love... great form factor. the size is perfect.

the ability to play so many video formats. loading it with movies is great.

the closing apps, is great.

multitasking.. awesome.

hate... can't tether to my Droid X. tried everything.

no foreign language keyboards that i need.

can't get it to connect to my pc via usb, so I have to do the super slow method of connecting via ip via run.

i wish i had some android apps.
    03-31-12 12:38 PM
    U can sideload without computer tho... Look in crackberry how to do it
    03-31-12 01:03 PM
    love... great form factor. the size is perfect.

the ability to play so many video formats. loading it with movies is great.

the closing apps, is great.

multitasking.. awesome.

hate... can't tether to my Droid X. tried everything.

no foreign language keyboards that i need.

can't get it to connect to my pc via usb, so I have to do the super slow method of connecting via ip via run.

i wish i had some android apps.

Doesn't Mobile Hotspot work? I thought it was built in to the OS from Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) if I'm not mistaken. Seeing as you're with Verizon, chances are it is an extra cost but call them and see if you do have the option to tether without being dinged for overage/extra charges.
    03-31-12 01:40 PM
    One thing I always turn to when considering the PB's shortcomings *as a tablet* compared to the competition is how outstanding of a PMP/MP3 player it is for such a low cost. There isn't a PMP or MP3 player available that can even approach the goodness, usability, quality and functionality of the PB, let alone one at the PB's cost. Having the hardware the PB has, audio and video wise, then adding in the web surfing abilities, game playing goodness and the many other things the PB can do, to pass up a PB at it's sale price when a person would like or love to own a quality PMP/MP3 player is unwise. Not even the iPod Touch or Samsung PMP/MP3 players can approach the PB's usability and audio quality. The Cowon PMPs...some of the highest rated and most expensive PMPs on the market, can't hold a candle to the PB. Then consider getting such a fantastic PMP/MP3 player as the PB at such a low price.

If Cowon, iRiver, Samsung, Creative, Archos were to ever sell as good a device as the PB and market it as a PMP they would charge such a high cost for it...based on the similar PMPs they are currently selling, which can't even begin to compare to the PB and don't have the high-end audio and video processing hardware the PB has. Yet those sub-par and lackluster products are selling for exorbitant costs.

It just blows my mind that any other portable audio/video device would be considered before a PB at its cost.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 03-31-12 at 02:18 PM.
    03-31-12 01:55 PM
    Well, I took my second PB 64 back to Office Depot yesterday, sadly. I really love the PB... except.

It will not connect with my Android phone via BT, and it is impossible to send files via BT, no matter whether it is from my phone or any of the four computers in my house. Yeah, I know... over WiFi. But my main purpose in having a tablet is to have a portable platform that is usable AWAY from my home or a commercial WiFi hotspot. I live out in the boonies and I need something that is capable of working with my phone and my laptop(s). If it had a microSD slot or something like that, it wouldn't be such an issue, even though swapping out a card is a pain... but it doesn't. Why didn't RIM consider the primary use of BT when they put it into the PB: short-range, platform-independent wireless connectivity between devices.

Made me sad to return it, seriously, but without the ability to transfer files away from a WiFi hotspot, it was useless.

PS - I said second PB because the first one had the same problem, but the RIM "support" folks on the phone spent over an hour, and either didn't know, or wouldn't admit, that the PB will not connect to transfer files, via BT. So, I had already exchanged the PB once.
    Last edited by wolfmont; 03-31-12 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Left out some details.
    03-31-12 06:10 PM
    I love pretty much everything about my PlayBook, what I hate is two things 1. When I say that I don't use my netbook or laptop some always posts behind me "Not me I need to be able to use long reaching equations" To this person I don't care that you need to do this and it doesn't make you seem smart but makes you look stupid. 2 People have no faith in RIM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-31-12 06:12 PM
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaawn
    Great contribution to an otherwise upbeat thread.
    04-01-12 10:52 PM
    not hate but I dislike few things but after using few tablets last week, I can never think of getting another tab that doesn't offer the multi-tasking / bezel and bridge. Made me realize things I took for granted
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-02-12 02:30 AM
    Doesn't Mobile Hotspot work? I thought it was built in to the OS from Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) if I'm not mistaken. Seeing as you're with Verizon, chances are it is an extra cost but call them and see if you do have the option to tether without being dinged for overage/extra charges.
    Sorry. I meant that a free source for tethering. It seems many others have got it working. I have tried every tether program with zero luck.
    04-05-12 01:34 AM
    One thing I always turn to when considering the PB's shortcomings *as a tablet* compared to the competition is how outstanding of a PMP/MP3 player it is for such a low cost. There isn't a PMP or MP3 player available that can even approach the goodness, usability, quality and functionality of the PB, let alone one at the PB's cost. Having the hardware the PB has, audio and video wise, then adding in the web surfing abilities, game playing goodness and the many other things the PB can do, to pass up a PB at it's sale price when a person would like or love to own a quality PMP/MP3 player is unwise. Not even the iPod Touch or Samsung PMP/MP3 players can approach the PB's usability and audio quality. The Cowon PMPs...some of the highest rated and most expensive PMPs on the market, can't hold a candle to the PB. Then consider getting such a fantastic PMP/MP3 player as the PB at such a low price.

If Cowon, iRiver, Samsung, Creative, Archos were to ever sell as good a device as the PB and market it as a PMP they would charge such a high cost for it...based on the similar PMPs they are currently selling, which can't even begin to compare to the PB and don't have the high-end audio and video processing hardware the PB has. Yet those sub-par and lackluster products are selling for exorbitant costs.

It just blows my mind that any other portable audio/video device would be considered before a PB at its cost.
    The media capabilities are definitely very nice. I love it for that.

One issue.. the browser isn't that good. Some sites don't work at all.
    04-05-12 01:35 AM
    not hate but I dislike few things but after using few tablets last week, I can never think of getting another tab that doesn't offer the multi-tasking / bezel and bridge. Made me realize things I took for granted
    I own the latest iPad. And truthfully, the apps and language options are the only things I like about it over my Playbook. Having to use iTunes is infuriating.
    04-05-12 01:38 AM

A lot of consumers picked up PB as PMP. Yes, very attractive price when it comes to feature set it provides.

However, when you talk about Audio and its quality, there's one area you did not mention - accessories and AirPlay. All Audio equipment of course supports Line-in for PMP and MP3 players, but nothing beats support for iPod dock. With my Harman Kardon receiver I can remotely control audio play from any device that supports Apple connector, unfortunately the choice is limited to iPods/iPhones.

Also, AirPlay is getting some traction and a lot of devices support that. This, actually is something that PB can support, as there's no specific hardware required for it other than Wifi. I wonder what RIM can do about this.

As for audio quality, as long as you're sending digital audio stream to these Audio devices, there's no quality difference among devices.

Anyway, as a portable media device, PB is pretty good as is and a great selling point at current price.
    04-05-12 07:57 AM
    PB use the same Wolfson 8994 DAC like many other samsung phone and tablet, nothing special about it.
    Plus that the advantage of PMP is small form factor, I'm not sure what is the point of comparing a tablet with a PMP.

And still, not in the same league with iPod > LOD > portable DAC/AMP anyway, let alone "high-end audio" bull =)
    04-05-12 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD