I'm retiring soon and am looking to break away from Rogers for wifi, cell and land phone.
    Part one of this project is to look into setting up wifi, where you buy your own router.
    I have no idea what this involves except buying a router and setting up with a cheaper provider.
    I use my playbook almost exclusively, and own a very old PC with windows explorer.

I would really appreciate any ideas, brands, reliable companies, etc
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    01-24-14 07:14 AM
    TekSavvy - Residential is one to consider, I don't live in TO but I hear a lot of good things about them. They use Rogers backbone for internet but cost less.
    01-24-14 07:21 AM
    TekSavvy - Residential is one to consider, I don't live in TO but I hear a lot of good things about them. They use Rogers backbone for internet but cost less.
    I subscribe to Teksavvy and have for years. Their rates are good. Customer service is borderline and the consistancy varies from good to great depending on the service you select. I have no complaints except for an unexplained 10 day outage a few years back. Definitely check them out as they are a good alternative to the others. Once upon a time you could buy a starter kit from Canada Computers for $100 which included your modem and a $50 service credit. I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 07:27 AM
    Techsavvy and Start Communications are the more popular ones. I've been with Start for a while and have had no issues. You can get hooked up for DSL or Cable with either of those companies. Cable costs a little more, but if you don't have a home phone (like myself) you save on the "dry loop" fees associated with DSL. Many third party ISPs allow you to provide your own modem. If you only need lower end speeds, you can save money and buy a last gen modem. For something that's a little more future-proof, the modems are about $100.

If you aren't too savvy on setting up computer stuff, my suggestion would be to buy a modem directly from the internet provider you select. It'll be a little more expensive that way, but it'll come pre-set up and ready to go.
    01-24-14 07:27 AM
    Rogers can be very expensive for Internet and Phone service.

Two alternatives would be Teksavvy TekSavvy - Residential and Start Comunications start.ca | Start Communications - High-Speed Internet but there others, like Acanac Acanac High Speed Internet. Low Cost DSL and VOIP Service or Beanfield Internet, Phone & IPTV Services | beanfield Metroconnect (if you live in one of the condos downtown)

Before buying a router/modem, you really should know who you will be using as a provider as they do not all support the same hardware. You should check those websites to see if some/all/none offer service in your area. I believe 3 out of the four I listed (the exception being Beanfield) are much cheaper than Rogers. Some of them also offer TV service/Phone service as well.

TL;DR - Find a provider, find the plan, find the hardware.
    01-24-14 07:28 AM
    Teksavvy uses infrastructure from Videotron, Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Shaw, and Telus.
    01-24-14 07:45 AM
    I subscribe to Teksavvy and have for years. Their rates are good. Customer service is borderline and the consistancy varies from good to great depending on the service you select. I have no complaints except for an unexplained 10 day outage a few years back. Definitely check them out as they are a good alternative to the others. Once upon a time you could buy a starter kit from Canada Computers for $100 which included your modem and a $50 service credit. I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Many thanks to all of you for the quick response. My question was going to be 'can I buy my modem completely separate from the provider, but you answered this as well.
    This is a great start!
    I'll check into all of these links and see what others here may have for me to check!
    BTW: not in a condo; I'm in a small house in a downtown neighbourhood.
    01-24-14 08:11 AM
    Many thanks to you both. My question was going to be 'can I buy my modem completely separate from the provider, but you answered this as well.
    This is a great start!
    I'll check into both of these links and see what others here may have for me to check!
    Good luck in your search and keep us posted with your decision!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 08:14 AM
    If you need modem suggest Motorola Surfboard 6121 or later model. A smal, router which does surprisingly well in giving you coverage is the ZyXel MWR102 (about $25). As I type this I am about 15 meters away through two walls and metal kitchen cabinets and still getting -74 dB @65 Mbps.s on the 2.4 band. . But if you expect full house coverage you may need a stronger router. Do you have a router now?
    01-25-14 11:01 AM
    I'm with TekSavvy, switched from Bell and couldn't been happier. Speed is always the same and there isn't any hidden fees on my bill each month. I have dsl, not cable, but I assume they would be the same for cable.
    Last edited by rkonert; 01-31-14 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Auto-incorrect
    01-25-14 11:12 AM
    I use Acanac. You sign up and buy a modem from Acanac, buy a cheap wireless router from FutureShop or something, plug it all in .

Oh, be sure to secure your router. This is easy to do nowadays. Just look at the manufacture's site for support.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 11:48 AM
    One thing to keep in mind when cutting the land line is if you have a monitored burglar alarm, they tend to require a land line to dial out during an alarm situation.
    01-25-14 12:12 PM
    Yeah taksavvy is actually really good n cheap!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 12:15 PM
    This may sound absurd but this is true... the cheapest wifi set-up wherever you are, is when you are near to a friendly neighborhood that doesn't use password to access his wifi-router which open 24/7...

Other than that, I believe and as other suggested, you need to spend a little more cost...

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 10:44 PM
    teksavvy for the internet.
    you purchase the modem from TekSavvy.
    purchase a firewall/router/wifiAP from tigerdirect.

Get your home phone from fongo.

What cellphone do you have?
    The cellphone is a little trickier to sort out but I would be glad to help.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-25-14 11:29 PM
    teksavvy for the internet.
    you purchase the modem from TekSavvy.
    purchase a firewall/router/wifiAP from tigerdirect.

Get your home phone from fongo.

