For everyone who is not sure, myself included.
    01-11-12 05:10 PM
    Go to the main page and you will find a few videos by the owner/founder of the forum on what's new with OS 2.0.
    01-11-12 05:13 PM
    This would be a good place to start http://crackberry.com/first-look-ful...tacts-and-more
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-remote

Other than that, RIM hasn't shown us anything else yet, so we don't know if they will be more.
    hpjrt and spike12 like this.
    01-11-12 05:15 PM
    Some of the anticipated things coming as part of OS 2.0 are:

1) Modified Home screen UI
    2) Native Email, Calendar, and Contacts
    3) Improved browser
    4) Ability to use Blackberry Phone as a Playbook remote, keyboard etc
    5) Improvements to the Docs to go suite and the PDF reader
    6) Features like Bluetooth A2DP, MKV Video format support, USB on the go support
    7) a File Manager
    8) a Video store
    9) Android runtime to run Android Apps
    10) Auto Correct
    11) various new tools and API's for the developers.
    12) other goodies like new apps Print2go, games etc

more details about OS 2.0 will be showcased at Devcon Europe next month (Feb 15th) and will be released shortly after.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-11-12 at 05:24 PM.
    01-11-12 05:22 PM
    usb on the go has been confirmed? also mkv support? wow, that would be awsome
    01-11-12 05:26 PM
    MKV support is in the current beta, can't see why it wouldn't also be included in the official release. I have not read anything about USB otg support.
    01-11-12 05:29 PM
    usb on the go has been confirmed? also mkv support? wow, that would be awsome
    USB OTG hasn't been confirmed but analysis of the betas makes it clear RIM is working on it. When it gets released we don't know, hopefully with 2.0.

MKV support is already in the beta, but it has some catches. See my explanation at http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post7012242 .
    jafobabe and CanadianThomas like this.
    01-11-12 05:35 PM
    Yeah, it kinda strikes me that USB OTG hasn't been mentioned officially. Not sure why if that means it isn't coming even though it shows being worked on in the beta.
    01-11-12 05:47 PM
    There are lots of things in the beta that may not be included in the first 2.0 release:

Netflix, A2DP, USB host mode (OTG), Facebook integration for the PIM (in addition to the Twitter and LinkedIn support we've now seen demoed at CES) and more...

RIM often has work-in-progress in the beta but they're fairly careful not to commit to any schedule for things until they are confident the feature will be stable and complete enough to deliver, so just because we've seen it isn't sufficient reason to expect it. Anticipate, yes, but probably not expect.
    01-11-12 06:10 PM
    NetFlix? Where did you see NetFlix is going to be supported?
    01-11-12 06:15 PM
    This has been gone over 100 times on the forums ever since it first came up. Most recently in the Netflix thread, look at my post in http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7021668 .
    mikeyplaybook66 likes this.
    01-11-12 06:49 PM
    Please read it more carefully. I said the following items may NOT be included in the first release, then mentioned Netflix.

NOT included...

Nobody knows whether Netflix will ever be supported on the PlayBook. There are many things that could hold it back, including a lack of support from marketing at RIM (maybe they want to give their own store a chance first), a lack of willingness to go ahead with things on the part of Netflix (maybe they don't want to look like they're playing second fiddle to RIM's video store), some remaining technical issues which prevent engineering from signing off on its release, legal or contractual holdups, and so on.
    01-11-12 07:06 PM

3) Improved browser
    6) Features like Bluetooth A2DP, MKV Video format support, USB on the go support
    7) a File Manager
    8) a Video store
    10) Auto Correct

more details about OS 2.0 will be showcased at Devcon Europe next month (Feb 15th) and will be released shortly after.
    Thanks a lot for the information, but how do you know it's after the devcon and it's SHORTLY after? Thanks.
    01-11-12 08:09 PM
    Thanks a lot for the information, but how do you know it's after the devcon and it's SHORTLY after? Thanks.
    I wondered the same.

Then I realized that, unlike with the last DevCon and the "to be released thereafter" comment (it was never "shortly thereafter" though many claimed it was), this time it's not so open-ended.

If it is after DevCon Europe (Feb 7-8) (and does anyone expect the release earlier?) then it has to be "shortly" after unless they end up missing the promised February release date.

Unless you don't define up to 21 days to be "short".
    01-11-12 08:18 PM
    I wondered the same.

Then I realized that, unlike with the last DevCon and the "to be released thereafter" comment (it was never "shortly thereafter" though many claimed it was), this time it's not so open-ended.

If it is after DevCon Europe (Feb 7-8) (and does anyone expect the release earlier?) then it has to be "shortly" after unless they end up missing the promised February release date.

Unless you don't define up to 21 days to be "short".
    But how do we know it's AFTER? It can be any time between February 1 and February 29.

I can wait as long as it's released in February, but sf49ers sounds as if he knows something I don't.
    01-11-12 08:21 PM
    There are lots of things in the beta that may not be included in the first 2.0 release:

Netflix, A2DP, USB host mode (OTG), Facebook integration for the PIM (in addition to the Twitter and LinkedIn support we've now seen demoed at CES) and more...

RIM often has work-in-progress in the beta but they're fairly careful not to commit to any schedule for things until they are confident the feature will be stable and complete enough to deliver, so just because we've seen it isn't sufficient reason to expect it. Anticipate, yes, but probably not expect.
    Check out Engadget's interview with Alex Saunders - at around 1:32 they ask what social feeds are in the native PIM and he says LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter... just not Google+.
    01-11-12 08:39 PM

3) Improved browser
    7) a File Manager
    8) a Video store
    10) Auto Correct

Good list, but you left out the best feature:

Not much left to complain about.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 08:56 PM.
    CanadianThomas and ralfyguy like this.
    01-11-12 08:53 PM
    Do the native email client support Exchange(ActiveSync)?
    Last edited by slbailey1; 01-12-12 at 10:56 AM.
    01-12-12 10:54 AM
    Check out Engadget's interview with Alex Saunders - at around 1:32 they ask what social feeds are in the native PIM and he says LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter... just not Google+.
    Also noted in the interview is that Google+ currently doesn't have an API for developers, i.e. RIM can't support it until Google allows them to.
    01-12-12 12:33 PM
    Do the native email client support Exchange(ActiveSync)?
    Gmail connections appear to be ActiveSync based. Whether you can activate on any Exchange server is still an open question, but I'd assume so.
    01-12-12 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD