Someone suggested I use the Airplane mode instead of turning bluetooth and wifi on and off all the time - it works like a charm and I love that it does that, but what is the real/intended use for the airplane mode? Does it effect battery or anything to turn it on and off? Thx for the help.
    12-19-12 04:01 PM
    If you are on a flight it means you won't get arrested for leaving any radios on that could interfere with the plane and still use your device for watching movies, playing games or even working.
    12-19-12 04:10 PM
    Keeps airplane aloft.
    djenkins6 and Innovatology like this.
    12-19-12 05:13 PM
    Keeps airplane aloft.
    That's the other benefit, not only not in jail but arriving at your destination too.
    snow_stipple and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-19-12 05:41 PM
    In jail they take away your Playbook.
    reschp and bdguru like this.
    12-19-12 05:52 PM
    Airplane mode is super handy for speeding up your charge time.

Whenever I set my PB on the rapid charger base, I flick it into airplane mode, then tap standby (after verifying the little lightning bolt indicator is showing on the battery symbol). It speeds up the charging process. By how much? I don't know but it is noticeable.

After taking it off the charger base, I turn airplane mode off. I find it takes about 15 - 20 seconds to automatically reconnect to wifi and a bridged phone.
    bdguru and David in Durham like this.
    12-19-12 09:07 PM
    I'm on the 'why' fence.
    It takes one less tap to turn off the radio so why use airplane? Was there a time when it was actually easier to use airplane mode than simply turning off the radio? Or has it always just been a 'neat' thing to use?

I suppose if I left all my connections on all the time I might see a use.......
    12-19-12 10:14 PM
    One less tap? Using airplane mode turns on/off all (BT and wifi)at once. Where as doing the other way you have to remember to turn off/on bluetooth and wifi seperately
    12-19-12 10:52 PM
    Fair enough if you are in the habit of leaving BT on, then it's 4 moves for both either way and this is all academic.
    12-20-12 12:23 AM
    Keeps airplane aloft.
    research has shown this has no effect on plane navigation/operation etc,,, planes are built to withstand electronic interference,,, i'd be more inclined to think it's more of a security precaution...
    12-20-12 12:28 AM
    That's the other benefit, not only not in jail but arriving at your destination too.
    Well, you don't need to switch off anything when you fly on a private jet, so I'll say it's BS. I wonder what the real reason is.
    12-20-12 12:31 AM
    Well, you don't need to switch off anything when you fly on a private jet, so I'll say it's BS. I wonder what the real reason is.
    Widespread taboo against inflight relationship status updating.
    seamonky likes this.
    12-20-12 01:18 AM
    probably a lolunion thing.
    12-20-12 02:38 AM
    I've been on flights where they're happy for you to at least use WiFi - given they provide a chargable service...

I think initially it was precautionary - these days, I suspect that there's precious little threat from normal domestic devices on flights.
    12-20-12 03:28 AM
    According to the FCC you should, but if it's your own jet it's up to you. Anyway there's a lot of info on wikipedia here Mobile phones on aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It could also be that the airlines want the $25 a minute or whatever it is from those seat back phones.
    12-20-12 03:30 AM
    Just an NPR story on this issue this morning. Senator McCaskill (sp) has asked FAA to do more or will introduce legislation. I just don't want cellphones all around me yakking!!!!
    12-20-12 08:19 AM
    The "Airplane Mode" is basically designed or, let say, included as optional function for us to be able to use our tablet (or any electronic devices having similar functional mode) when onboard an aircraft having "No Electronic Devices On" policy and regulation... regardless the "electromagnetic interference" or "emission" is true or not... no other specific purposes... and if it somehow let us shortcut some functions by just activating it, such as turning off bluetooth, wifi and GSM functions at the same, it is purely part of its function... but again, its main purpose is for us (the users), to be legally allowed to use our electronic device when such policy and regulation exist...
    12-20-12 10:25 AM
    People should not be allowed to use phones when on planes, i have no issues with emails and texts but i do not want to have to listen to someone describing every detail of their life during long haul flights.

keep up the ban, may we travel in peace
    12-20-12 10:36 AM
    When you turn on the airplane mode, you can fly.
    12-20-12 10:59 AM
    research has shown this has no effect on plane navigation/operation etc,,, planes are built to withstand electronic interference,,, i'd be more inclined to think it's more of a security precaution...
    I was sitting by a pilot one a flight once and he was candid. He said the planes typically didn't get affected that much by interference (though he did recount a story where it happened to him due to too many devices), but said the bigger issue was security and safety. A lot of accidents will happen during take off and landing and they want people to be quick to hear emergency instructions instead of paying attention to their devices or listening to music.
    jamesbondOO7 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    12-20-12 11:03 AM
    People should not be allowed to use phones when on planes, i have no issues with emails and texts but i do not want to have to listen to someone describing every detail of their life during long haul flights.
    I'd add the morons who crank their music so loud four rows around them can hear to that list. And the dummies who play movies and video games without headphones at all.

Airports and flights really are where you see the inconsiderate side of humanity
    12-20-12 11:04 AM
    That's right, depending on option settings the device will sprout wings or rotors and transport you aloft.
    12-20-12 11:06 AM
    Some, ahem, pharmaceuticals can help with the takeoff and landing!
    djenkins6 and castoridae like this.
    12-20-12 12:01 PM
    Using it on an airplane. Have a nice day.
    12-20-12 12:31 PM
    There are a couple of reasons for the use of Airplane mode.
    1. It makes people feel more comfortable thinking the airline is doing everything they can to make the flight as safe as possible. The same as all of the security charades you go through to get on the plane in the first place.
    2. As RubberChicken76 said above, the flight crew would like to be able to get your attention immediately during take off and landing.

As far as I know there has never been a flight malfunction that can be directly linked back to the use of a consumer electronic device on the plane.

The reason Airplane mode is included as an option on devices is so the flight crew can tell you to use "Airplane mode" rather than having to tell you to turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM, GPS and any other radio that may come along in the future. Although most times they just ask that you turn off all electronic devices.
    12-20-12 03:38 PM
45 12