It has come to my attention that of all the things being said about Android app ports that no one (ok maybe some are but I havent read any thing about it) has mentioned one major future implication.

That is, that once an app (say Instagram) is successfully ported and then installed by the future BBRY user base that said developer (Instagram) would then see the level of demand for their app. Then depending on the numerical demand (app downloads) as well as the expressed demand (user comments) a dev could more easily make a decision on weather or not its "worth it" to develop a native app.

IMO this (Android app ports) will actually end up not only making apps more immediately accessible but also eventually create more native apps for BBRY users.

I'd rather have some version of Instagram then nothing.

I am using Instagram as an example due to recent blog posts of course.
    02-21-13 09:34 PM
    I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Once I download, convert, sign and upload it to the proper thread on crackberry. How would they know how many people are using it?
    02-21-13 09:45 PM
    When I say ported I do mean by the app dev, not by some one else.
    02-21-13 09:50 PM
    What I find funny about all people putting down the Android apps is one of the reasons BB gets knocked is because of lack of apps... yet the very same people who criticize BB for using Android apps......use the vast numbers Android apps as a reason BB is deficient.... seems contridicory to me.... granted the vast majority of ported apps are wanting... but many are not... the same can be said when you go into Google Play... Having an Android Tablet I have to navigate what acutal apps may work on my tablet...... bythe way having 10 tmes more apps as BB in the Android store only means you have at least 10 times more apps that are wanting for quality....
    02-21-13 10:28 PM
    When I say ported I do mean by the app dev, not by some one else.
    Ok that makes sense then.

Posted using Crackberry App on my B@d@ss Z10
    02-21-13 11:57 PM
    it's been said a few times, but many refuse to listen. they see "android" and instead, go ape sh*t.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-22-13 12:43 AM
    they see "android" and instead, go ape sh*t.
    Ape sh*t or app sh*t? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:47 AM
    I see what you did there.. :sly:
    02-22-13 04:11 AM
    1) The proportion of good apps to bad apps is better on Android, and then you have much more good apps.

2) Using an Android port only makes you regret you didn't buy an Android device to enjoy the real thing.

3) It remains to be seen, how many will dedicate a programmer for native BB10 app after having quickly made some bucks by an awkward port. Not sure.
    Relletti likes this.
    02-22-13 08:10 AM
    2) Using an Android port only makes you regret you didn't buy an Android device to enjoy the real thing.
    Just the opposite for me.

The only android app I have kept on my PB is the Sirius app. That's only because the Sirius website has a lot of fluff. It's not easy to navigate on a smaller screen. I still use both because the app is flaky and the web is solid(no buffering). It just depends on whether I'm going to be changing channels often. The Android doesn't have a way to enter a channel manually either.

I tried dolphin browser yesterday and deleted a few hours later.

To be fair I don't know how they run on an Android device. If the ones I have tried are the same on PlayBook and Android then I'm not missing anything.
    02-22-13 08:28 AM
    1) The proportion of good apps to bad apps is better on Android, and then you have much more good apps.
    Tried all apps on both platforms have you?

(Not disagreeing that Android opens up the door to many possibilities not otherwise available, just find ratio comparisons to be silly if you haven't tried everything on both. There's good on both and bad on both).
    Speak for yourself.
    02-22-13 08:31 AM
    Its great to see BB allowing android apps to be even ran on BB10 as it gives us consumers a wide range of apps to choose from, yeah everything else out there we will be able to run at somepoint in time as soon as 4.1 comes to the BB on Z10... we will be smoking the competition as we can run mostly any ported app out there when 4.1 comes to BB10.

So we have the Best Phone in the market, Best Company in the market and all the best apps in the market, what else would any consumer want.

Samsung uses android, sony uses android, apple uses IOS crappy OS system, Blackberry uses QNX built for Blackberry and built for blackberry apps, plus Android Apps....... Awesome.

Soon anything the other companies can run, BB will be able to run as well and BETTER.
    02-22-13 08:38 AM
    I also always read that android apps are ****ty
    I'm reading everynight with kindle sideloaded it works fine.
    02-22-13 09:08 AM

3) It remains to be seen, how many will dedicate a programmer for native BB10 app after having quickly made some bucks by an awkward port. Not sure.
    I totally agree on that second point.
    02-22-13 09:32 AM
    Cool thing about the android player on QNX is that it is sandboxed meaning that android apps can't access your PlayBook meaning no malware infections.
    02-22-13 10:19 AM
    If it's a free app what is the incentive for a dev to go native? Actually the same goes for a paid port, what is the incentive when they are making money already on a port?
    02-22-13 10:26 AM
    Its great to see BB allowing android apps to be even ran on BB10 as it gives us consumers a wide range of apps to choose from, yeah everything else out there we will be able to run at somepoint in time as soon as 4.1 comes to the BB on Z10... we will be smoking the competition as we can run mostly any ported app out there when 4.1 comes to BB10.

