Since the PlayBook is now officially end of life'd, what does the CrackBerry community think have been it's greatest features/achievements?

For me, with this being my first tablet and my first BlackBerry device I was thrilled with it when I got it in the January sales a year ago for �100 because it had the best hardware specs and would be a nice thing to use. It even got me interested in spending a bit extra and getting a Blackberry phone (though I ended up getting two, a second hand Torch for �50 which I adored and a Z10 a few months ago). So without any more staring through rose tinted glasses in this post, here's what I think are the PlayBook's best bits:

- BlackBerry Bridge
    Using the tablet to interact with a phone was such a brilliant feature using the Torch. If I was being particularly lazy I'd just bridge it then if I got a text on the bus whilst reading an ebook I didn't have to fish my phone out of my pocket, I just swiped to the message app and bashed out a reply on the tablet.

- The storage size
    64GB at a time when all the other tablets in my price range were 4-8GB. Enough said

- Gestures
    Made the tablet so easy to use, to the point where if I'm trying to do something on my mother's Samsung tab I instinctively swipe up from the bottom to get to the apps, even though that doesn't work on that tablet.

- Ease of backing it up
    Hook it up to a computer running BlackBerry Desktop. Hit backup/restore. Tweak settings if needed. Press button. Wait. Done.

- Side loading android apps
    Even through the Chrome extension it was pretty easy if the app installed correctly.

So that's enough from me for now, what about all of you?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Alex Rees; 04-26-14 at 09:19 AM.
    snackbar and Gooseberry Falls like this.
    04-04-14 03:12 AM
    For me, the PB with the BT keyboard, bridged to my BlackBerry, became a replacement for the laptop I would normally take to meeting for note-taking, etc. In fact, I still use it for that purpose.
    anon(5597702) and Orange UK like this.
    04-04-14 07:06 AM
    Amen to the Bridge. Had a myriad of uses.

I actually had great use for the calculator! I used it at school for my physics class, and it was the only calculator that gave the exact answer my teacher was looking for; all the real calculators had to be tricked into giving a certain figure!

The multitasking gestures are still one of my favorite features. Being able to set it so everything runs in the background, and switching back and forth at the speed of light was incredible! Plus, SUPER cool :P

The screen is awesome, the soft touch back is awesome, the battery life is awesome... (runs to find playbook).
    04-04-14 07:22 AM
    It was ahead of it's time when it came out. Extremely well built, even compared to today's tablets.
    04-04-14 07:55 AM
    It was ahead of it's time when it came out. Extremely well built, even compared to today's tablets.
    Agreed. I think the gesture-only interface and multitasking was and still are my favourite aspects about this tablet.

Great audio, too, and dual front-facing speakers; many new tablets still seem to put speaker(s) on the back!
    04-04-14 08:04 AM
    For me the speakers, paired with very unfussy broad audio/video codec support.

After that, the screen's very good colour representation.

Posted via CB10
    darkhawk likes this.
    04-04-14 08:06 AM
    The size at the time was unheard of, but it was exactly what I had been waiting for. The critics were saying nobody would ever want a 7" tab. Fast forward to today, where tablets like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD have been selling like hotcakes.

Front-facing stereo speakers (that sound great). STILL one of the only tablets to have these, and I don't understand why more haven't done this because I think it makes perfect sense and is a brilliant feature.

Micro HDMI out. Output 1080p to a TV or display without the need for a proprietary adapter or additional hardware.

True multitasking OS that lets you easily manage and toggle between multiple running apps with simple gestures. Modern tqblet OSes STILL don't have quite this same functionality. Windows 8/RT comes close.

Great accessories like the rapid charging stand and Bluetooth Mini Keyboard with trackpad have really enhanced the usefulness and functionality for me.

Even after three years, as support for it ends, it is a great little tablet. I will continue to use it unti it dies or becomes so obsolete as to be unuseable.
    04-04-14 08:21 AM
    Just like a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

The speakers are the best thing about it. Plenty of audio apps to choose from. Sideloaded Spotify (despite running very slow) allows you to play full albums and not just random songs (shuffle mode) from any artist. As a patio sound system it is a functional solution. Hooked bluetooth to the Bose Soundlink II, the neighbours get to enjoy it too.
    04-04-14 08:33 AM
    Speakers, gestures, build quality, storage, bridge.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-04-14 08:39 AM
    I loved the bridge functionality with my 9810 - I used to collect data from the field, and I was able to set-up excel spreadsheets, collect the data and process it right there while on-Site. It was my unstoppable mobile office. Never found the bluetooth keyboard/case around here though, I would have liked to have tried that one on for size.
    Now my favourite feature is sitting on the deck, controlling my home stereo through bluetooth with my PB as the jukebox - just waiting for the nice weather to come back to Southern Ontario!
    Also, great bang for your buck - I was thrilled when I got my 32Gig for $200 (only because I couldn't find a 64 Gig anywhere). Jumped on a $120 32Gig for my wife (which is currently loaded up and waiting for our trip to the hospital, for the delivery of our first-born!).
    04-04-14 10:52 AM
    Probably a lot of contention with this but in addition to all previously mentioned, I like the flash capabilities and browser choices. I don't find web browsing slow at all. Maybe because I use the private browsing mode and don't store any history or many favorites. I use Origami, Fast, and Simple in addition to the native browser. They all work a little different and I've figured out which I need for different purposes. I reach for it first even tho I have a Nexus 7. Just a better desktop-like experience.

KDB84, congrats and good luck on the new bundle of joy.
    04-04-14 11:03 AM
    EVERYTHING* BIS, build, speaker, screen...

*except the lack of OS updates every month to really get this baby going...
    Johberry likes this.
    04-04-14 11:03 AM
    Stereo speakers.

And the size. Heck, I could fit it into a pocket, plus that delicious leather envelope case.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:05 AM
    EVERYTHING* BIS, build, speaker, screen...

*except the lack of OS updates every month to really get this baby going...
    BIS???

What special build OS did you get your hands on?
    04-04-14 02:09 PM
    For me, the PB with the BT keyboard, bridged to my BlackBerry, became a replacement for the laptop I would normally take to meeting for note-taking, etc. In fact, I still use it for that purpose.
    YUP! hands down... any chance of a PB Crackberry browser app ? (the Android port is dismal) Can you pass that on to the powers that be please ?
    04-04-14 02:21 PM
    Stereo speakers.

And the size. Heck, I could fit it into a pocket, plus that delicious leather envelope case.

Posted via CB10
    Size - mine becomes a Bi-Pod in my jeans back pocket when I'm moving about...the volume on headphones is better than my Curve or Xperia SP.
    snackbar likes this.
    04-04-14 02:24 PM
    BIS???

What special build OS did you get your hands on?
    BIS bridge browsing, unlimited secure data...BLISS.
    04-04-14 02:25 PM
    I loved that i got mine free from playbookTO!
    Seriously, it's sits on my desk or in the studio everyday. It's my main calculator, sound system when working, i use it to pull quotes from my website for customers... my kids love the games on it.

I'm not too impressed with the bridge on my q5, but on my 9790 it was insane. Loved that feature and hasn't been replicated anywhere else.

I really liked that it wasn't an Apple or Samsung product. It was produced and the software was created by Canadians and that it was designed to complement my phone.

I wont miss it because it aint going anywhere. I look forward to the day BlackBerry decides to design and produce a new tablet. My fingers are crossed.
    axllebeer and nealjane1 like this.
    04-04-14 02:39 PM
    The beautiful display made it a great way to show my portfolio on the fly. Still does. I may delete everything else and use it just for that...

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 02:39 PM
    It really depends on what time of day it is. Now, in the evening, I'm watching the 11 o'clock news while browsing CrackBerry, using the Bluetooth keyboard that's almost impossible to get now, after the device has been on all day. Later, I'll take the device out of the keyboard case and set it in a charging cradle, and launch Today's Alarm Clock to listen to The Signal on CBC 2. In the morning, the Playbook having been recharged, I'll tote it around listening to something else on CBC (by now you can see why I've assumed my handle, eh?).

I use it for work, I use it for email (although my Z10 gets a lot of use for that, and as my Z10 has the active copy of BBM, the PlayBook gets less use now in Bridge mode). But it's like having at least 4 different devices. The best thing? That it can do so many other things, well.
    04-04-14 10:27 PM
    Size - mine becomes a Bi-Pod in my jeans back pocket when I'm moving about...the volume on headphones is better than my Curve or Xperia SP.
    Your jeans pockets must be huge. Are you a XXXL?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    04-05-14 01:29 AM
    It's not 'what were'......but rather 'What IS!!....im still using it and don't intend on jumping ship!!

Posted via CB10
    Alex Rees and axllebeer like this.
    04-05-14 05:38 AM
    still using, in fact typing on it this moment. I have to use a clunky laptop at work, I love having this little gadget with me the rest of the time. Facebook, browser, reading, music, radio apps, and it is my nightly alarm clock. I do miss the capabilities is had with the 9900, but am glad for the email and text linkage with the Z10. Wish I had gotten my hands on the intigrated Bluetooth keyboard case (anyone want to sell one?).
    I'll continue to use it as long as it works, or until Blackberry wakes up and develops a new one. I will never own an iPad or any other Apple product.
    04-05-14 06:25 AM
    I still use it for browsing, taking notes, watching videos, etc., etc., etc.
    snackbar likes this.
    04-05-14 11:51 AM
    still using, in fact typing on it this moment. I have to use a clunky laptop at work, I love having this little gadget with me the rest of the time. Facebook, browser, reading, music, radio apps, and it is my nightly alarm clock. I do miss the capabilities is had with the 9900, but am glad for the email and text linkage with the Z10. Wish I had gotten my hands on the intigrated Bluetooth keyboard case (anyone want to sell one?).
    I'll continue to use it as long as it works, or until Blackberry wakes up and develops a new one. I will never own an iPad or any other Apple product.
    I stile use It,like u. In bridge with Z10 is perfect... Tell me the app that u use pls. first for Fb And radio i need. I live in Italy, so i need some apps that worked universally pls.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 01:35 PM
32 12