01-28-11 02:32 PM
    Basically what ridesno159 said... I would classify them as a more portable and convenient option to browse the net and play games than a laptop. They sort of fill the gap in between a smartphone and a laptop.

01-28-11 02:36 PM
    Can someone please explain it to me what is the point of all these tablets that are comming out? Ok I get the point of smart phones. Its almost like having your computer as your cell phone. But what is the point of a tablet. It seems to me like its a nicer looking version of a netbook. But why not just come out with a better netbook? Do these tablets have keyboards? (Not big on touch screens) someone please enlighten me

I wouldn't try to talk YOU into one, but I'm very eager to get one of the upcoming 7" devices. It's portable enough to take with me, yet large enough that it will be easier to type upon, and easier to see images (text, video, pics, ANYTHING). What's NOT to like? I have a netbook. I rarely use it, even though its 9.7" screen is very bright and crisp. Video stutters, and it's just frickin' AWKWARD to use. the keyboard is too cramped to touch type on(something that newer netbooks have fixed on some models) and it's a PITA to use in bed--the screen doesn't tilt back far enough. A FLAT device, such as a tablet would eliminate that problem 100%.

Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by dave1812; 01-28-11 at 02:49 PM.
    Daniel Ratcliffe and dollface like this.
    01-28-11 02:36 PM
    I wouldn't try to talk YOU into one, but I'm very eager to get one of the upcoming 7" devices. It's portable enough to take with me, yet large enough that it will be easier to type upon, and easier to see images (text, video, pics, ANYTHING). What's NOT to like? I have a netbook. I rarely use it, even though it's 9.7" screen is very bright and crisp. Video stutters, and it's just frickin' AWKWARD to use. the keyboard is too cramped to touch type on(something that newer netbooks have fixed on some models) and it's a PITA to use in bed--the screen doesn't tilt back far enough. A FLAT device, such as a tablet would eliminate that problem 100%.

Hope that answers your question.
    The Davester talks sense here. What a Playbook or iPad will do, is bring the bacon home between the laptop and the netbook. True, they could just improve netbooks, but then RIM wouldn't be entering into this new market segment. Tablets are meant to be more consummation devices. And yes, trying to use my MacBook in bed is a PITFA... it makes me need a girlfriend even more so I don't have to deal with the stupid thing...
    1812dave likes this.
    01-28-11 02:48 PM
    The Davester talks sense here. What a Playbook or iPad will do, is bring the bacon home between the laptop and the netbook. True, they could just improve netbooks, but then RIM wouldn't be entering into this new market segment. Tablets are meant to be more consummation devices. And yes, trying to use my MacBook in bed is a PITFA... it makes me need a girlfriend even more so I don't have to deal with the stupid thing...
    consumption....THAT'S why we need an UNLIMITED data plan with these puppies!
    01-28-11 02:51 PM
    Whats the point of a netbook when they could just improve laptops or even desktops? It is all about evolution, all technology is getting better all the time. The reason for inventing new devices like tablets is, we can. Imagine the first PDA that didn't even have a cellular radio. Someone might have said it was unnecessary then, but look at all this cool stuff it spawned. There will still be plenty of portable computers with the old stand by keyboard for years and years to come. But it seems like now is the time for the tablet trials, not because laptops are obsolete but because portable is more and more popular, and all the companies want a piece of the action. They are coming up with a specialized version of Windows for touch screens, but even with an iPad or something like an HP Touchsmart PC, wireless keyboards make a great accessory.
    01-28-11 07:38 PM
    Excellent topic for discussion but I'll take it a bit further. What do we call the tablets that have bee on the market for years that actually run a full version of windows and other OS's? I have a Motion Computing tablet (LS800) that I bought for traveling sales. It was/is a great platform for running a GPS for too many reasons that are far superior to Garmin, TomTom, etc. My biggest issue with it is the battery life but going on 2.5-3 years the tech was not really there yet.

Here's a question that would be great to have answered. If Delorme would build an app would their USB gps antenna/receiver be able to be utilized?
    01-28-11 08:23 PM
    Because tablets were preordained in the scriptures...?

01-28-11 08:45 PM
    Just whatever fits your needs really. Im loving the whole BB Amplified thing and that its not just OS5 or 6slapped onto a tablet, or a smartphone OS on a bigger screen. Being able to do a lot of the things that i need for school on something that has a larger screen than my phone and is much more portable is a great benefit to me. If i can use this to easily type documents and do excel spreadsheets, this will replace a good 90% of what I use my laptop for.

That browser on the Playbook looks absolutely amazing as well...........I will never open the browser on my 8900 again as long as I have my Playbook around me. Praise Jesus lol
    01-28-11 08:55 PM
    I sortof get it, but I'm speaking on more of an economic point of view. I was one of the last to get on the blackberry wave. ****, I haven't had a cell phone sice 2005.( I was a john doe lol) but I always said that when it came time for me to get a cell phone, I weas going to make sure it was a phone that could multi task well. So that's how I ended up with the phone I have now. And I get it. Tablets are pretty cool, but I just don't see them to be very practical, and I feel that in this economy its going to be and inovative waste of time because the only people buying them are people who are only buying them because they can. The only reason I would buy one is because they are cool.examle: I've notice in the past years bblackberry has been the leader in mobile sales in my area. Granted some ppl have only bought them because of the cool factor, but mostly got it because of their functions. Now not to say a tablet isn't a pda, but wouldn't it be more economically sound for blackberry just to make a netbook/tablet. Or like a high powered tablet. Instead of peoiple b uying labtops, everyone would buy tablets, and that would open their market. Right now their market seems to be only the people who what a bridge between the two platforms.....

01-29-11 12:04 AM
    crimsonwolf wrote: the only people buying them are people who are only buying them because they can.

How do people buy them if they "can't"??

crimsonwolf wrote: The only reason I would buy one is because they are cool.examle:

that's absolutely the WORST reason to buy something. If you want to be a hipster, I have no sympathy for you. Good luck!
    01-29-11 01:05 AM
    Why would I buy this thing? It does stuff my BlackBerry can't.
    Does Android do everything I need my smartphone to do? No, no support for my BlackBerry Presenter that was a Christmas present, which I won't sell. That's a deal-breaker and a half.
    Will I buy this thing? Absolutely.
    01-29-11 01:19 AM
    I'm looking for a mobile device between my desktop and my phone.

I thought that a netbook would fit my needs so I brought a Dell Mini 9. I quickly found out that it didn't. It was too heavy and it could not fit into my purse. Also I did not have a simple solution for constant internet connection.

I feel that a 7" tablet with carrier 3g/4g support will fill my needs. I just have to decide which one to get and I'm willing to wait for the right one.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 01-29-11 at 08:50 AM.
    01-29-11 08:13 AM
    The only reason someone buys anything is that they can, and they a see a fair bit of practicality in it. Like a laptop, don't take them for granted, I know people who have just got their first laptops ever in past year or so. Tablets, maybe, are the most useful to people that have a laptop and or a smartphone, and either want a larger screen experience, or a smaller more portable one?

Laptops too, are starting to appear with more tablet like properties/factors. We'll start seeing more touch and rotating screens on laptops so for people that don't see any good need for a tablet, they can stick with laptops that are still more traditional but that can do really cool pinch to zoom stuff or whatever.
    Last edited by aawilson; 01-29-11 at 11:19 AM.
    01-29-11 10:51 AM
    I want something that is smaller than my 17" laptop for use in class :P and its just dang cool haha
    01-29-11 12:28 PM
    crimsonwolf wrote: the only people buying them are people who are only buying them because they can.

How do people buy them if they "can't"??

crimsonwolf wrote: The only reason I would buy one is because they are cool.examle:

that's absolutely the WORST reason to buy something. If you want to be a hipster, I have no sympathy for you. Good luck!
    Wow.......... Some people buy things even though its not practical or cost effective is what I'm saying. And yes people do buy things just because the device is popular. Don't act surprised. Its america right?

01-29-11 01:21 PM
    The only reason someone buys anything is that they can, and they a see a fair bit of practicality in it. Like a laptop, don't take them for granted, I know people who have just got their first laptops ever in past year or so. Tablets, maybe, are the most useful to people that have a laptop and or a smartphone, and either want a larger screen experience, or a smaller more portable one?

Laptops too, are starting to appear with more tablet like properties/factors. We'll start seeing more touch and rotating screens on laptops so for people that don't see any good need for a tablet, they can stick with laptops that are still more traditional but that can do really cool pinch to zoom stuff or whatever.
    see, I get what your saying. (Thanks for an accurate answer) but I'm saying. I'm sure blackberry has thought to make the tablets more like labtops to compete with the market, but I guess my question is, why don't they?

01-29-11 01:38 PM
    I want to pretend i'm Captain Kirk on the bus on the way to work!

In all serious, why would I want a netbook? Even he small ones are cumbersome to carry around. 7" tablet is perfect, plus the PB seems faster than most netbooks (correct me if i'm wrong). And it can sync with my Torch, which is already like a workhorse pc for me anyway, so now i have a bigger screen!
    01-29-11 01:51 PM
    Wow.......... Some people buy things even though its not practical or cost effective is what I'm saying. And yes people do buy things just because the device is popular. Don't act surprised. Its america right?

You didn't address my "hipster" comment. Feel free.
    01-29-11 03:19 PM
    I can see how tablets can be considered luxury items. But that's how cell phones started off. Look at us now, I can't go anywhere without my BlackBerry. Tablets will start off as luxury items, but give it a couple years and they will be the norm.
    01-29-11 08:44 PM
    Personally, I look at tablets as devices more suited to content consumption than a netbook and as such are complimentary rather than a replacement for them.
    01-30-11 09:32 AM
    If you have to ask...you don't need one...lol

Seriously though...as others have mentioned, we want our phones to be PC's but they're too small...we want our netbooks/laptops to be mobile, but they're too big and cumbersome...

Coincidentally, Engadget reports that 86% of us search the web while watching TV, and I am one of those. Im always wanting to read further about something while watching TV, reading etc...My laptop is a PITA to keep in my lap and my phone, usually does the trick, but a "ready to go" tablet is the perfect solution...

This is one reason why I recently purchased the BB Style 9670 to eventually compliment a new tablet (hopefully a PB)...I like the form factor of the Style as I will use it primarily for a phone and quick checks of email text etc and it fits well in my pocket, then a portable tablet will handle all the rest...

Give it 5 yrs (maybe sooner) and we will all be toting around a portable tablet that may or may not double as our phone, and/or it wouldnt surprise me to see cell phones go back in time and be smaller devices for basic phone services as a mate to tablets.

When these flexible touch screens get perfected we may just see the ultimate hybrid...a tablet that will collapse to a pocket size phone...Voila'
    01-30-11 10:53 AM
    That's for sure. I don't know why I ever respond in threads where someone is asking why they should get something. I don't really care what the heck they buy. I know I'm on a fool's errand when I spend any time responding to such requests.
    01-30-11 12:29 PM

Seriously though...as others have mentioned, we want our phones to be PC's but they're too small...we want our netbooks/laptops to be mobile, but they're too big and cumbersome...

Coincidentally, Engadget reports that 86% of us search the web while watching TV, and I am one of those. Im always wanting to read further about something while watching TV, reading etc...My laptop is a PITA to keep in my lap and my phone, usually does the trick, but a "ready to go" tablet is the perfect solution...

This is one reason why I recently purchased the BB Style 9670 to eventually compliment a new tablet (hopefully a PB)...I like the form factor of the Style as I will use it primarily for a phone and quick checks of email text etc and it fits well in my pocket, then a portable tablet will handle all the rest...

Give it 5 yrs (maybe sooner) and we will all be toting around a portable tablet that may or may not double as our phone, and/or it wouldnt surprise me to see cell phones go back in time and be smaller devices for basic phone services as a mate to tablets.

When these flexible touch screens get perfected we may just see the ultimate hybrid...a tablet that will collapse to a pocket size phone...Voila'

i think thats a very good summarization of how the tablets will fit into the market. another way to look at it is to consider the tablet as a laptop/netbook with a different form factor. the lp/nb is a flip open device where as the tablet has no keyboard... its similar to the debate about form factors in a phone.

when it comes to the economical use of a tablet, i think theyre are very specific niches that the tablet will be best suited towards:

- jobs that can take advantage of a large, interactive displays that are better suited to being open all the time (w/o a keyboard like a lp/nb). These jobs would include doctors, pilots, contractors, technicians, lawyers... you name it the list goes on an on.

- students who want to replace their paper and pens for an electronic notepad with huge capacities for storage. in the future, touchs screens, stylis, and the devices themselves will be strong enough where people can just write on them exactly the same as they would with paper and pen. right now people are using lp/nb for recording notes in class, but you can't draw on them when it comes to copyign diagrams or somethign of that sort. and if you use the lp/nb that flips around and doubles as a touch screen with a stylus.. that thign is friggin clunky, huge, and awkward to use. typically theyre not optimized for a touch screen experience.

i think if one wants to cover all their bases and really use technology to enrichen their lives their best bet is to use a blackberry for on the go communication, have a tablet for accessing and storing information on the go, and then a desktop for your at home computing needs which doubles as an entertainment center. Finally, when you need to take your at home computer needs with you on the go, you can own a cheap netbook that allows you to work on documents and other tedious tasks that a tablet wouldn't do a great job doing because of its touch screen nature and lack of keyboard.

it would be nice if there was a very easy and convenient way to syncronize all of your devices. when you make a change on one device, all of the other devices would know about it. when you buy software for your desktop... you also have a copy for the lp/tab/bb. i think this is a niche that windows can fulfill, and therefore, overtake google if they play their cards right.

in the future i can see that the tablets lp/nbs merging as technology improves.
    Last edited by donpeppino9; 01-30-11 at 12:41 PM.
    01-30-11 12:35 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD