I was doing some thinking. I showed my PB to a friend because he wanted a tablet, he said there was not enough apps in appworld.

This got me thinking that RIM should become the platform that cares about developers. RIM has the android app player in development and it has been for awhile. Anyone who has done any kind of virtualstuff knows the higher cost of memory usage and the higher demand on CPU resources not to mention you only achieve about 60% usage in any case.

I came up with a solution:

pay developers to develop on your platform!

Math says time invested with the virtual bit is going to cost (in rough terms):

5 developers at 40 hours a week at 50$ an hour (and this even seems low for a developer) equals 200 man hours a week at 10,000$. In a month thats 40k.

Now if you were to pay app developers 1000$ per app, you would even come out ahead with native apps and would have apps for that price. This could also be a tax write off because RIM would not be buying the app, just simply paying as a thank you.

This is a win for PB. At 100k apps the cost is returned. People start to notice the PB as a viable device and they start buying, devs see it as a worthwhile platform to develop on (money gives ambition) and sales go up.

Why not do this? 1mil for 100k apps is a small investment for a company the size of RIM and it is a win win.
    Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-09-11 at 10:53 PM.
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    10-09-11 07:48 PM
    10-09-11 08:07 PM
    The best thing rim could do is to develop the OS to make this device into what they told consumers it would be, making it more attractive to purchase.

Developers wont develop for a device that doesnt sell.
    10-09-11 09:41 PM
    If I read correctly, 100 000 apps for 100 000$... well, that's 1$ an app. At a 1000$ an app, as suggested, that means 100 000 000$ for 100 000 apps. It would be best to lose a 100$ with every PB sold so they could sell a 1 000 000 PB and then interest developpers.

With the sales going on right now, I think they're doing the right thing. The future will tell us!
    10-09-11 09:53 PM
    I think rim should have something that will catch the dev eye and keep them involve working with rim all the way not half way.
    10-09-11 09:56 PM
    Spoil the developers. Make RIM the platform to create for.

Basically, bribe them. BIG time.
    10-09-11 10:06 PM
    Great idea. I do believe in incentive. Except how do you get away with paying the same for a POS app as for a quality app? I think it would just encourage more POS apps, like it did when they gave away a playbook as incentive to create apps. (do they still do that by the way?)

When someone says something dumb like "not enough apps" ask them which apps exactly do they want? And how many do they currently actually USE? Chances are they have no idea, they just know there aren't as many. It's about quality and usefulness, not quantity.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-09-11 at 10:32 PM.
    10-09-11 10:21 PM
    One of the cool apps RIM already developed is the Calculator. You should use it to check your figures. I think something is wrong with your gazintas...
    10-09-11 10:24 PM
    One of the cool apps RIM already developed is the Calculator. You should use it to check your figures. I think something is wrong with your gazintas...
    It was idea excitement lol.

As to how to keep the POS apps out, you could do a running rating. So dev makes app and if app reviews make a 4+ rating for a period of X months, they get a check. This makes devs strive to make good apps to get paid.

Edit:

fixed math lol
    Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-09-11 at 10:36 PM.
    10-09-11 10:31 PM
    It was idea excitement lol.

As to how to keep the POS apps out, you could do a running rating. So dev makes app and if app reviews make a 4+ rating for a period of X months, they get a check. This makes devs strive to make good apps to get paid.
    Ok that works. If app reviews are a good measure of quality - maybe they should base it on units downloaded or sold, I hear devs aren't happy with the review system.
    10-09-11 10:34 PM
    Agreed. Give the best developers a reason to make more.
    10-09-11 10:40 PM
    Ok that works. If app reviews are a good measure of quality - maybe they should base it on units downloaded or sold, I hear devs aren't happy with the review system.
    I agree.

People are more likely to complain when they don't like something, doing by purchases and downloads is a good way.
    10-09-11 10:43 PM
    Edit:

fixed math lol
    Still wrong, at 1K an app, it would be 40 apps a month for 40K, not much! But I understand the logic, to bribe the devs but it didn't work out very well the first time they tried!
    10-09-11 10:50 PM
    Still wrong, at 1K an app, it would be 40 apps a month for 40K, not much! But I understand the logic, to bribe the devs but it didn't work out very well the first time they tried!
    RIM tried this before?

Didn't know... do you know what type of payouts they were doing?
    10-09-11 11:18 PM
    RIM tried this before?

Didn't know... do you know what type of payouts they were doing?
    They gave away a free playbook to any devs who submitted apps to app world prior to the launch.
    fzancanaro likes this.
    10-09-11 11:23 PM
    Great idea. I do believe in incentive. Except how do you get away with paying the same for a POS app as for a quality app? I think it would just encourage more POS apps, like it did when they gave away a playbook as incentive to create apps. (do they still do that by the way?)
    Gee, thanks BJ. Is my app worth $1,000 or is it a POS? If RIM didn't offer the "free" playbook, there would have been zero apps at launch. Some of this initial crop of apps even have money-making potential. Even with the small current user base, my app has earned more than the $1000 that the OP suggested and RIM's 30% has allowed them to recoup the cost of the "gift". This sounds pretty good until you factor in the real cost of labour involved in bring my app to market. I calculate that my hourly rate on this app is about $3.00 an hour.

Frankly, there is no way that offering a mere $1000 will attract a lot of new whiz-bang programmers to the platform, especially if RIM wants us to provide support services. Today I spent an hour with a customer who experienced a problem cause by App World. Labour = $100 for saving a $1.00 sale! Not exactly getting rich, am I?

Most of are in this racket because we love what we do and are hoping that RIM does the correct things to increase the user base. If RIM shows some progress with 2.0 we will be encouraged to stay - if not, the cream of the crop will abandon the platform.
    10-09-11 11:24 PM
    Gee, thanks BJ. Is my app worth $1,000 or is it a POS? If RIM didn't offer the "free" playbook, there would have been zero apps at launch. Some of this initial crop of apps even have money-making potential. Even with the small current user base, my app has earned more than the $1000 that the OP suggested and RIM's 30% has allowed them to recoup the cost of the "gift". This sounds pretty good until you factor in the real cost of labour involved in bring my app to market. I calculate that my hourly rate on this app is about $3.00 an hour.
    No sir - quality useful app.

I did not know that RIM got a take of the developers sales, the place to start might be for them to cut THAAT nonsense immediately!
    Devs are contributing to their success and they have the nerve to snatch a cut of the take on top of it??
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-09-11 at 11:42 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-09-11 11:39 PM
    They gave away a free playbook to any devs who submitted apps to app world prior to the launch.
    Got ya.

Frankly, there is no way that offering a mere $1000 will attract a lot of new whiz-bang programmers to the platform, especially if RIM wants us to provide support services. Today I spent an hour with a customer who experienced a problem cause by App World. Labour = $100 for saving a $1.00 sale! Not exactly getting rich, am I?

Most of are in this racket because we love what we do and are hoping that RIM does the correct things to increase the user base. If RIM shows some progress with 2.0 we will be encouraged to stay - if not, the cream of the crop will abandon the platform.
    Good perspective.

I do agree... I think some good cash should be spent... no need for RIM to be bashful. SPOIL THE DEVELOPERS! RIM has nothing to lose. Look at the money as an investment.

It will pay off. I think if they give major bounties (to start, at least), they'll retain some good developers. Be extra nice to BB-exclusive developers.

Then the domino effect will start. When Chipotle sees that Qdoba has a BB port, Chipotle will keep up.

I ain't a business expert, but I think that if RIM spends in this one area, RIM will reap great rewards.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-09-11 11:42 PM
    No sir - quality useful app.

I did not know that RIM got a take of the developers sales, the place to start might be for them to cut THAAT nonsense immediately!
    Devs are contributing to their success and they have the nerve to snatch a cut of the take on top of it??
    I agree... at least for now. That alone is a big concession that the other platforms don't do.
    10-09-11 11:43 PM
    Well what someone could also do (another though) is make a program that can take the source of X package and make it run on all the platforms that have a Linux base. QNX is based on Linux as well as Android and WebOS. The only real difference is the way the app uses the hardware it is run on. Of course there are platform specific tools but the thing is that those tools only point to the same outcome. So if aprogram (or web app) can be made to take the code and edit in real time and make the changes needed to make X program run on X platform, then we have a winner.

The problem Rim is having with the Android player is a prime example. Rim can make the software run if it has no requirement for advanced hardware features. Rim has no way to change apps code so they are stuck with what they get. Not saying there is any reason why Qnx can't do any of the thing, hardware layer is the issue and is nothing but places in code that all accomplish the same function on all these devices if changed.
    Last edited by corbintechboy; 10-10-11 at 12:02 AM.
    10-09-11 11:56 PM
    Keep up the excellent work Buzz. It is applications such as those created by yourself that will demonstrate the functionality and utility of the BlackBerry PlayBook. As time permits I will be write a review for the applications, paid or free of charge, I use on a regular basis.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-10-11 01:47 AM
    There was an article published recently which indicated BlackBerry PlayBook developers earn the most return on the purchase price compared to other platforms. I have no idea regarding the accuracy of the study but you must realize Research In Motion provides the web storefront and alleged approval process that is not without its own costs. All platforms charge a fee for each application sold with the exception being free applications. As the user base expands the earnings-to-development effort increases with each purchase. For free of purchase price applications the developers might have as their motivation a variety of factors other than monetary gain.

I have a few ideas for applications but need the time to see them to fruition. I respect those developers whom have already delivered top-drawer applications for this tablet despite the somewhat limited tools available.
    10-10-11 01:57 AM
    I've thought about this for awhile as I have waited for many of the US media Apps I use on iPad (USA Today, CNBC, WSJ etc)

While I agree larger sales will mean a larger user base both iPad and Android tablets started with no sales and everyone was tripping all over themselves to get something out. Yes even the same ebook rush occurred on AppStore.

So I have to wonder, are the DEV tools that hideous? Is the process to become a DEV that difficult. I realize not having the native SDK was a huge reason and it seems with the beta that some good Apps are trickling out now (Rueters Insider, QFolio, GrouponHD etc)

What I think RIM should do is change the standard incentive. They have never had a huge App market so drop or change the cut they take. Instead of the usual 70/30 split do 90/10 or have different tiers based on what the Apps can leverage in the AppWorld.

If RIM can get the top 100 Apps out (don't really care about games but understand many do) they'd be in a better place along with OS 2.0 and email / PIM
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-10-11 05:43 AM
    I agree with RIM taking less of a cut even if it's only for the first year or whatever. What also will attract more sales is when you see a commercial or see on a website "download our app for your iphone/ipad and android phone/tablet" ..........blackerry? nope not listed.
    10-10-11 07:00 AM
    I've said for months that for the "must have" apps RIM could offer to cover the developers cost then take a larger percentage of the sale from AppWorld to recoup their investment. That way RIM is taking the risk initially. If this method works and the cost is ultimately covered it might look like less of a risk to other developers to invest their own money. Naturally, this would only work for paid apps and would do nothing to attract the like of FlipBoard that give the app away for free.
    10-10-11 07:36 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD