Front cam, no back camera necessarily, thats what my handheld is for.
    2 USB ports. Support for Thumbdrives and software to transfer contents to a device. ability to backup device to tablet (just in case...) word/excel/PPT software. multitasking to a degree, not full on like a PC but maybe like ios4, battery life is key so i dont necessarily want alot running...

decent screen and batt life. 10 hrs is the ideal run time, my ipad can pull that off with no problems. this will need a decent battery.

thickness isnt and issue for me, but weight is. the iPad is a tad too slim in that it is difficult to carry in your hand walking etc due to its slimness.

9700/9800/9650 type styling. want it to match my 9650.
    08-29-10 01:43 PM
    the name itself needs to change... i know thats superficial but c'mon the name is too similar to ipad and that was a ridiculous name.

i think the back camera would be quite interesting to have - esp if you consider augmented reality. front cam is a must if you've ever used skype to keep in contact with friends and family but how often have you seen that on a RIM device?!

Needs more ram and multimedia capability like an HDMI port. a portable movie player. hells yeah (i can dream!) :P

but knowing rim it wont go that far and will be more of a productivity tool/companion to the blackberry. you might even see blackberry phones connecting to the tablet to take advantage of the larger screen (e.g redfly implementation)for working on documents on the go since a bigger screen makes editing so much easier. It could possibly allow you to connect any blackberry phone to the tablet to access your bis plan, bbm's, push email but in saying that don't reduce the market to only blackberry users and allow users to purchase separate BIS plans or data via their carrier and maybe even sync their palm/winmo/android phones if need be. its a win-win really!

it needs more than one port unlike the ipad (i.e something universal like HDMI, USB2/3, something to set it apart!)

It needs to multi-task like you can on the blackberry, iOS 4 is a lame attempt at multi-tasking!

to satisfy my multimedia urges, i'd love it to support a lot of codecs and become a DLNA device. Be great to just connect this to the tv, ps3 or wireless transmit this to a pc such as images, video and documents. It'd replace my netbook (which can't do HD video but does everything else)

a flip at the back would be great so that it can support itself.
    the resolution needs to be at least 1024 x 768 and it wouldn't harm anyone if it included a basic GPU and if thats the case, why stop there, how about 1280x720!? but sometimes you need to be reasonable so I'd be happy with 720p output... :P

in summary, give it the multimedia functions that consumers crave as a personal device and appeal it to other smartphone users with its focus on productivity/messaging that RIM is so popular for.

as for styling, less bezel/chrome and more about giving it a bit of a rubbery grip feel (you know that leathery-esque stuff you get on canon cameras and the back of the 9000 :P). holding the iPad to me feels like you need to death grip it just in case that thing slips out of your hands but i guess thats what covers are for but i swear I dont need another bloody cover! just make the screen less prone to scratches.

perhaps im asking too much
    Last edited by zensen; 08-30-10 at 08:28 AM.
    08-30-10 08:03 AM
    A cool feature would be for a BB handheld to be able to be a bluetooth keyboard for the tablet...since onscreen tablet keyboards are too big to type comfortable on (iPad owner...know from experience).

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-30-10 09:22 AM
    I have an ipad and honestly what makes this device worth is apps. Given RIM has the lowest ratio of available applications for its devices, i am seeing this device flop as of right now.
    08-30-10 09:26 AM
    I have an ipad and honestly what makes this device worth is apps. Given RIM has the lowest ratio of available applications for its devices, i am seeing this device flop as of right now.
    That is where the qnx os comes in...should be totally different from BB os and thus *hopefully* a much better app platform...what they need to do is release the sdk at devcon so there are a lot of apps when this thing launches. I too am an iPad owner...but would get this in a heartbeat if it integrates well with a BB

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-30-10 09:42 AM
    That is very true in terms of apps, RIM is slacking big time. Ive been tempted to switch to iPhone for a while, but then I found myself too attached to my Bold (dont ask why but now I wish I could switch to a Moto Razor from time to time).
    Hands down we can all admit that, RIM produces get-it-done type of devices. Theyve tried to take over the casual consumer market, not going so well. This Blackberry Tablet with an OS made by QNX will hopefully take everything that RIM does great in terms of productivity and toss in what the casual consumer would like to kill time with.

