Not having a way of using a BT microphone to record voice notes seems a mis-step. Same with lack of ability to use Comwave via BT. If Skype or something similar is to be implemented in next version, then BT mike will need to work.
    My Samsung WEP870 works fine as a BT microphone.
    01-09-13 08:03 PM
    Seems that one is discontinued although it may still be available.
    01-09-13 08:44 PM
    Although I wish the file transfer protocol was enabled, this is what BT is for on the PB
    Attached Thumbnails What is the point in the Playbook having bluetooth?-img_00000071.jpg  
    01-09-13 09:12 PM
    paired playbook with my car via Bluetooth, so that i can listen to music while driving, works great. here's my question to OP, what will happen if playbook doesn't have Bluetooth?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-10-13 12:08 AM
    here's my question to OP, what will happen if playbook doesn't have Bluetooth?
    The sales of Playbooks would be lower than they are now. And that is low.
    01-10-13 06:42 AM
    How else would you pair it to the OEM keyboard case?
    01-10-13 07:21 AM
    Although this is included in Bridge, I find the remote function indispensable. I make a lot of video and PPT presentations and using my phone to control the proceedings is a God send. All I need is my PB, my micro projector and my phone and I'm ready to go.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-10-13 11:54 AM
    I use my bose soundlink and Motorola bluetooth headphones with it. And bridge. Why would you say "except for bridge what's the reason". Bridge alone is a great reason.
    01-10-13 12:34 PM
    As mentioned before BB music gateway rocks with the PB, couple that with Pacemaker and you've got it made!
    peteygrizz and sushistew like this.
    01-10-13 12:43 PM
    ...... I couldn't imagine trying to actually transfer files over BT. It's too slow. Best to use WiFi for file transfer anyway...wait, you didn't want to hear that...

So true... I enabled BT file sharing between a couple of newer laptops at work and gave up as it took forever to transfer a few pics & document folders.

However, BT for the Playbook works for audio devices and the BT keyboard extremely well
    I use BT all the time to do quick file & image transfers from and to my GNote 2. Several images or files in a couple of seconds, XP & Win7. Wish I could include the PB in this, it's very convenient. These devices are all on the same WIFI network and I also use WIFI for file & image transfer, BT is just another convenient option.
    Last edited by note2; 01-10-13 at 02:12 PM.
    01-10-13 01:23 PM
    I couldn't imagine trying to actually transfer files over BT. It's too slow. Best to use WiFi for file transfer anyway...wait, you didn't want to hear that...
    Probably best to use USB for file transfer. It's max throughput is significantly higher than best case scenario with 802.11n - and best case scenario for WiFi is implausible in most domestic locations.
    01-10-13 01:35 PM
    Can you actually try to transfer a video file from a phone ( I have a nokia phone) to PB? I tried to do it yesterday, but I couldn't.
    01-10-13 01:49 PM
    You can also transfer files by installing the DavDrive app from AppWorld and using a WebDAV client on the other device.
    01-10-13 02:04 PM
    Can you actually try to transfer a video file from a phone ( I have a nokia phone) to PB? I tried to do it yesterday, but I couldn't.
    You may well be able to do so, depending on what sort of network drives your Nokia supports - bearing in mind that your PlayBook does WiFi file sharing, effectively, using Samba / Windows file sharing.

That said, and I'll keep repeating it - best case scenario for WiFi throughput is significantly lower than USB throughput, so larger files (like video files) will transfer much quicker using USB (assuming USB 2.0 connectivity).
    01-10-13 02:15 PM
    Probably best to use USB for file transfer. It's max throughput is significantly higher than best case scenario with 802.11n - and best case scenario for WiFi is implausible in most domestic locations.
    USB for file transfer? Seriously? Maybe if you're transferring huge files or a huge number of very large images or videos.
    01-10-13 02:16 PM
    You may well be able to do so, depending on what sort of network drives your Nokia supports - bearing in mind that your PlayBook does WiFi file sharing, effectively, using Samba / Windows file sharing.
    The main problem with Wi-fi file sharing is that you need an infrastructure Wi-fi network... most phones create only ad-hoc Wi-fi hotspots which the PB cannot connect to. BT file transfers are point-to-point without needing an intervening network. BT file transfers are already possible by bridging between a PB and Blackberry phone but not for other models.

Nokia Symbian phones and most Android phones support USB Host/OTG so you can hook up flash drives, card readers and external hard disks directly if they support the USB Mass Storage protocol. The PB doesn't support reading USB MSC partitions or provide one of its own. The PB can't act as USB Host without rooting either so direct USB connections between devices are out of the question.

If I'm out in the field with my non-BB phone and PB, I can't transfer data between them without a computer or an intervening Wi-fi network. I guess RIM's initial plan was for the PB to be a companion to a Blackberry, much like what Palm tried to do with the Folio. That was feasible two years ago but now it's a tiny market segment. A tablet should be a standalone device.
    01-10-13 03:06 PM
    Yes, you and one other when we discussed that in another thread have a BT mike working. What is puzzling, is why a couple of BT headsets DO work when it seems most do not and the PB doesn't seem to be configured to work with the mike.
    01-10-13 03:15 PM
    USB for file transfer? Seriously? Maybe if you're transferring huge files or a huge number of very large images or videos.
    When I'm transferring video onto my PlayBook, it tends to be a few gig at a time. That's MUCH faster to do using USB than WiFi.

Theoritcal max throughput on 802.11n is one thing, but most implementations get nowhere near maximum - in fact at most WiFi networks I connect to, I'm lucky if I get less than half the theoritcal max - and theoritcal 802.11n max is about 2/3 of USB 2.0 max. So normal situations, WiFi throughput is a fraction of USB 2.0 throughput.
    01-10-13 03:16 PM
    The main problem with Wi-fi file sharing is that you need an infrastructure Wi-fi network... most phones create only ad-hoc Wi-fi hotspots which the PB cannot connect to. BT file transfers are point-to-point without needing an intervening network. BT file transfers are already possible by bridging between a PB and Blackberry phone but not for other models.

Nokia Symbian phones and most Android phones support USB Host/OTG so you can hook up flash drives, card readers and external hard disks directly if they support the USB Mass Storage protocol. The PB doesn't support reading USB MSC partitions or provide one of its own. The PB can't act as USB Host without rooting either so direct USB connections between devices are out of the question.

If I'm out in the field with my non-BB phone and PB, I can't transfer data between them without a computer or an intervening Wi-fi network. I guess RIM's initial plan was for the PB to be a companion to a Blackberry, much like what Palm tried to do with the Folio. That was feasible two years ago but now it's a tiny market segment. A tablet should be a standalone device.
    I think we're at cross-purposes. If the PlayBook and Nokia handset are on the same WiFi network, then (at least for my Nokia N8) I'm fairly sure you'll probably be able to connect to the PlayBook's WiFi file sharing (so Samba / Windows file sharing) just like a PC could.
    01-10-13 03:18 PM
    I asked a similar question when I first got my playbook. I wanted to send pictures from my android or N8 to be stored on playbook (playbook camera not good enough for close up shots).

I did not find an answer that would work for me.
    01-10-13 04:27 PM
    I think we're at cross-purposes. If the PlayBook and Nokia handset are on the same WiFi network, then (at least for my Nokia N8) I'm fairly sure you'll probably be able to connect to the PlayBook's WiFi file sharing (so Samba / Windows file sharing) just like a PC could.
    You could, just use MyExplorer or any SMB-capable file browser on the Nokia handset to see the Playbook's file share. The problem is that you need an intervening intrastructure network, you can't do it point-to-point using an adhoc Wifi network or Bluetooth file transfers. It's not a solution in the field unless you always carry a pocket router in your pocket

BB10 supposedly has full BT file transfer capability so you can directly send files between devices.
    01-10-13 07:05 PM
    I like Blackberry Hub
    01-10-13 10:00 PM
    It's a nice to have feature, it's better to have it then not eh. I personally won't use it, but you never know eh
    01-10-13 10:19 PM
    What is the point in the Playbook even having bluetooth? (Apart from BlackBerry bridge obviously) I've only been a Playbook owner for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed that you can't send or receive files from (or to) your Playbook which is ridiculous. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

(Please don't bother replying if you're going to tell me that I can plug it into my computer and transfer files that way. I shouldn't have to.)

how about gaming on the playbook while BT to bb gateway and have surround sound for your gaming experience. i love it.

oh and bridge with my bb torch, also amazing feature.

oh and bt to my car stereo

oh and bt should be on everything
    01-10-13 11:11 PM
    Because:

/end thread
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    01-11-13 12:28 AM
52 123