What cellphone do you have?
    The cellphone is a little trickier to sort out but I would be glad to help.
    Cellphone could be with Fongo, too. Get a data-only plan/add-on for your phone (I use 100 mb/$10 on Telus prepaid) and use Fongo for free unlimited CAD calls. Texting is an extra $2/mth.

Also adding my vote for Teksavvy.
    01-26-14 07:11 AM
    Cellphone could be with Fongo, too. Get a data-only plan/add-on for your phone (I use 100 mb/$10 on Telus prepaid) and use Fongo for free unlimited CAD calls. Texting is an extra $2/mth.

I was thinking that too but suspected OP might have a Blackberry phone which they don't support.
    I guess one could get an unlock key at FreePhoneLine.ca and use a sip client.
    OP if you live alone you could skip the home phone and just use your cell.
    A cool trick for people that live in a controlled access building and use their cell phone as the buzzer number is they can "buzz" themselves in if they lose the key to the common areas of the building.
    castoridae likes this.
    01-26-14 08:46 AM
    Here is what my family paid before and after getting wise.

before
    internet $55.79
    phone $40.31
    cable $121.29
    cell phone 1 $10.00
    cell phone 2 $47.00
    $274.39
    after
    internet $48.95
    xbox $4.16
    tunnelbear $4.16
    netflix $8.00
    phone $3.49
    cell phone 1 $11.00
    cell phone 2 $31.00
    $110.76
    savings $163.63
    castoridae likes this.
    01-26-14 09:40 AM
    While I can't recommend any ISP's in Canada

I can HIGHLY recommend RETIREMENT!!!!!
    01-26-14 06:24 PM

Currently for my cell phone, I've got a DORO from Rogers - they first told me trade in would be no charge and now want over $150.00 in 'connection' chgs, etc, etc. This for trading in the 3 yr old DORO, for a new one!.
    I actually use the land phone more and the cell for emergencies, or when meeting up w/friends lije: "how far away are you now?" etc.
    01-26-14 07:40 PM
    If you need modem suggest Motorola Surfboard 6121 or later model. A smal, router which does surprisingly well in giving you coverage is the ZyXel MWR102 (about $25). As I type this I am about 15 meters away through two walls and metal kitchen cabinets and still getting -74 dB @65 Mbps.s on the 2.4 band. . But if you expect full house coverage you may need a stronger router. Do you have a router now?
    I've got the router that Rogers delivered for the wifi. My plan is to get set up separately and then dump all 4 services I have with them: cable tv, land phone connection, wifi and cell phone
    01-26-14 07:45 PM
    I've got the router that Rogers delivered for the wifi. My plan is to get set up separately and then dump all 4 services I have with them: cable tv, land phone connection, wifi and cell phone
    BTW, Rogers apparently has a package now which is 20 Mbit, 300 gig in bandwidth for $45 a month. This is a hit-and-miss deal. I still prefer 3rd parties. Personally, I like the separate wifi router setup. If anything ever needs changing in the future, cheaper to switch out only the part needed. Just my thought. I find that separate wifi routers will give you better range than the ones which are built into the DSL/CABLE router. There are LOTs of options these days to disconnect from a number of services. In Toronto, you can buy a TV antenna and get 12+ HD channels for free (legal). I saw an article the other day suggesting that a respectable percentage of cable subscribers are thinking of cutting the cord. Just relying on internet and OTA TV (antenna) for their media content.
    DrBoomBotz and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-27-14 08:48 AM
    BTW, Rogers apparently has a package now which is 20 Mbit, 300 gig in bandwidth for $45 a month. This is a hit-and-miss deal. I still prefer 3rd parties. Personally, I like the separate wifi router setup. If anything ever needs changing in the future, cheaper to switch out only the part needed. Just my thought. I find that separate wifi routers will give you better range than the ones which are built into the DSL/CABLE router. There are LOTs of options these days to disconnect from a number of services. In Toronto, you can buy a TV antenna and get 12+ HD channels for free (legal). I saw an article the other day suggesting that a respectable percentage of cable subscribers are thinking of cutting the cord. Just relying on internet and OTA TV (antenna) for their media content.
    Yeah, I want to completely cut away from them altogether. It may be politic to do this one service at a time.
    I have 5 tvs - 2 are flat planel. One is connected to their 'VIP' service box, the others have that special box to convert from analog (straight cable) to digital. Two of these are tube tvs.
    I'm wondering how I get them all connected when I go with a other service?
    01-29-14 06:55 AM

For cell phone I have a doro and an older motorola both from rogers - can either of these be unlocked or do I need a different cell phone?
    01-29-14 07:29 AM
    Yeah, I want to completely cut away from them altogether. It may be politic to do this one service at a time.
    I have 5 tvs - 2 are flat planel. One is connected to their 'VIP' service box, the others have that special box to convert from analog (straight cable) to digital. Two of these are tube tvs.
    I'm wondering how I get them all connected when I go with a other service?
    How you connect the panels depends on what service you go with and the capabilities of the tv's
    If you have 5 tvs then I suspect you really like tv. Am I to understand that you currently have Coax cable running all around your house to each of your 5 tv's?

Changing 1 service at a time means that you will need an alternative "last mile" delivery system for your new digital services. The only real options for this in Toronto are phone line and cable. Teksavvy can provide service over your Bell phone line even if you are not currently a bell customer its call a "dry loop". You can check to see if it is available in your postal code here TekSavvy - DSL.

When I moved away from Rogers in 2012 I got DSL from Bell. Their customer service is actually slightly worse than Rogers so please keep that in mind.
    01-29-14 07:49 AM
77 123 ...