"Business and pleasure, unleash the child in you" (What do you think? Good slogan?)
    08-30-10 11:37 AM
    FWIW, Blackpad is a terrible name. Just horrid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 05:01 PM

I see you as having lack of vision, sorry to say, fortunately for most Apple people, Steve Jobs is full of vision so they don't need any he tells them what they want.

All the Apps the iPad has, and I still can't bring myself to like it, a CS rep at work has one and she always talks about it.

Hardware
    *Size: 250mm x 190mm x 15mm ( slightly larger than the iPad)
    *Resolution: 1440 x 900
    *MicroSD Support for SD/SDHC/SDXC
    *Hot Swappable Batteries
    *Front facing 5MP Camera
    *2 USB Ports, and 1 MicroUSB port
    *Convenience Key's on the face, and trackpad navigation for single hand use
    *IR transmitter
    *Daisy Chain support
    *32GB Flash drive

Software

*Windows Fences in the Tablet OS, I see NO need for them on my desktop but I could see using them on a tablet.
    Stardock.com - Your Edge In Software
    *Customizable Keyboard ALA Optimus Maximus keyboard
    *Ability to use as additional Monitor on a PC/Notebook
    *Software Controls for daisy Chaining Units together like Serious Gaming With Thinking Toys | FUTURE-MAKING SERIOUS GAMES
    *Wireless Sync with Multiple sources, ( I want to Sync Files from my Work PC to the Tablet, and Files from my Home PC to my tablet, but not my Home PC to my Work PC like iTunes forces, as well as Wireless sync with my BB)
    * Native Office application support
    * Robust Contact Manager
    * Email handing features, such as /Sorting/Filing/flagging
    * Video Communication tools ( BBM add on?)

If that Tablet Came with that, I don't see the NEED for me to have a bunch of apps, but I can see some apps I would want made to take advantage of the feature sets such as:

Universal Remote Control App ( IR transmitter hardware )
    Multi player Games utilizing Daisy chain support ( think RISK via 4 or 5 tablets linked)
    RSS Readers that load inside of "Fences"
    really Any app that can load inside a Fence that streams data to you.

I really hope that RIM doesn't but I am sure they will go the way of Apple with Entire screen swiping, I HATE that about the large screen devices, I want to see live "widgets" feeding me data, I don't want to load an app to see my stock quotes I want them live, that maybe I have to scroll through them but while doing so I'm still seeing maybe the live email feeding in and my IM client, but not necessarily as Windows, but just live feeds, that I open to interact with further.
    08-30-10 05:04 PM
    I too would like top see a tablet device have a few usb ports or a few micro-usb ports for connectivity on it; I would say both a front and rear facing camera, that way u can easily take pics of whatever; a very generous amount of on board/built in storage space so that u dont have to worry about running out of space for pics, videos, music, etc etc; a high quality camera with like i said, both front and rear facing cameras or camera lenses w flash on both sides, a more than adequate supply of RAM(at least 5 gigs ram minimum), a fast and powerful processor(like around 1.5-2ghz processor speed give or take) and either some sort of trackpad or trackball; but also I would want something that is not overly big size wise, it would have to be something small enough to easily carry with ya to wherever....this is my ideal type of tablet...
    09-20-10 12:20 AM
    The problem with a QNX tablet and Blackberry OS phone is that now you have two application platforms to build for, where the Iphone, iPod Touch, and iPad are all running the same OS. So if they plan to get developers on for the QNX, then they are going to have to announce that the next Blackberry OS will be the same OS as what the tablet has or there will be minimal buy in from developers. We're already seeing apps being dropped in favor of other platforms (Yahoo fantasy football as an example). The problem I see if they announce this is who will keep developing Blackberry OS apps, and will that dead end all existing phones? I think that RIM is painting itself into a corner quickly with the OS/App dilemma.
    09-20-10 06:49 AM
    I'm no guru in this department, but it seems to me that the QNX OS will be very flexible in what it recognizes. It's possible they could be able to program it to recognize current BB apps and run other aps as well. Maybe?
    09-20-10 11:12 AM
    I'm no guru in this department, but it seems to me that the QNX OS will be very flexible in what it recognizes. It's possible they could be able to program it to recognize current BB apps and run other aps as well. Maybe?
    This is probably very possible. The software powers Cisco's biggest router, and BMW's infotainment systems, so an API to support legacy BB applications may be possible, but again I think Developers will want to write Apps that unleash what QNX can do, not right the tiny little Blackberry OS limited apps that will run on a Blackpad.
    09-20-10 12:19 PM
    Hi guys, first time poster here

I am a less than 2 years BlackBerry user, but kept buying handsets just to try how they feel (got Bold 9000, 9700, Curve 8520, Pearl Flip 8220, Storm 9500 and 9550).

