I am really surprised that Blackberry leadership still at this late date doesn't understand the role of devices and specifically the individual role of device. By and large the laptop has become the new desktop. While portable in the sense of transporting in a briefcase,or book bad its not the device you use in a car or on an airplane to fire off a quick 2 paragraph email. You're on a smartphone. At the same time in your home or work office you're probably on your laptop. If you're watching a movie or streaming content poolside or at a cafe or on a plane you're likely on a tablet. The idea that the future of computing is one device is unlikely. Maybe one OS but not one device. Certain instances will still dictate a full QWERTY keyboard while others will require a 7 inch or greater screen. Yet in others you will want a smaller device (anyone who has tried to use a laptop in coach seating gets this).

I was watching this last night. At about the 1:30 mark they start talking about the new tricked out video production room.

What is interesting is that users have access to work content via MacBook, MiniMac, MacBook Pros and iMacs. They go on for about 4 minutes about how the coaches can have access to the same content via different devices that they may use in different situations.

So this where I dont get Blackberry's assertion that they want to be the future of mobile computing but apparently only wanting their OS on phone devices with 5" inch or smaller screens. I really was not surprised when shares dropped as much as they did the past couple of days. The message coming from Blackberry doesnt quite makes sense and it doesnt speak to the way people work.
    iusebb and blueberrymerry like this.
    07-03-13 12:40 PM
    For BlackBerry, future mobile computing is a dream that they have for the future of the Company... BB10 could be the key to making that dream come true for them once the hardware is created and is cheap enough for mass usage.

For Microsoft, Apple and even Google... Modern Mobile computing is what they are doing now. Office365, Google Business Apps, iCloud are all attempts to all users to be mobile and access the "content" from different locations on different types of machines.
    They aren't waiting until hardware catches up to where their dreams are.
    07-03-13 02:12 PM
    I am really surprised that Blackberry leadership still at this late date doesn't understand the role of devices and specifically the individual role of device. By and large the laptop has become the new desktop. While portable in the sense of transporting in a briefcase,or book bad its not the device you use in a car or on an airplane to fire off a quick 2 paragraph email. You're on a smartphone. At the same time in your home or work office you're probably on your laptop. If you're watching a movie or streaming content poolside or at a cafe or on a plane you're likely on a tablet. The idea that the future of computing is one device is unlikely. Maybe one OS but not one device. Certain instances will still dictate a full QWERTY keyboard while others will require a 7 inch or greater screen. Yet in others you will want a smaller device (anyone who has tried to use a laptop in coach seating gets this).

I was watching this last night. At about the 1:30 mark they start talking about the new tricked out video production room.

What is interesting is that users have access to work content via MacBook, MiniMac, MacBook Pros and iMacs. They go on for about 4 minutes about how the coaches can have access to the same content via different devices that they may use in different situations.

So this where I dont get Blackberry's assertion that they want to be the future of mobile computing but apparently only wanting their OS on phone devices with 5" inch or smaller screens. I really was not surprised when shares dropped as much as they did the past couple of days. The message coming from Blackberry doesnt quite makes sense and it doesnt speak to the way people work.
    The theory that we speculate about based on bbry's vague comments last month or so was that a bbphone would serve as the brains for a tablet sized screen or dumb tablet (or even bigger screen, say at work). This would supposedly make the dummy-tablet cheaper and lighter. The phone would have all of the sophisticated processing power and apps.

SUPPOSEDLY. Speculation.
    07-03-13 05:41 PM
    Can't wait for the first phone/tablet to come with a cooling fan... :-)
    FF22 likes this.
    07-03-13 06:14 PM
    Can't wait for the first phone/tablet to come with a cooling fan... :-)
    Well if you want to call the microsoft surface pro a tablet you don't have to wait.
    07-03-13 08:21 PM
    Mad Thor's ramblings about mobile computing mean nothing because the fool doesn't understand what a mobile computer was, even if it walked up to him and slapped him in the face.

I don't want to carry a super-duper 5-inch device that costs thousands of dollars, holds all my data and can be easily damaged or stolen. I would rather have a bunch of cheaper devices that talk to each other and share the same data and apps - the same cloud vision that Google, Apple and Microsoft are pushing. It would be even better if the NSA and GCHQ weren't snooping on all these but hey, I don't see any major Euro or Asian cloud providers yet
    07-03-13 10:35 PM
    I'm reminded of a line I once saw in a Dilbert cartoon, it went something like "Let's just sell them whatever we have and call it a strategy".
    07-03-13 10:46 PM