CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default WHAT? PB OS 2.0 Video Store a "Beta"?

Today was the first time I'd had the chance to try out the new Video Store, powered by Rovi, since the 2.0 upgrade...I was pretty excited to download some video for a long flight I have tomorrow, BUT it kept throwing an error that it could not contact the licensing server "please retry".

So, I called the support line and the first tech support guy said that they were just having some problems with getting the licensing with the Producers straightened out for some TV programs and that they were working on that and it'd be fixed in a future update. He assured me, however, that Movies worked fine.

So, I tried to download a couple of movies -- SAME PROBLEM!

So, back to tech support and my 2nd tech support guy said "well, the video store is really a Beta release and we're still working on working out the bugs and getting all the features that should be there". I pointed out that this was not a case of a missing feature, this was a case of a non-functional feature. ...and, furthermore, since when was the user community informed that this was a "Beta" release??? I don't see any reference to that in the Rovi press release about it...Adam's first look video and write up certainly doesn't say anything about "Beta".

For the most part, I've been very happy with OS 2.0 (altho I wish the C&P capability worked consistently between apps -- was expecting that to be fixed on this go around), but, c'mon...you owe it to your users to inform them if you are deploying "Beta" software to them!

I've resisted the siren song of the Bb/PB "haters" thus far, but this almost pushes me beyond the pale!

CrackBerry Addict

My biggest gripe with the video service is why didn't they offer an option for subscriptions. I certainly don't see the video store as a robust netflix competitor, but I would like to just be able to stream the movies and tv shows.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My gripe is that Rovi is a service that is only available in the US, if you're outside the US, you're out of luck. I was particularly ticked to find out that I could register at the BlackBerry Video Store website and enter my credit card information, but I can't view their catalog of movies and I can't buy or rent a movie because I live in Canada.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I can totally believe they're still trying to iron things out. It was apparent in my dealings with customer service regarding whether purchased videos could also be played on a computer. I was told by various support people 1)Yes, they can be accessed at Blackberry.RoxioNow.com, 2) Yes, just log on to CinemaNow.com, and 3) No, it doesn't look like that's possible. Since answers number 1 and 2 didn't work for me (and none of them really seemed sure of their info when pressed and since my escalated help ticket has not been responded to in a week), I'm inclined to think the correct answer is door number 3....at least for now. Hopefully, that's just one of the features missing from the Beta version.

On the bright side, my television episode downloaded to my Playbook just fine.
    Last edited by Swirlz; 03-01-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

I downloaded a couple movies and it went quick and without issue. Looks good on the PB and the TV.
    I haven't found a way to play the files on anything other then the PB. I am able to transfer the file to PC but thats all. I am transferring one to my other PB now to see if it will play. I would rather not create 2 accounts.
    Edit: As I suspected you can only play the video on the PB it was originally download too. Hopefully the information that prohibits the use on another PB stays with the file and not the PB.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 03-01-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lonedog View Post
    My gripe is that Rovi is a service that is only available in the US, if you're outside the US, you're out of luck. I was particularly ticked to find out that I could register at the BlackBerry Video Store website and enter my credit card information, but I can't view their catalog of movies and I can't buy or rent a movie because I live in Canada.
    Blame the MPAA and the like for this, not RIM ... same reason why Netflix Canada has WAY less titles than Netflix U.S.A. it's hard to secure the cross border rights. Even Apple has items it cannot sell due to licensing issues, for example, try to find a Tool album in the itunes store.

Netflix just lost the rights for thousands of movies the other day, so everyone is being hit by the same issues.

Digital media still has a long way to go before it is readily accessible, well legally anyway.