i was wondering since RIm is in a bad situation, what happens to PLaybook when RIM is sold to another company likke samsung?
    04-01-12 06:29 AM
    All BB devices will immediately vaporize.

C'mon man...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Spencerdl likes this.
    04-01-12 06:42 AM
    I seriously doubt it will happen. In comparison to how Apple were in the 1990s RIM are positively healthy.

As long as RIM get the technology right for BB10, attract the killer apps that people want, and - most important of all - get the marketing spot-on then I think the time is right for a move away from Apple dominance.

Sounds easy, but it is going to an uphill battle as RIMs recent track record for getting the technology spot on first time isn't good, nor, it seems, is there ability to attract the top apps en mass. And as for the marketing ... say no more.

With the changes at the top though, I have faith that they will pull it off, and the doom and gloomists will have to eat their proverbial hats
    djnshores likes this.
    04-01-12 07:11 AM
    That's like asking what will happen After the zombie apocalypse.

It ain't gonna happen.

Enjoy your BlackBerry devices. That's what I'm doing. So much drama.
    kbz1960 and wcgarette like this.
    04-01-12 07:18 AM
    Seriously though, RIM not supporting the appstore would mean having to side load any fan apps people chose to make for fun or using the old shareware/begware business model. The devices would work but no updates or fixes and little chance of those from others would suck.

With Android openish source you have a better chance. I have an Android 7" as well and prefer the PlayBook but would switch back to it eventually if RIM dumped the PlayBook entirely.
    04-01-12 07:19 AM
    That's like asking what will happen After the zombie apocalypse.

It ain't gonna happen.

Enjoy your BlackBerry devices. That's what I'm doing. So much drama.

Come on, are you serious?
    Don't you watch the Walking Dead?
    The Zombie Apocalypse has begun! They'll all need communication devices to organize attacks, there's an untapped market for BBM right there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-12 07:27 AM
    By the time it does or doesn't happen the PB is going to be old and probably dead because the battery has reached the end of its life span.
    Spencerdl, reschp and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-01-12 07:33 AM
    Seriously though. The anticipation is causing some people angst. Nothing happened yet. Stop worrying.

If RIM goes under you'll buy a different phone. Pretty easy.

Why all the stress?

PS I do not think RIM is, or will, go under. But again, we don't know what will happen. We just know what is.
    kbz1960 and Spencerdl like this.
    04-01-12 07:36 AM
    04-01-12 08:17 AM
    I seriously doubt it will happen. In comparison to how Apple were in the 1990s RIM are positively healthy.

As long as RIM get the technology right for BB10, attract the killer apps that people want, and - most important of all - get the marketing spot-on then I think the time is right for a move away from Apple dominance.

Sounds easy, but it is going to an uphill battle as RIMs recent track record for getting the technology spot on first time isn't good, nor, it seems, is there ability to attract the top apps en mass. And as for the marketing ... say no more.

With the changes at the top though, I have faith that they will pull it off, and the doom and gloomists will have to eat their proverbial hats
    I agree! RIM financials are still strong, especially outside the US. I don't see a sale of the company at this time. I think RIM is on its last chance to get things right. The Playbook has potential in the business market and likely will keep a minor presence in the consumer market. If they screw up BB10, RIM will likely be history and sold. But that is at least a year away.
    04-01-12 08:18 AM
    Man: Doctor, I have accidentally eaten the box along with my pizza, will I die?
    Dr.: We will all eventually die
    Man: We'll all die? Oh no, what have I done?...........

To the OP, we will all eventually die
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-12 08:26 AM
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-12 10:31 AM
    I don't think the OP is a troll. If you believe the garbage you read in the media, it's a valid question. Of course, I learned a long time ago that the media has a way of putting the most negative spin they possibly can on stories like this.

RIM is not at deaths door and the Playbook won't be going away anytime soon. By the time I wear out the PB I have now, I fully expect to be able to buy the the PB2.
    04-01-12 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD