I am constantly amazed by the constant complaints regarding the "lack" of applications for the playbook. I do understand that there are a few that always come up. Those being Skype and netflix. Is this the reason people are not purchasing? Or is it a deeper need to be part of something else? Does the need for more dictate their decision? Or is it just as simple as not wanting to be more involved in the research of a product and just buy whatever they are told to ?

I suppose if I could figure that out I would be able to sell ice to Eskimos.

09-15-12 05:04 PM
    I am constantly amazed by the constant complaints regarding the "lack" of applications for the playbook. I do understand that there are a few that always come up. Those being Skype and netflix. Is this the reason people are not purchasing? Or is it a deeper need to be part of something else? Does the need for more dictate their decision? Or is it just as simple as not wanting to be more involved in the research of a product and just buy whatever they are told to ?

Its partially a Y generation effect. I bought your tablet and deserve everything I want that someone else has (thanks a lot to modern day sports giving trophies to the losing teams).

They believe all major features, swipes, navigation methods, applications etc should have feature parity across all platforms or they should have a right to immediately change platforms for free. Brand loyalty is dying people buy devices based on marketing of the year.

There are also people like me who bought a PlayBook for the same price as an iPad (when they first came out). And different people have different requirements. I love my PB, and wish for no other device. However I do have to admit, I do find apps have higher quality on average on my iPad 2, and some of the more complete development API's (notifications/background services/multicasting for PnP/video codec addons) makes my Android tablet also very tempting some days.

Just depends on the person imo. And ymmv.
    09-15-12 05:31 PM
    Just how many apps do people want? There are plenty of apps for the PB. Certainly enough to keep me happy. Yes, Skype would be a good addition although personally, I don't think I would have a great deal of use for it.

It all seems to be apps, apps, apps, especially on other platforms, the majority of which are pure rubbish.
    esk369, bungaboy and pcguy514 like this.
    09-15-12 05:32 PM
    On the playbook they are disproportionately expensive, too few and far between and the app store is a mess!

That do you?
    cdelcampo216, Drew808 and Yaceka like this.
    09-15-12 05:34 PM

It's not always about SKYPE and NETFLIX...OMG FK GOD!!!!!

The Playbook doesn't have the BASIC apps!!!

Pandora, Kindle, Citi Bank app, and TV Apps like CW and ABC, etc.

Even developers have stopped updating their apps. They just come, submit app, leave. No more updates are received or any news.

And by the way,

We have enough GAMES to satisfy the users, just bring the BASIC APPS.
    Last edited by rupam95; 09-17-12 at 08:38 AM.
    09-15-12 05:38 PM
    Just how many apps do people want? There are plenty of apps for the PB. Certainly enough to keep me happy. Yes, Skype would be a good addition although personally, I don't think I would have a great deal of use for it.

It all seems to be apps, apps, apps, especially on other platforms, the majority of which are pure rubbish.

OK, so what's a tablet without apps?
    cdelcampo216, richardat and Yaceka like this.
    09-15-12 05:44 PM
    Op have you used iOS/android/winmo7? A lot of the apps for the pb is basura. If i want to entertain myself i can't because of the lack of apps, if i want something to help me be productive i can't (with the playbok) because lack of apps. The tablet is useless if you can't run any of the great programs on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Drew808 and richardat like this.
    09-15-12 05:51 PM
    I have several tablets including a Blackberry Playbook, an Ipad and some Android tablet. Of all of them I'd prefer the Playbook for watching videos because of it's superior speakers and it's good screen. The problem is that the built-in video player just doesn't have many features. It's not a bad player but there are dozens of better ones to choose from in Android or IOS.

I can't get a Kindle app on the Playbook. While that's not the end of the world, I also can't get Netflix. Okay, not a big deal but I can go on and soon the pattern becomes obvious.

If the apps that are built-in were all I needed it would be the best tablet I have, by far. And they're good apps. But they just aren't enough.

So I look in App World and I find a few apps that might be useful but they're two and three times more than comparable Android and IOS apps. And there's no way to get a refund if you don't like it. And it just has to be said, there aren't that many good ones.

There are some good apps. I've bought several apps that I'm glad I bought. But most things I want to do I do in Android because I can get any apps I need there and they cost very little.

So the answer is that people complain that there aren't enough apps because there aren't enough apps and that's really a shame. It's a great tablet.

Barry
    09-15-12 05:54 PM
    I have several tablets including a Blackberry Playbook, an Ipad and some Android tablet. Of all of them I'd prefer the Playbook for watching videos because of it's superior speakers and it's good screen. The problem is that the built-in video player just doesn't have many features. It's not a bad player but there are dozens of better ones to choose from in Android or IOS.

I can't get a Kindle app on the Playbook. While that's not the end of the world, I also can't get Netflix. Okay, not a big deal but I can go on and soon the pattern becomes obvious.

If the apps that are built-in were all I needed it would be the best tablet I have, by far. And they're good apps. But they just aren't enough.

So I look in App World and I find a few apps that might be useful but they're two and three times more than comparable Android and IOS apps. And there's no way to get a refund if you don't like it. And it just has to be said, there aren't that many good ones.

There are some good apps. I've bought several apps that I'm glad I bought. But most things I want to do I do in Android because I can get any apps I need there and they cost very little.

So the answer is that people complain that there aren't enough apps because there aren't enough apps and that's really a shame. It's a great tablet.

Barry
    I agree.

Hardware wise, the PlayBook is the best of the best there is. The OS, however, definitely needs a lot of work. It needs an Ecosystem.
    09-15-12 05:58 PM
    Most people want more apps. It's just a fact, it doesn't matter if they need them or they just think they need them. They want them. I'm fine with the apps I have and use my pb everyday it works well for me and what I do with it. But I'm not the average user, they want apps, even if they hardly use them they want them. RIM needs more apps to attract these people
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    09-15-12 06:31 PM
    Its partially a Y generation effect. I bought your tablet and deserve everything I want that someone else has (thanks a lot to modern day sports giving trophies to the losing teams).
    That's been going on for a while. I was "most improved new defensive player" in the 80's.

I don't expect nor need my tablet to do everything my PC can do. The PB browser works good for surfing. I can listen to sirius without an app. I can do my banking without an app. I do everything I need to do with the browser. Even better, I can do it all via bridge without any tethering fees. I'm content.
    I think too many are trying too simulate a desktop experience on a tablet. Technology isn't there yet in my opinion.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 09-15-12 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    esk369, kozmo68, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    09-15-12 08:06 PM

I couldn't agree more got my 1st android device asus t300 the only other experience with adroid is my girlfriends phone and after 2 weeks yes its really nice to have Skype netflix and I've purchased a couple of apps for work other then that the only thing google play has over bb app world is quantity how many thousands of knockoff apps do you need?
    Is 10.000 fart apps enough.
    I believe that rim has an opportunity to build a superior uncluttered user-friendly app world with enough quality apps that can satisfy everybody.
    More does not mean better just my personal opinion.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    09-15-12 08:27 PM

That's a silly excuse. The playbook was a half arsed release by RIMM. The hardware is awesome, however the software/developer support leaves a lot to be desired. It has nothing to do with generation Y , and everything to do with RIMM.
    09-15-12 08:34 PM
    And I still love my playbook easy to use smooth as butter multitasking is a breeze.
    2 weeks with the transformer and imo android is not close to being all that I just wish that BlackBerry made a 10 inch Pb .
    09-15-12 08:35 PM
    That's a silly excuse. The playbook was a half arsed release by RIMM. The hardware is awesome, however the software/developer support leaves a lot to be desired. It has nothing to do with generation Y , and everything to do with RIMM.
    Out of context.
    Hgouck and bigbmc26 like this.
    09-15-12 08:45 PM
    Out of context.
    Not really, blaming a company's short coming on everything except the company is silly imo. The playbook is an okay tablet; the negatives out way the positives and the market recognizes that.
    Yaceka likes this.
    09-15-12 08:52 PM
    It's not always about SKYPE and NETFLIX...OMG FK GOD!!!!!

The Playbook doesn't have the BASIC apps!!!

Pandora, Kindle, Citi Bank app, and TV Apps like CW and ABC, etc.

Even developers have stopped updating their apps. They just come, submit app, leave. No more updates are received or any news.

And by the way,

We have enough GAMES to satisfy the users, just being the BASIC APPS.
    OMG MAYBE NOT FOR YOOOUUUUU, BUT OTHERS WANT IIITT!
    09-15-12 08:56 PM
    Tell ya truth I'd be happy with some more function over any app.
    09-15-12 09:09 PM
    There are all sorts of apps that can work well on a tablet (photo editing with layers, audio and video editing, mind mapping, text editing with Markdown, ANY standalone video chat app, doesn't have to be Skype - chat only with other PlayBook users doesn't cut it) - and yes, Skype, Kindle, and Netflix are important.

I like that hardware a lot, it is still competitive with other tablets long after its introduction, and I like the OS, but it is still severely limited by the software.

The statement that most iOS apps are junk is absolutely meaningless. There are enough iOS apps that 95% could be junk (which isn't true) and there would still be many good to great apps. How many good apps there are is ultimately what matters.
    09-15-12 09:35 PM
    I function at work with my phone and PlayBook. The task list is just that a list, however I have downloaded a very good task app. My phone is my primary data input device. The bridge is seamless integration into my PlayBook. I use the memo functionality as more of a very detailed notepad. The calendar operates fine, and integrates with both my company and personal one. Btw, my personal computer is an imac. I am always looking for productivity apps that are better then the one I am currently working with, sometimes I find one, sometimes I don't look because the one I have is fine. I consume huge amounts of media and actually find I am much better informed as of late. I was thinking that this thread would perhaps open a more detailed and productive exchange about what apps are popular and what they actually do. I didn't obviously word my initial comments properly. I apologize.
    09-15-12 09:36 PM
    Not really, blaming a company's short coming on everything except the company is silly imo. The playbook is an okay tablet; the negatives out way the positives and the market recognizes that.
    Outweigh?
    09-15-12 09:37 PM
    That's been going on for a while. I was "most improved new defensive player" in the 80's.

I don't expect nor need my tablet to do everything my PC can do. The PB browser works good for surfing. I can listen to sirius without an app. I can do my banking without an app. I do everything I need to do with the browser. Even better, I can do it all via bridge without any tethering fees. I'm content.
    I think too many are trying too simulate a desktop experience on a tablet. Technology isn't there yet in my opinion.
    +10000

I'm with you! With everything it can do through the browser, why do I we need a bazillion apps for everything. I too bank through the browser which works awesome. But for when i do need apps, I use conqu and groovy notes to help me stay organized at work, Globe news and the score apps for latest news and sports, Picshop and touchup pro for photo editing, TV links for watching any tv, My file manager, files and folders, nexus, bluebox for syncing and storing files, money plus for financial tracking, nagagno maps and compas for navigation, 3 cube for music player, slacker radio, Nasa tv which is a great app plus more then enough games to help kill time. So for me PlayBook has and does everything I need right now, especially with the 2.1.840 beta. And once I can download BB10 on it, it's going to really rock..
    Last edited by kozmo68; 09-15-12 at 09:43 PM.
    09-15-12 09:41 PM
    Apps???

How about some basic functionality?

Like email that works (with full IMAP implementation?
    09-15-12 09:52 PM
    Outweigh?

Yikes, thanks... I usually catch all my grammatical errors...(English isn't my 1st language)
    09-15-12 09:59 PM
    +10000

I'm with you! With everything it can do through the browser, why do I we need a bazillion apps for everything. I too bank through the browser which works awesome. But for when i do need apps, I use conqu and groovy notes to help me stay organized at work, Globe news and the score apps for latest news and sports, Picshop and touchup pro for photo editing, TV links for watching any tv, My file manager, files and folders, nexus, bluebox for syncing and storing files, money plus for financial tracking, nagagno maps and compas for navigation, 3 cube for music player, slacker radio, Nasa tv which is a great app plus more then enough games to help kill time. So for me PlayBook has and does everything I need right now, especially with the 2.1.840 beta. And once I can download BB10 on it, it's going to really rock..
    Im with that I will add 1 to the equation FLASH FLASH FLISH
    kozmo68 likes this.
    09-15-12 10:04 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD