this is fair question to ask. my understanding is the converting android apps to bar is ultra easy. there are tons of apps that work great on playbook but are not available in the app store. for example winamp is not in app store. why ?

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk
    08-05-12 10:28 AM
    PB hasn't gain enough traction in the market space to convince them that the reward from PB platform would be enough to justify their investment
    08-05-12 10:35 AM
    PB hasn't gain enough traction in the market space to convince them that the reward from PB platform would be enough to justify their investment
    I've actually went to a few companies and said "Look, here is a .bar file, it works, do you want to put this on App World?"

No replies back.

It's one of two things, not so much of an investment if the .bar file is given to you and all you need to do is spend a few minutes setting up a Vendor account.
    08-05-12 10:43 AM
    Exactly.

As I have said to the point of exhaustion... Developers want to make money. The playbook just doesnt have enough market saturation to justify the investment in time and resources. I warned people that this is why we need skype.... Kindle.... Netflix.... Etc.

So each time you read "i dont like skype so the playbook doesnt need it", translate that into the device losing X number of sales for not having these apps, and then move on to Y # of developers the device loses because there arent X # of paying customers.
    08-05-12 10:43 AM
    this is fair question to ask. my understanding is the converting android apps to bar is ultra easy. there are tons of apps that work great on playbook but are not available in the app store. for example winamp is not in app store. why ?

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk
    Guys, i think you're missing the OP's point , i dont think he necessarily meant the high profile apps like netflix and skype , more like the already developed apps where the file can just be converted , so there doesnt need mega investment in resources, just ten minutes of work converting it . It was a fair question not necessarily addressing the lack of skype etc.
    08-05-12 11:07 AM
    To answer the OPs question, not all Android apps will work on the PB because Google licenses their native code libraries and RIM isn't paying for them. So apps that use them will not work like winamp. At least last time I side loaded winamp it forced closed and haven't tried again. Also RIM has blocked access to certain things like the Camera and Bluetooth and Google Play. In 2.1 beta there is camera access now.

I know a guy who received a PB as a gift. I asked him how he liked it and he did like it a lot but then asked me where Skype was. That discussion ended in disappointment for him and me. Sad

In all honesty the PB video chat is better. Has better video and sound from my own experience, but not everyone has or wants a PB or even a tablet for that matter

I would like to see some kind of evidence to see the effect that not having Skype or Netflix has on sales. The PlayBook is a WIFI tablet so for commuting its limited for those apps. For home use I use my TVs or computers so its not an issue (for me). Seeing that TVs and computers are in most homes I have to question the impact of not having these apps is having. I have no doubt it has an impact but really what are the numbers?

Kindle: Amazon KindleFire proves there is a market for reading and probably video. It wickedly outsold the PlayBook and it doesn't have Skype, it has no microphone or a camera.

This isn't to say I don't want Skype etc.

@goku_vegeta Sorry I don't know why a developer wouldn't want to sell their app by taking an hour to submit their app. Sounds like they are already dissatisfied with their current sales on Google Play and don't want to put any more time into it.
    08-05-12 11:54 AM
    Guys, i think you're missing the OP's point , i dont think he necessarily meant the high profile apps like netflix and skype , more like the already developed apps where the file can just be converted , so there doesnt need mega investment in resources, just ten minutes of work converting it . It was a fair question not necessarily addressing the lack of skype etc.
    Like the newest Google maps apk. Converted, it works
    08-05-12 12:01 PM
    My guess would be:
    1. Not all apps work with the playbook (the ones using native libs and unimplemented APIs)
    2. And those which do work even:
    a. The developer pretty much makes a support commitment when he puts his app into the appworld..
    b. Update/ Take feedback / Fix bugs and so on..
    c. They do have to sign up for an account, Convert their app getting rid of everything Android, Submit and wait for approval.. (Don't think this is too big an issue though..)
    3. Maybe the devs just don't think there is a wide enough userbase for Playbook yet (Which hopefully should change as BB10 devices roll out..)
    4. Maybe they are just not aware of Playbook and its Android runtime.. It is relatively new (6 months?)
    5. And 2.1 has activated In App payements for Android ports.. Will this attract more devs? (Lets wait and watch)

Anyway I don't see why any of these should stop them from porting but must be something along these lines I would think..
    08-05-12 01:12 PM
    I would like to see some kind of evidence to see the effect that not having Skype or Netflix has on sales.
    Find a chart comparing the sales of tablets that have these apps with the Playbook.
    08-05-12 01:40 PM
    The companies/developers behind these apps will not want their applications released on the PB without personally testing them to ensure they are relatively bug-free and are a good experience for the user. It is damaging to a company/developer if they release an app that gets bad press. It encourages those with bad experiences to stay away from that company/dev on other platforms, and can push away other potential customers too. So they only want to put out apps they know are of the quality they deem "acceptable". Without personally testing, they can't ensure that. The testing requires time and hardware. It's all very well for you to say "but i'll test and tell them it works" - companies can't afford to risk their reputation on the word of a few anonymous posters on an internet forum.

I'd say this is a large contributor to the fact we have so few converted Android apps on the App World, despite them working sufficiently when converted manually and sideloaded.
    08-05-12 01:40 PM
    To answer the OPs question, not all Android apps will work on the PB because Google licenses their native code libraries and RIM isn't paying for them. So apps that use them will not work like winamp. At least last time I side loaded winamp it forced closed and haven't tried again.
    I actually have Winamp running very nicely on my PlayBooks.

The point of the OP isn't about the apps that don't work on the PlayBook, it's about the ones that do with minimal effort (e.g., Winamp, Kindle, Evernote and many more took me less than 10 minutes to get working on my PlayBook) basically zero investment on the part of the developers, yet they're not doing it.

One reason I can think of is that they'd like, if their name is associated with the app, for the app to be optimized for the PlayBook and not just run like an Android app. Also, they may not have time for full testing and if they put it up they'll be expected to support it too.
    08-05-12 02:27 PM
    I think another factor in the equation is if you port it to PlayBook and it's your app - you don't just offer it, you have to support it. You say a particular app works well for you but it might not for another. For individual devs that means devoting time, an individuals time is limited and you decide how much of your time you wish to devote to something like this. For companies, it could mean they have have to hire new staff who are familiar with the PB and running apps in the Android player etc. That"s a financial decision. In any case it's not just put in AppWorld and forget it.
    SifJar likes this.
    08-05-12 08:11 PM
    Exactly.

As I have said to the point of exhaustion... Developers want to make money. The playbook just doesnt have enough market saturation to justify the investment in time and resources. I warned people that this is why we need skype.... Kindle.... Netflix.... Etc.

So each time you read "i dont like skype so the playbook doesnt need it", translate that into the device losing X number of sales for not having these apps, and then move on to Y # of developers the device loses because there arent X # of paying customers.
    I am talking about apps that are for android and it takes literally ......... 60 seconds to convert them. there is really no excuse not to do it and really even with "only" 1,000,000 pb users any money is good money especially with little to no effort.
    08-05-12 11:37 PM
    I actually have Winamp running very nicely on my PlayBooks.

The point of the OP isn't about the apps that don't work on the PlayBook, it's about the ones that do with minimal effort (e.g., Winamp, Kindle, Evernote and many more took me less than 10 minutes to get working on my PlayBook) basically zero investment on the part of the developers, yet they're not doing it.

One reason I can think of is that they'd like, if their name is associated with the app, for the app to be optimized for the PlayBook and not just run like an Android app. Also, they may not have time for full testing and if they put it up they'll be expected to support it too.
    winamp and many apps work extremely well on playbook. i will risk to say that there is no need for native qnx app for many of them because android port works so well.
    08-05-12 11:38 PM
    I think one of the problems may be the fact that high quality apps the developers can actually sell won't run on the PlayBook. I've no lie converted well over a thousand apps and I can't think of a single one that is worth money and gets a lot of sales on Google Play that actually works on the PlayBook right.

I am a developer with android devices and can get apk files from my phone to bar files on the PlayBook in seconds. None of my paid android apps work. None of the good free apps work. Its just the junky apps that work. If you are an Android developer and your app can only be given away on the PlayBook then why bother submitting it to app world? Especially when your app has more than likely already been posted online as a converted bar.

Anyone that thinks setting up a vendor account, setting up the signing keys, setting up for converting and then signing and then submitting the apps is easy should try it lol. It isn't really difficult, but it is a fairly long process and in my opinion too much of a pain in the rear to do unless you will get money from your apps.
    08-05-12 11:41 PM
    I've actually went to a few companies and said "Look, here is a .bar file, it works, do you want to put this on App World?"

No replies back.

It's one of two things, not so much of an investment if the .bar file is given to you and all you need to do is spend a few minutes setting up a Vendor account.
    i've thought about doing the same so many times. i just do not get why can they just convert and port them. any new users is always good imo.
    08-05-12 11:43 PM
    What they all have to do is convert the apk to bar, heck you don't even need to do that...just go here: PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

Then just submit it to the App world.

It's not the Playbook...blame RIM for holding it back , especially how they organize App World.

App World seriously needs a "extreme makeover"...not "hey let's just change the theme by adding windows tiles and everything will look new."

C'mon RIM....why you slacking in EVERYTHING!
    Last edited by rupam95; 08-05-12 at 11:56 PM.
    08-05-12 11:48 PM
    What they all have to do is convert the apk to bar, heck you don't even need to do that...just go here: PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

Then just submit it to the App world.

It's not the Playbook...blame RIM for holding it back , especially how they organize App World.

App World seriously needs a "extreme makeover"...not "hey let's just change the theme by adding windows tiles and everything will look new."

C'mon RIM....why you slacking in EVERYTHING!
    I don't think they could use that site and submit the result to App World. I am fairly sure you will have to use your own signing key if you want to submit it to App World, i.e. do the conversion manually (or you can use BBHTool). That site will sign it with the key belonging to the creator of that site.
    08-06-12 04:56 AM
    I know its kinda off topic, but i would pay for the "Score! Classic Goals" game if it was available on our App World"

Any help?

Thats

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-06-12 05:18 AM
    Developers develop if other developers are developing.

Hook a few popular names for playbook, the rest will follow
    08-06-12 03:31 PM
    Some Airlines are working on using tablets for aircraft maintenance. It would improve drastically turned around time while a/c on the ground. I have just read number of articles describing how and what would be used. None of the maintenance gurus ever mentioned PlayBook as a possible tablet for very promising application that would bring big and steady sale of such gadjets. Too bad RIM wasn't explore this business direction.
    08-06-12 03:49 PM
    As others have said, developers/companies if converted would now have to support PB. Everyone seems to have written off RIM sadly and don't want to allocate resources to the 3rd horse being left in the dust.
    08-06-12 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD