Hey im getting a 16gb playbook , I know its had its problems but getting better so whats the first apps and updates I should download? I want this thing optimized right out of the gate.

I really didnt want one but got hooked while playing around with it So just want to make it worth while and reduce an of the negatives.
    06-22-11 04:17 PM
    all you have to do is update to the latest version os 1.6 and your good to go.... im sure the playbook will prompt you to update... And for the apps you will have to browse appworld and find something you like... Not many apps at this moment but eventually we'll get more....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 04:21 PM
    download the latest update. really thats it, ohhh and in before "hurrrrdurrrr return it!!!! durrr i r so witty".but yeagh then download some games and apps, stay away from poynt and dillo hills until further notice. they are currently broked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by drethos; 06-22-11 at 04:24 PM.
    06-22-11 04:22 PM
    Games:
    Bubble Birds - pretty entertaining/addicting
    Word Stone - same
    Moo - fun/harder as you go along
    Rocket Storm - i love and hate it both at the same time

Other:
    BlueBox - if you use DropBox its pretty good/convenient
    MarketLive - pretty handy if you're into the market (stocks/currency) etc.
    BlackBerry News - awesome, great layout. just like reading a newspaper
    CrackBerry - duh!

I have a few more but to start of, those should keep you busy. If you're updating to the current os, it should already have FaceBook, NFS, Tetris, Weather, Poynt, etc.
    06-22-11 04:40 PM
    Once you have done the up date then, if you plan on taking it out of the house, you should think about buying a case to put it in. There are inexpensive ones on Ebay and Amazon and then there are more expensive ones on those sites and elsewhere. Start downloading the free apps so you can have an idea of the things you can do with it. Search the forums here for specific advice on programs, etc. especially the Tips & Tricks thread. Just enjoy using it and don't focus so much on what it can't do but focus on what features you can do with it. With time I believe all the negative points will be addressed by RIM and the PB will be worth the wait.
    06-22-11 04:42 PM
    If you have not, register for a Blackberry id! It needs to be an email address so you might want to give some thought to which one you want associated with the playbook.
    06-22-11 05:02 PM
    Get an HDMI output cable so you can enjoy podcasts, NFB films, vimeo, (or whatever suits your tastes) on a larger screen. Even Crackberry is nice to browse on the big screen. Definitely try the videochat.
    06-22-11 05:24 PM
    Download the free flashlight app, turn it on and look at the screen closely to ensure that your unit does not have any dead pixels...
    Cheers, & enjoy
    06-22-11 06:11 PM
    download Zombies stole my toaster. totally worth the 0.99 and by far the most entertaining game to date.
    06-22-11 06:18 PM
    Apps:
    Air Browser - good free file browser
    Air Hockey - very nice implementation
    Barry Black - a little confused, doen't know too much about the playbook, but fun to talk to.
    Blackberry news app for Playbook - Very nice RSS feed app that lets you customize your daily news feed.
    Bubu Fish - Match the fish you shoot at. Fun looking and addictive.
    Display Test - Color schemes to ensure you don't have dead pixels
    Doodle Blast - A great challenging game with a great hand drawn look.
    Hangman - Classic game implemented nicely for the playbook.
    Kick it up - Keep the soccer ball bouncing without hitting the ground.
    Make'emlaugh - Audience sound effects sure to **** someone off.
    News 360 - Really nice news app. Gives multiple sources for each story.
    Penguin Feeder - Cool game that uses multi-touch.
    Performancetester - Gives device benchmarks.
    Popcornrush - Pop the corn with your finger without getting a hot pepper.
    Powerpong - Very nice pong game.
    Reelportal video chat - Good working alternate to native video chat.
    Scrapbook - App written by TAT to showcase the Playbook's UI capabilities.
    The CB app - What would your Playbook be without the Crackberry App
    Tweedless - Decent Twitter feed app.
    Xtrem Snowboarding - Fun snowboarding app using touchscreen.

And they're all free! Have fun.
    06-22-11 06:56 PM
    I have Tweedless, and I also paid for Blaq which is another Twitter client. Blaq has a very slick UI and seems to work well, so I am happy to have paid for it. Hootsuite also works fairly well through the browser if you desire something web-based.
    06-22-11 07:01 PM
    Essentially, you want a file browser. That is really the only app that you'll really need and even then its not a necessity. Other than that, really depends on what you plan to use it for.

Most of the stock apps will cover your productive uses.
    06-22-11 07:10 PM
    thanks for all the input, im typing this on my pb now. Awesome device!
    06-22-11 08:07 PM
    realize you just wasted your money and return it ASAP? I just wish I'd figured that out before now...

OR, you could try to read a PDF on that admittedly beautiful crisp screen and have the super lame Adobe Reader app crash on you every second page (thanks, latest update that brings no visible improvements!)

because there's already SO MUCH you can do with this thing (err.. no), let's just make sure one of the few things it's good at (reading) becomes unusable. you know, just so that it's a COMPLETE failure.

worst. purchase. ever.
    06-22-11 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD