I am never one of those who demand lots of apps, since I don't use many at all. What BB has perfectly satisfies me but not so with many others.

The thing with the "many" apps demands is that people just want it available in the case that they may need or use it in the future. In other words, I want it on hand, that is all. For each individual out there, the list of "must have" apps will always be different; there will always be one or more apps that is on one list and not on another. But if those one or two apps are not available, they will say "there aren't enough" of an ecosystem. So, unfortunately, you can't satisfy everyone unless you have them all. Like I said, people want it simply to be available.

Also, there seems to be a new mentality among users and that is a competitive mentality: "the platform I'm using has all this...and yours?"

On another note, I haven't used news apps and similar apps - I simply browse on the Net for that. So I don't really understand why the need for certain apps that one can simply use a browser for? Web browsing on tablets and phones are getting a whole lot better and easier nowadays anyway. But this may simply be my own ignorance.
    My ignorance is right along side of you. Not to say no apps are needed as they are. I don't get this shortcut? App thing to something that works great in the browser but many love them so glad they have them for choice.

I just hope my choice of using a browser never gets taken away.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-17-12 12:42 PM

On another note, I haven't used news apps and similar apps - I simply browse on the Net for that. So I don't really understand why the need for certain apps that one can simply use a browser for? Web browsing on tablets and phones are getting a whole lot better and easier nowadays anyway. But this may simply be my own ignorance.
    Let me see if I can give you a peak at a different perspective. I am prefacing this by pointing out that I am not trying to sway you to use apps; if you don't need em, you don't need em.

This weekend, I needed to do some real estate research FAST. I ended up checking out Zillow. Keep in mind I have access to some of the best mobile browsers. I was trying to do an area search, which required GPS. Then I had to do zooming in and out, which was a bit wonky. And then I had to search with criteria. Back and forth in the browser.

There was an app available, but I generally don't download apps without research. I decided to break that rule, and downloaded the app.

The speed of usage was tangible. The app is easy to use. It worked well with everything else (email, GPS, etc) so that it it became an extension of the device. And I didn't have to create a Zillow account or input my email into their database.

Another example is Dropbox. I truly cannot adequately explain to you how using a full-functioned app TRUMPS using the website. Again, speed of use, interaction with other apps (I can play music and videos, auto-upload work photos, install apps and more). using the website is far, far clunkier.

Some apps are just portals that make life easier. On the Dropbox and Zillow sites, there are a few things that the developer adds to the app that are not available at the sites.

Again, if you don't need em, you don't need em. But keep in mind, good mobile browsers are almost ubiquitous. I do use my device way more than most people though, so most people will probably not use specific apps as much as I do.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-17-12 02:27 PM
    A good book reader app
    An full featured office suite
    A good map app
    A news reading app

That along with the Playbooks native software is, in my opinion about all that is needed. Now if you want to state that those apps should have come fully developed with Playbook I won't argue the point.
    See, I wouldn't use an LCD screen to read books. I'd get a dedicated e-reader. 7" is too small to do any significant office work, it's fine for some quick editing, but the form factor is poorly suited. Maps are important if you have a cellular connection, but I find the GPS to be rather useless in the WiFi PlayBook. I never use apps to read news.

Basic is a browser. That's the only thing everyone uses.
    09-17-12 02:37 PM
    See, I wouldn't use an LCD screen to read books. I'd get a dedicated e-reader. 7" is too small to do any significant office work, it's fine for some quick editing, but the form factor is poorly suited. Maps are important if you have a cellular connection, but I find the GPS to be rather useless in the WiFi PlayBook. I never use apps to read news.

Basic is a browser. That's the only thing everyone uses.
    If the only thing you need is a browser, the PlayBook is the wrong choice, you can get a $70 Android tablet and get a far better choice of browsers than the PlayBook has.

What we have is a tablet which is capable of so much more. A tablet with a front facing camera which can't use Skype. A tablet that can take good photos and 1080p video, but can't edit the video at all and can barely edit photos (nothing nearly as good as a dozen $2 iOS apps). Audio editing - same thing.

The browser may be the only thing that everyone uses, but everyone also wants to do a variety of other things - games, business apps, creative apps, etc and the PlayBook is a small fraction of how useful it could be because the apps are missing. Skype, Netflix, and Kindle are brought up because they are apps that many, many people want to use, but the apps that fewer people want to use aren't there either.
    09-17-12 03:15 PM
    Darlaten pointed out medical apps for a competing product. I do not believe that web-based-apps can replace such dedicated applications. Obviously you can root around the web and piece together a series of medical diagrams or similar but that could be tedious and probably still can't replace an app. In addition, there are times that folks are not "touching" the airwaves (wifi or even 3g/etc) and having the data on the device cannot be replaced.

This past week my standalone TomTom gps functioned with its onboard maps where a "connected" device failed since there was nothing to connect to. So an app with maps cannot be replaced by a Browser that needs access to remote data.

Similarly, all the games folks play are apps and without data (browser) could be useless.

Yes, clearly there are probably many folks who don't need any apps. Fine - they can be satisfied but if you need or want apps for specific purposes - well..........
    09-17-12 04:26 PM
    map app that comes with playbook is next to nothing. The browser need a lot of improvements. Video player is very limited. Adobe reader is just a toy. And what not?
    I would disagree regarding the browser? There are much better alternative apps available for the other programs you list
    09-17-12 04:51 PM
    If the only thing you need is a browser, the PlayBook is the wrong choice, you can get a $70 Android tablet and get a far better choice of browsers than the PlayBook has.
    I use more than a browser. I'm just saying the browser is the only thing that's basic that everyone needs. Anything else one person might say is a basic need is completely unimportant to someone else.
    09-17-12 04:52 PM
    Did you mean to quote me LOL.
    I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick... Skimming your post I read it wrongly and missed the sarcasm at the end.

Apologies.
    09-17-12 04:56 PM
    It's very simple, if there's an app you want, and it's not on the playbook it's frustrating. A lot of people want netflix or skype, but even if they're the only person with a playbook who wants a particular app, it's still frustrating. It gets more frustrating when there's more apps you'd like but can't have (without buying another device).
    I agree those things can be frustrating to certain individuals, however it can be equally frustrating to hear someone complain that this or that App is essential to everyone when it matters not at all to you.
    09-17-12 04:56 PM
    It's easy to ignore though. Or to just set it straight. Most people who aren't concerned about a particular app aren't going to take it to heart when someone complains that the PB doesn't have that app.

And at the moment it's almost moot. Anyone who's going to get a PB already has one (unless it's the LTE version, which sells to an entirely different demographic - the kind of person who can easily buy another tablet just for that one app).
    09-17-12 05:02 PM
    Let me see if I can give you a peak at a different perspective. I am prefacing this by pointing out that I am not trying to sway you to use apps; if you don't need em, you don't need em.

This weekend, I needed to do some real estate research FAST. I ended up checking out Zillow. Keep in mind I have access to some of the best mobile browsers. I was trying to do an area search, which required GPS. Then I had to do zooming in and out, which was a bit wonky. And then I had to search with criteria. Back and forth in the browser.

There was an app available, but I generally don't download apps without research. I decided to break that rule, and downloaded the app.

The speed of usage was tangible. The app is easy to use. It worked well with everything else (email, GPS, etc) so that it it became an extension of the device. And I didn't have to create a Zillow account or input my email into their database.

Another example is Dropbox. I truly cannot adequately explain to you how using a full-functioned app TRUMPS using the website. Again, speed of use, interaction with other apps (I can play music and videos, auto-upload work photos, install apps and more). using the website is far, far clunkier.

Some apps are just portals that make life easier. On the Dropbox and Zillow sites, there are a few things that the developer adds to the app that are not available at the sites.

Again, if you don't need em, you don't need em. But keep in mind, good mobile browsers are almost ubiquitous. I do use my device way more than most people though, so most people will probably not use specific apps as much as I do.
    Thanks for your perspective. I understand that apps are very useful when you want certain tasks to be done but I do wonder about the high demand for, what I perceive, everything to be an app. Certain things don't require apps, do they? Yet, some demand there be an app for it. Befuddles me a bit.
    09-17-12 05:45 PM
    I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick... Skimming your post I read it wrongly and missed the sarcasm at the end.

Apologies.
    No apologies needed...
    09-17-12 06:38 PM
    Thanks for your perspective. I understand that apps are very useful when you want certain tasks to be done but I do wonder about the high demand for, what I perceive, everything to be an app. Certain things don't require apps, do they? Yet, some demand there be an app for it. Befuddles me a bit.
    Let's start with my inability to separate "peek" from "peak." I need an app for my spelling

I am kinda with you. Not everything needs an app. Some websites work better than apps. For example, Wikipedia. The app does collate information in a very slick manner, but I actually prefer bookmarking it.
    09-17-12 06:59 PM
    I'm still looking for a good slide show app for photos. One that loops the album and allows cool transitions. So far, nothing effective is available, but lots of crappy apps that crash every other photo.
    09-17-12 11:06 PM
    Who cares about the app, it is far cheaper than ay iPad on the market. It might not be as 'Cool' but at least the creater can keep creating. Sorry for the cheap shot!
    09-17-12 11:16 PM
    It's also nice to have the option, one person might prefer the app while the other person prefers the website. If you have both, then both people are happy.
    09-18-12 12:52 AM
    Who cares about the app, it is far cheaper than ay iPad on the market. It might not be as 'Cool' but at least the creater can keep creating. Sorry for the cheap shot!
    I'm not aware of anywhere that still has the PlayBook in stock, so that's an entirely moot point. And if you're talking about the LTE one, that costs $550, compared to $500 for the Retina iPad and $400 for the iPad 2.
    09-18-12 12:53 AM
    If carriers are so against Skype why in heck does every other platform have it? If carriers really hate it that much how do they allow it and why would RIM having it be any different than the others having it?
    09-20-12 06:52 AM
    It's also nice to have the option, one person might prefer the app while the other person prefers the website. If you have both, then both people are happy.
    Very well said.

If carriers are so against Skype why in heck does every other platform have it? If carriers really hate it that much how do they allow it and why would RIM having it be any different than the others having it?
    Good question. I hate to speculate, but I think Kevin's theory of app bounties may be at work here.
    09-20-12 07:03 AM
    The present condition of applications I will NOT blame on RIM.
    I like your thoughts... but not sure I agree.

I blame RIM.

1- Failed launch and sustained sales of PB. Why dev for a tool that holds a tiny market share.
    2- A mess of development angles with poor support from day one. Release SDK's after the launch of the device, and arguably very late after launch.
    3- PB patches were too few and far between considering the state of the device at launch. I would still be a PB user if the patches were incremental. What did RIM say? Was it that would have roll native email out within 60 days? A year later with 2.0? Why not fix a problem and roll it out, rinse and repeat? Consumer confidence drives dev's to go make a product for a given platform.
    4- Drop the current OS and say BB10 will be released for it, we changed our mind. This isn't a OS upgrade or evolution... this is a bottom up change. Why dev for a OS that will be replaced?
    5- Lack of major apps at launch. Show some backing in this device. Have it scream out that it is solid, functional and well supported.
    6- I suspect RIM were not proactive enough in streaming some apps through the submission process. I believe it took the best part of a year for the folks behind 'IM+' to get there app submitted. 'Tune-in' was ready to launch on the PB... what was going on behind the scenes?

I'm just being honest, bare in mind I invested in RIM by buying a PB. I wouldn't have done that in retrospect but I did have hope.
    FF22 and bdegrande like this.
    09-20-12 07:18 AM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD