After having my Playbook since the release date, I finally need to replace it. I really only use it for two things, playing movies and browsing.

I'm looking for a 7" Android tablet that has an HDMI out, and plays .mp4 video files.

Suggestions? I want the best available, no matter the price.
    12-30-13 12:04 AM
    The nexus 7 is currently the best 7" android on the market.
    While it doesn't have built in hdmi support it uses slim port which essentially uses the same connector as the USB port to deliver the hd video and audio to the hdmi port. Works just as well. You just need the slim port to hdmi cable which you can buy online easily.

you could also pick up chrome cast for 35 dollars to be able to stream videos like YouTube Netflix hulu etc from your tablet.
    Android has vlc support so it should have no problems support most video codecs

Posted via CB10 on z10
    m1kr0 and stranger99 like this.
    12-30-13 12:20 AM
    I've been eyeballing the Hisense Sero 7 Pro for a time now, and that model has mini-HDMI out. It's a budget tablet that is comparable to the first-gen Nexus 7.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-30-13 07:19 AM
    Kobo 7 hd

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-30-13 10:07 AM
    I've been eyeballing the Hisense Sero 7 Pro for a time now, and that model has mini-HDMI out. It's a budget tablet that is comparable to the first-gen Nexus 7.
    I have the Sero 7 Pro and it is a great tablet for $129.00, if you can still find it in store. I bought it specifically for the hdmi out (mini not micro like playbook) so you need another cord. It also has expandable memory and works fine with a 64gb sd micro card.

I also have the Chromecast and it doesn't matter about VLC or what the tablet supports as right now only the codecs supported directly by the Chromecast will play. Plex should solve that issue but right now it is only in preview mode for pay service members and they seem to have some issues with it. All Plex users are going to receive the chromecast app eventually, just not now.

I still find the combination a great setup that will only get better. Source code for the Sero was just released and I expect lots of cool things to come out of the xda camp for this device
    Carl Estes and anon(5597702) like this.
    12-30-13 10:20 AM
    Some of the 8" windows 8 tablets have hdmi ports.
    12-30-13 10:33 AM
    I got my son the 32gig version on the sero pro (UK). Seems pretty good. Wish I had one instead of my PB tbh. For UK people they are �120 from ebuyer.com.
    12-30-13 03:53 PM
    The nexus 7 is currently the best 7" android on the market.
    While it doesn't have built in hdmi support it uses slim port which essentially uses the same connector as the USB port to deliver the hd video and audio to the hdmi port. Works just as well. You just need the slim port to hdmi cable which you can buy online easily.

you could also pick up chrome cast for 35 dollars to be able to stream videos like YouTube Netflix hulu etc from your tablet.
    Android has vlc support so it should have no problems support most video codecs

Posted via CB10 on z10
    wouldn't the cable delete the need for chromecast or vice versa???
    12-31-13 10:05 AM
    wouldn't the cable delete the need for chromecast or vice versa???
    With Chromecast once you setup the streaming connection from your tablet to a monitor or TV the streaming goes directly from your router to that device and you can turn your tablet off or do other things with it while the spouse or kids watch the movies. Hooking up a cable certainly allows you to stream through your tablet perhaps things that can't be Chromecast. With KitKat Google is certainly making it easier to interact with other devices just using the tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-31-13 12:49 PM
    The Acer A110 has it...along with a microSD slot.

Out of curiosity if all you are after is video out and browsing why not just install the origami browser and go about your business?

As far as the most elegant solution regardless of the price would be an iPad mini and an Apple TV and using airplay to wireless throw the signal. But you could buy a half dozen playbook for that price...
    edwinsberry likes this.
    12-31-13 01:10 PM
    With Chromecast once you setup the streaming connection from your tablet to a monitor or TV the streaming goes directly from your router to that device and you can turn your tablet off or do other things with it while the spouse or kids watch the movies. Hooking up a cable certainly allows you to stream through your tablet perhaps things that can't be Chromecast. With KitKat Google is certainly making it easier to interact with other devices just using the tablet.

Yeah. Chromecast after the update blocked access to streaming local content. Plex is in the works to fix that. But right now Chromecast only supports a handful of third party video streaming sites such as YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu+. You can find the list of apps officially supported here Chromecast.

Chromecast also allows you to stream your chrome browser tab or the entire screen from Google Chrome on the desktop. That feature is missing on the Mobile Chrome, hopefully they will implement that feature soon. It would be a handy feature to have.
    01-01-14 01:24 PM
    Yeah. Chromecast after the update blocked access to streaming local content. Plex is in the works to fix that. But right now Chromecast only supports a handful of third party video streaming sites such as YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu+. You can find the list of apps officially supported here Chromecast.

Chromecast also allows you to stream your chrome browser tab or the entire screen from Google Chrome on the desktop. That feature is missing on the Mobile Chrome, hopefully they will implement that feature soon. It would be a handy feature to have.
    Still don't understand why Google limited the Chrome cast. When I purchased one I thought I could still play my personal media through my phone or tablet. Thank for the heads up on Plex I'll buy it today.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-01-14 01:45 PM
    Still don't understand why Google limited the Chrome cast. When I purchased one I thought I could still play my personal media through my phone or tablet. Thank for the heads up on Plex I'll buy it today.

Sorry I made a mistake. The Plex client only supports streaming from a Plex server. It doesn't support local media on your device. but local media on your home server. or computer set up as the plex server. It can also stream from shared sources if you have any. Sorry for the misinformation

It's still pretty useful to stream from a local media server to any android/ios device and then towards your big screen tv via chrome cast. The stream service can work locally or remotely (say if you brought your chrome cast over to your friends place. But obviously will incur data charges and streaming quality will be affected.)
    01-01-14 03:30 PM
    Sorry I made a mistake. The Plex client only supports streaming from a Plex server. It doesn't support local media on your device. but local media on your home server. or computer set up as the plex server. It can also stream from shared sources if you have any. Sorry for the misinformation

It's still pretty useful to stream from a local media server to any android/ios device and then towards your big screen tv via chrome cast. The stream service can work locally or remotely (say if you brought your chrome cast over to your friends place. But obviously will incur data charges and streaming quality will be affected.)
    No problem, I purchased it already. It said something about chromecast working with it after a trial period. Does anybody know how long this trial period is going to last?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-01-14 05:33 PM
    If you get the Avia app loaded onto your "Andy" tab, you pay a 2.99 in App purchase, and then you will be able to cast your local media from the Sd card. I am using this on my hisense Sero Pro.

The only thing is that the chromeycasty likes the MPEG4 file in a certain configuration, my earlier conversion for the PB do not play, had to use Handbrake ( a free converter) to convert it to Anroid Tablet config and all was Happy, Happy, Happy!!!!!

c
    Cynycl likes this.
    01-02-14 09:39 AM
    No problem, I purchased it already. It said something about chromecast working with it after a trial period. Does anybody know how long this trial period is going to last?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    If you are a Plex Pass member there is a free app on Google Play,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.plexapp.plex

You will also find other choices to answer your other questions. Android 4.4.2 provides much increased use of chromecast from the tablet but lazy me I havenot gotten around to exploring them.

01-02-14 01:32 PM
    If you are a Plex Pass member there is a free app on Google Play,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.plexapp.plex

You will also find other choices to answer your other questions. Android 4.4.2 provides much increased use of chromecast from the tablet but lazy me I havenot gotten around to exploring them.

Thanks, I may try the Plex pass membership. 4 Bucks a month.

01-03-14 11:29 AM
    Thanks, I may try the Plex pass membership. 4 Bucks a month.

As Carl mentioned, the Avia app will work with a Plex media server running on a PC, but it does not handle on the fly encoding so if not supported by the Chromecast, it will not play. I'm not sure if the Plex Pass with chromecast support service is providing the on the fly encoding or if you are still stuck with the current supported codecs of the Chromecast.

Just seemed funny to me that Plex opted to have the users of their montly subscription act as beta testers for the chromecast support while they work out the bugs and then will release the feature down the road to all users.
    01-03-14 11:48 AM
    As Carl mentioned, the Avia app will work with a Plex media server running on a PC, but it does not handle on the fly encoding so if not supported by the Chromecast, it will not play. I'm not sure if the Plex Pass with chromecast support service is providing the on the fly encoding or if you are still stuck with the current supported codecs of the Chromecast.

Just seemed funny to me that Plex opted to have the users of their montly subscription act as beta testers for the chromecast support while they work out the bugs and then will release the feature down the road to all users.
    Does anyone know why they stopped allowing users to play local media on Chrome cast. I'd buy one for every TV I own if this would play local media.

01-03-14 01:03 PM
    Does anyone know why they stopped allowing users to play local media on Chrome cast. I'd buy one for every TV I own if this would play local media.

Happened on one of the updates. Google said they didn't kill the third party app being used on purpose. Google can update Chromecast a any time.

Streaming of local content to Chromecast can be done with Avia which has mixed reviews.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.mediaplayer

Carl Estes likes this.
    01-03-14 03:26 PM

That stopped with a Chromecast update. Google said they were not trying to kill the third party app which worked on a tablet.. Google updates Chromecast at will. You can Chromecast web material from a laptop. With KitKat (4.4.2) you are supposed to be able to do the same thing from your tablet. Not sure about local media but that is what Plex is for.
    01-03-14 04:41 PM
    Well I went with the 32GB Nexus 7, Chromecast, and Slim Port HDMI. Very happy with it.
    01-11-14 04:38 PM
    After having my Playbook since the release date, I finally need to replace it. I really only use it for two things, playing movies and browsing.

I'm looking for a 7" Android tablet that has an HDMI out, and plays .mp4 video files.

Suggestions? I want the best available, no matter the price.
    When you can find one that can also stream amazon and vudu, and be remote controlled from a phone with world class security (specifically that allows users to set application permissions, and allows encryption of the backup file) that can also sync to iTunes let me know.
    01-12-14 09:37 AM
    Having hdmi out is half of battle, quality of signal is another.

What comes out of the PB is excellent, picture and sound. Can I assume all hdmi out
    are at least it's equal?
    01-02-15 04:10 AM