So we have the Best Phone in the market, Best Company in the market and all the best apps in the market, what else would any consumer want.

Samsung uses android, sony uses android, apple uses IOS crappy OS system, Blackberry uses QNX built for Blackberry and built for blackberry apps, plus Android Apps....... Awesome.

Soon anything the other companies can run, BB will be able to run as well and BETTER.
    Quite a deluded viewpoint "best phone", "best company"; the definition of a "good" company can vary depending on the individual, but I'd say the most common viewpoints are probably (i) highly profitable (i.e. successful) (ii) ethical (do lots of work with charity, no slave labour involved with production etc.) (iii) good to customers (deliver what they promise, and when they promise it). In all 3 categories, Blackberry fall short. They have practically gone bust in recent times, I have never heard of any sort of charity involvement, I doubt their products are all made in completely humane working conditions (hardly any big company achieves that), and they certainly don't deliver what they say and when (constant delays etc.)

As for "best phone"; there are plenty of other phones with specifications as high as, and indeed higher than, the Z10.

Also your comment about being able to run "almost every Android app" when the 4.1 support comes to BB10; for a start, there is no indication when that will be, by then Android could be on about v6.0 or something. Secondly, there will still not be support for all Android APIs. There are other factors as well, but in short, there will still be plenty of apps which don't work, or don't work well.
    02-22-13 11:02 AM
    If it's a free app what is the incentive for a dev to go native? Actually the same goes for a paid port, what is the incentive when they are making money already on a port?
    More platforms, more users.
    02-22-13 11:03 AM
    Which version of Kindle? 3.2.0.35 was the latest I've been able to get working.
    02-22-13 11:04 AM
    Quite a deluded viewpoint "best phone", "best company"; the definition of a "good" company can vary depending on the individual, but I'd say the most common viewpoints are probably (i) highly profitable (i.e. successful) (ii) ethical (do lots of work with charity, no slave labour involved with production etc.) (iii) good to customers (deliver what they promise, and when they promise it). In all 3 categories, Blackberry fall short. They have practically gone bust in recent times, I have never heard of any sort of charity involvement, I doubt their products are all made in completely humane working conditions (hardly any big company achieves that), and they certainly don't deliver what they say and when (constant delays etc.)

As for "best phone"; there are plenty of other phones with specifications as high as, and indeed higher than, the Z10.
    If one relies an the definition of a good company's measure as being "highly profitable", then one validates the Enrons and Nortels of the world .... until the house of cards collapses.

Not sure when RIM went bust - or even nearly so. Perhaps you could elaborate on that point? They have only started to lose money in the last couple of quarters (and not much of a loss at that) and are sitting on $2.7 billion in cash. Companies near bankruptcy have nearly no equity or cash.

The Ontario Ministry of Labour has not had any reason to investigate RIM in all the years the manufacturing facilities have been in Waterloo. Is there something you know that we don't? RIM has been heavily criticised over the years by investors for not off-shoring its manufacturing of phones and tablets. Are there secret facilities in China or elsewhere you can point to?

RIM and its founders have been generous to a fault in their financial support of the University of Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier University, the Perimeter Institute, the School of Quantum Physics, the School of International Governance and charities in general. RIM may not do what other companies do and milk their contributions for maximum publicity like other companies seem bent on doing now-days, but they have been generous nonetheless.

As to specifications determining what is a "best phone", that is only half the measure. The other half is the operating system and how effective it is in using the resources at hand. QNX and its BB10 form are much more efficient at using resources than iOS or Android which results in a user experience which outperforms that of rivals as witnessed in a significantly large number of benchmark tests performed by tecchies around the world.

As to Android app ports, this is I suppose a necessary evil to keep app centric individuals on board. I personally don't use very many of them but it seems to be a performance measure according to a majority of consumers. RIM has found an inventive way to stay in the game in the face of a small market share and gave its customers access to a greater number of apps than would otherwise be the case. Kudos to RIM for that.

The only reason I'm using RIM as the business name is that the large majority of facilities in Waterloo are still sporting the RIM name on them.
    02-24-13 04:38 AM
    Never had issues yet with side loading apps.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    02-24-13 09:16 AM
    Some Android apps are ****ty, others are good, but sometimes even the good ones break the workflow due to UI inconsistencies.
    02-24-13 09:28 PM
    I have no idea what instagram is. People appear to use it to share photos online on other websites, I don't get what the big deal is, but again, I am ignorant to it's use.
    02-24-13 10:39 PM