I am currently using work-supplied iPad, and told my boss I will use it until BlackBerry tablet is released.

My current problem is using the iPad whilst walking around and have my BB starts beeping. I have to find a place to put my iPad down, then get my handset to look and reply for messages. Therefore I hope the BlackBerry tablet:

1. "Pair" to my handset and can replicate everything in my handset, including:
    - BBM and all IM's
    - Text Messages
    - Emails
    - Can see who's ringing me (scenario: walking with tablet in hand, phone ringing, look at the tablet, answer via Bluetooth headset)
    - Contacts
    - Calendar
    This will allow me only synching one of them to my Outlook, and the Dynamic Duo will take care of themselves.

2. Sync via wifi (through the router) when they are on the same network - better battery life AND range than via Bluetooth), BUT only when they are on the same network, so I can leave my phone on my desk, and still getting messages. I don't want them to sync over the internet, meaning people can see my BBM if I happen to leave my tablet at work.

3. Sync via Bluetooth when out and about.

4. Being able to browse files, for files in the tablet, in the phone, and in the network/server/nas (scenario: must send email to client with a photo I took using the phone, browse the files in the phone using the tablet, and email it)

I am not asking too much, am I?
    09-20-10 09:45 PM
    the reason why i hate the ipad.. even though i own it is that you can't dowload anything on it.. i'm stuck with apps..
    to be specific, we use a "Citrix" program and the damn ipad ( and i have consulted apple) cannot have anything installed on it except apps..
    so much for their ad of replacing the netbook..( my eee pc does the job)
    so i hope the Surfbook addresses this issue
    09-20-10 09:54 PM
    the reason why i hate the ipad.. even though i own it is that you can't dowload anything on it.. i'm stuck with apps..
    to be specific, we use a "Citrix" program and the damn ipad ( and i have consulted apple) cannot have anything installed on it except apps..
    so much for their ad of replacing the netbook..( my eee pc does the job)
    so i hope the Surfbook addresses this issue
    Yeah I was reading some document that Apple just put out about using the iPad in business with the new 4.2 upgrade coming out in November. If your company set up an Apple Remote Management server (you can get them for $999), they could push any app, including in house developed apps, to an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch that the server is responsible for. The server also will be able to support policy and encryption enforcement, restrict apps on the device and sites permitted, and do remote wipes. I'm wondering if when they get 4.2 out there if they are really going to push hard on this to businesses.

The other thing that this made me realize is that people could buy their own Mac Mini Snow Leopard server for $999, turn it into remote management server, and after that essentially jailbreak every iPad, iPhone and iPod touch they own because they could push whatever apps they wanted to, and it would also allow them to remotely access their home network.
    09-21-10 06:19 AM
    ^ my Company is the US government.
    and we go for the cheapest alternative during bidding.
    09-21-10 08:41 AM
    ^ my Company is the US government.
    and we go for the cheapest alternative during bidding.
    LOL.....you hit the nail on the head with that!
    09-22-10 08:10 PM
    If I can sent a file I just got on my Bold to my Surfbook, BlackPad whatever they are going to call it and work on it there...send it back to the Bold, attach it my company email and send it. That's almost worth buying it to me right there. I don't have to fire up my company laptop, make a connection with the data card, open Office, etc etc.

If they incorporate seamless file and media transfers between both devices I think that would be enough for me to get one.

I don't want it to have 3G...I don't want another contract. If RIM would let it do the same thing with Windows Mobile and Android devices too?.... that would knock it out of the park for RIM.

Make it able to use the iPhone's data connection....now THAT would funny!...lol
    09-22-10 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD