I am interested market for a reasonably priced bluetooth keyboard. I am looking for a rechargeable one. I would like a few ideas. I prefer the non case ones. Thanks
    04-19-12 09:07 PM
    For the longest time i used the apple bluetooth Keyboard, which i found it had its pros and cons, but have to switched to the blackberry keyboard/track pad.

Here is what i have found to be pros and cons:

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard:
    Pros:
    -Larger keyboard, just like using a normal keyboard, makes typing a easy and smooth.

Cons:
    -Push button on and off switch - This was a big con for me, because i found the keyboard we keep turning itself on when i wanted it off. I try turn it off, then 15 mins later it be on again. The only real way i found to keep it off was to take the batteries out of the keyboard.
    -With having a larger keyboard you loose a bit of portability. Some people may not find that a con but to each their own.

Overall its not a bad keyboard size wise, and if you like keeping your keyboard connected most of the time.

Blackberry keyboard/touchpad.
    Pros:
    -very portable.
    -Nice having the touchpad, when it comes to editing documents.
    -built in rechargeable battery, The battery seems to last quite awhile.
    -has an on and off switch, which i like.

Cons:
    -every so often the keyboard will not respond and you have to turn the keyboard off and on again. But this happens not too often.
    -smaller keyboard, takes a little while to get used to the key spacing.

Overall i prefer the blackberry keyboard / touchpad, for its portability and typing experience, granted it takes a little while to get used to, but when you do its a breeze. (I typed this whole post while watching tv in the dark on the couch lol)

Also im not ranting or trying to bring up a blackberry vs apple comparison / argument here. Just giving you my honest thoughts on both products, the only two bluetooth keyboards i own. Jfyi

Hope that helps you out a bit with more info
    Dave_2611
    04-20-12 12:14 AM
    I have not used a BT keyboard yet with my PB... still waiting for my Blackberry mini keyboard order to ship from Crackberry..
    piman02 likes this.
    04-20-12 12:20 AM
    I also use the blackberry bluetooth keyboard. it does come with a case but the keyboard is easy to remove. it is very lightweight and portable when you carry it separately. the case is a little bulky and takes away from the sexiness of the playbook and the keyboard.

with the con posted above of the keyboard turning itself off and needing to turn it on and off again I have never experienced that. the keyboard does shut itself off after a few minutes of inactivity but all thats required to bring it back to life is by hitting the ctrl key w/ the bluetooth icon on it. It takes a bit it renegotiate in bluetooth but i would say its only 5 seconds or so.

if you do have large hands I would consider trying the keyboard out first, i have average size hands and I can type as fast on it as a normal keyboard. the numbers are skewed by one though and anyone who types w/o looking will have to look when inputing any numbers. its not just enough to know everything is off by one. I have had the keyboard for about a month now.

really enjoy it, i personally think its worth the $99 (mabye its 119 now not sure)
    04-20-12 12:24 AM
    So an On/Off switch is a must, noted! I almost bought an Apple keyboard because i knew that keyboard works with the Playbook. Now however, i'm not convinced anymore that might be the thing i want and maby even go for the official keyboard; despite it's small size.

I have quite large fingers hence my wish for a normal sized keyboard.
    04-20-12 02:56 AM
    At work someone threw out a Dell Bluetooth keyboard. It's a full sized unit complete with number pad, shortcut keys, multimedia keys and knob, etc., just like they provide for PCs with USB. I cleaned the battery contacts of minor corrosion from a leaking AA cell, put in new batteries and it works fine.

The full size is delightful to type on so for home use it's great. Being full size, it's relatively huge so it won't get carried around like my PlayBook. It *does* use AA alkaline cells, though you could use NiMH rechargeables I suspect.

The PlayBook doesn't appear to know how to handle many of the keys of a PC keyboard so you milage may vary. And, of course, if you type / keyboard a lot, the feel of a keyboard can make a huge difference in how you'll like it. If you have access to a computer store that carries something you're considering, you may do well to try one out.

All that said, if you're a touch typer, *any* real keyboard will be a vast improvement over any screen one.

Best to you - and all!
    EpicSoftworks likes this.
    04-20-12 11:51 AM
    I am contemplating purchasing a bluetooth keyboard as well. As of right now, I think I am going with the motorola keyboard with slide out trac kpad. At 13" it seems to be the perfect size and has great reviews.
    04-20-12 12:38 PM
    While you mention a preference for non-case Bluetooth keyboards, the HipStreet Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard has magnets in the back which allow you to remove the keyboard from the case. I have been using this case and keyboard with one of my professional-use BlackBerry PlayBooks allowing me to effectively have a notebook-replacement computer in many situations. The flat keys took awhile to adjust the way I type but this layout seems the norm for similar keyboards.
    04-20-12 01:39 PM
    I don't use it, but did test an old Palm foldable bluetooth keyboard designed for PDA's with the Playbook and it works fine. It's light and the two AAA batteries last for a very long time.
    04-20-12 01:52 PM
    I have been using the BB 9930 BT keyboard. Small, compact, trackpad and even includes a phone
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-20-12 06:15 PM
    Verbatim folding KB, expands to pretty well a full-size kb, uses AAA's, I use rechargeables in it.
    04-20-12 06:19 PM
    Using the one i posted weeks ago from amazon, works like a charm
    04-20-12 11:44 PM
    I use the blackberry mini keyboard.
    04-21-12 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD