What Will The Next Generation of Playbook Look Like?
02-03-13 06:27 AM
- With BB 10 on its way (the countdown has begun) I thought I would put the question out to the CrackBerry Forum Members What will be the Next Generation of Playbook?
From the onset let me say that I REALLY REALLY Like my Playbook; I have from the beginning (even after paying full price and not getting a generous discount but I digress). The size, weight and general quality of the hardware has impressed me; far and above that of its competitors.
By-the-way, I was not one that just jumped on the Playbook band wagon because I enjoyed the BB phones. I went out and tested every tablet on the market at the time. From the iPad, a plethora of Android and Windows (7) tablets; all very nice but I found so much more in the Playbook I just had to have one. Integration with my BB Phone; Adobe, processing power, true milti-tasking, Flash, Bridge, and useful applications all went into my decision to spend the money (yes, it was lacking initially but I know it would come and RIM has not disappointed me in the end).
That said, we also know that BB 10 will change the game somewhat and while my next phone will sport the latest (and promises to be the greatest) OS in the form of Blackberry 10, the Playbook, even with QNX 2+, will be, dare I say, old school when compared to 10.
My question then is to throw open the flood gates and see what gets washed away. What would you like to see changed in the Playbook?
Would you want to just have an upgraded OS (from 2+ to 10)?
Is a larger (or smaller why I dont know) screen be better or even an option of two different size screens?
Should RIM get some of the incredibly talented folks in the graphics and personal electronic world to re-design the Playbook shell? Many of you will remember CrackBerrys design the BB10 postings; I was blown away by the great graphics and would still like to see a BB Blade come to fruition.
Faster Processer? Dual or quad core processers?
Different screen (higher definition, better resolution, 3D.)?
Is the ability to add more memory (SD type card(s); micro-SD, etc) worthwhile?
Lets have some great dialog and feedback folks; we know the good people at RIM read Crackberry (who doesnt after all) and you never know, they just might get an idea or two for the next generation of Playbook.12-12-12 12:37 PM
- Finish PBOS as it was meant to be, don't use BB10 with it's Active Frames and all that... which I think is a compromise for the small screens on phones not needed for tablets. Which reminds me...
Lose the carousel! It's pretty, it's fun to play with (I love flicking things off screen lol), but it's annoying in actual use. I never use it anymore unless I have to. Thumbnails change appearance, making it difficult to visually identify the app you want as it's flying by. It's SO much easier to just swipe up and tap the icon in the dock (if it's there) to launch or re-open an app instead. Icons don't change appearance, you recognize them at glance.
Remove the lip surrounding the glass. It's rough, it's unpleasant, especially on a device that's so dependent on swiping everything from the bezels.
Let us reorder the home screens.
Bring back traditional BlackBerry things we all love, like Profiles and Bedside Mode and notification options (specific sounds for alert types, etc.).
I do love the speaker placement, overall size, screen clarity, battery life, HDMI port, charging dock pins, LED, processor speed (I never notice lag) and cameras.12-12-12 02:43 PM
- 12-12-12 04:00 PMLike 3
- 'home' buttons are for fruit lovers. I find it particularly difficult to use another tablet after using the PB. I've tried using my sister's ipad 3 to see what the big deal is, and I find it frustrating. The bezel gestures make the pb's UI awesome to use, and I'd like to have a few more gestures like we'll have on the BB10 phones.
I would love an upgrade to 10 on he PB as long as it improves the bridge function, but is the hardware in the PB good enough for all that BB10 will be able to do? Or do we have to wait for the next gen PB to fully realize the potential of a mobile computing platform?
And I while I love the size of this tablet, I would love to have a ten inch playbook for comics, movies, etc.12-12-12 05:45 PM
- For me, the current physical appearance of our PlayBook is quite good i.e. stereo speakers placed on sides and the landscape default orientation... but something has to be improved, such as the weight (the lighter, the better), the thickness (the thinner, the better), and the hardware specs i.e. more RAMs and powerful processor... the upcoming final version of BB10 may not need a quad-core processor and a 2GB RAM to run smoothly and experience a lag-free environment, but future Apps and games will demand these kind of specs and our PB must maximize its relevance to handle such software improvements... not to mention that it will be so appealing to customers that their purchased device has a 3 to 5-year life expectancy... I can say that, 99.9% of customers would love that...12-12-12 05:54 PM
- I like the lip on the PlayBook. It allows me to set my device face down without worrying about a scratch. It has never gotten in the way of me swiping this monstrous bezel lol. I would like the camera placed just a tad closer to the outside in hopes it would help with indoor pictures were the light isn't the best. That or include a flash like we saw on the 10 inch PlayBook. A smaller bezel with larger screen so long as the overall size doesn't change. The size is perfect for me. Other than that and aside from expected hardware upgrades, I wouldn't change much else. I'm curious if we will have the option to change back to tablet os if BlackBerry10 doesn't feel right with the PlayBook. Who am I kidding there will be so many improvements with BlackBerry10 you'd have to be crazy or just anal to keep tablet os on the PlayBook12-12-12 07:45 PM
- No home button, the successful the iPhone attributed (partially) to it's lack of buttons, so RIM has taken it one step further, and I love me some swipiness. The next PB needs a flash for the camera, and I would just be happy to re-order the browser icons, or maybe even have the folders there too.12-12-12 10:29 PM
- 12-12-12 10:57 PM
- Agreed. The smartphone user interface of BlackBerry OS 10 has no place on a tablet. I like the user interface of the BlackBerry Tablet OS.12-13-12 12:31 AMLike 2
Aside from what everyone else has mentioned I would like nfc and a camera flash on the device.
Something far out there, but nice, would be the incorporation of Thermoelectric Materials which could dramatically increase power consumption efficiency and potentially extend the battery life. (check the link for info)
Thermoelectric material is the best at converting heat waste to electricity
We all know how hot the BB logo at the heart of the device can get.12-14-12 11:55 AM
- 12-14-12 12:43 PM
- Playbook 2 will come out in two version
1. High end Quad core, 64GB+ HD, 1280x960 display, HD front and back camera, high capacity battery, thinner design, high quality materials, HD speakers, optional LTE
2. Low end Dual core 32GB- HD, 1024x720 display, Low end front and back camera, lower capacity battery, thicker design, mostly plastic, low quality speakers,
I could imagine new type of snap on keyboard. (similar to surface)12-14-12 03:55 PM
- Playbook 2 will come out in two version1. High end Quad core, 64GB+ HD, 1280x960 display, HD front and back camera, high capacity battery, thinner design, high quality materials, HD speakers, optional LTE2. Low end Dual core 32GB- HD, 1024x720 display, Low end front and back camera, lower capacity battery, thicker design, mostly plastic, low quality speakers, I could imagine new type of snap on keyboard. (similar to surface)12-14-12 04:08 PM
- BlackBerry PlayBook Forums
- BlackBerry PlayBook
What Will The Next Generation of Playbook Look Like?
- By Anonymous-Innovation in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 11-01-11, 05:34 AM
- By tafasa in forum BlackBerry Storm2Replies: 184Last Post: 07-26-10, 05:20 PM
- By tafasa in forum Storm 3rd Party AppsReplies: 66Last Post: 05-21-10, 11:58 AM
- By blkbryluva in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 14Last Post: 05-14-09, 09:22 AM
- By lnichols in forum SprintReplies: 10Last Post: 04-14-09, 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD