Even though PlayBook users/owners will not be able to install #BB10 as most know by now, this 7" tablet is not worthless by any means.

I use my PlayBook every day anywhere & anytime, either grabbing a coffee at Tim's, snapping pics (with their amazing camera/HD video).
    I get a ton of people commenting how clear & sharp the playback quality is, then there's video chat.

I've been having a hoot chatting with my friends & family, and let's say 1-2 more years down the road, will it really matter if it's not the latest & greatest tab out in the market today?

Who cares....seriously!

Just enjoy for what it can do now, even if it may be currently limited due to the PlayBook locked bootloader, it still has many options available at our disposal.
    Thank you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-19-13 01:03 PM
    Well this is quite a change of tone from your OP when you mention rooting it...
    Not at all. My question as in first post is still same - "Are there any future uses that the PB might be capable of? Seem a shame to waste a good piece of hardware with a great screen".

I explained how I extended useful life of Nokia GPS because some bright guys figured a technological way of doing it. I keep my old cars running because the company that built them still supports them with parts and technical documentation. I still use Windows XP because someone built an interface that will connect to my car's OBD port. We had an Apple 2e for many many years that had all sorts of add-ons that original designers never dreamed of.

This is kind of thing I was looking toward.

Unfortunately BB won't likely support the PB for long with parts and repairs, but perhaps an aftermarket will develop. I was able to buy aftermarket repair parts for my HP iPaq many years after it was abandoned by HP.

As I said in first post, i don't even understand what rooting is. But if that gave hobbyists access that would overcome some of the PBs deficiencies, that would be a good thing .

As it is, we will continue to use the PB as-is even with it's limitations (we have two). But I hope in time bright people will come up with some improvements and new uses that we all can share.
    07-19-13 08:01 PM
    Wifi radio. I keep it on the charging stand and the thing is great to listen to music or other stations using Nobex radio. For better sound just attach speakers through the earphone jack.
    Slacker radio and shoutcast.com..... Also, I have a few webcast stations bookmarked.
    07-19-13 08:08 PM
    I can do most everything I want to on it at the minute but I would like to be able to use it for remote control of my home cinema system. Some chance of that happening now.
    07-20-13 07:02 AM
    I just got a small update!
    When I re-powered my Playbook it came up with a "You been had" requester and stopped.
    Looks good as a doorstop and everybody that walks by.... notices.
    07-21-13 02:45 PM
    I just got a small update!
    When I re-powered my Playbook it came up with a "You been had" requester and stopped.
    Looks good as a doorstop and everybody that walks by.... notices.
    What else could we use the Playbook for?-no_trolls_allowed_by_acla13-d3l875z.jpg
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    07-21-13 09:08 PM
    I use mine to listen to streaming radio. The quality of sound from the built in speakers is not bad, even better if you plug into a sound system.
    07-24-13 12:32 AM
    I use mine as a hand warmer
    Just open any app and profit.
    07-24-13 01:42 AM
    My current car does not have Bluetooth capability on stereo. But, I am looking at a new car, so wondered if anyone had paired their PB with car stereo via Bluetooth.
    07-24-13 09:17 AM
    Don't toss out your old phone.

It will still bridge and the remote control will still work.

I watch amazon prime and crackle on it and use my old torch as a remote.
    07-24-13 10:54 AM
    I have one that I use daily for web, ereader, email, etc and a second one that is an entertainment brain in my car plus a trip computer used in conjunction with the Torque app It will always have HDMI (which runs to my headrest monitors for the kiddos) and will continue to work with the Torque app for a long time... so I do see myself still using it in 2 years.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    FF22 likes this.
    07-24-13 11:06 AM
    Paperweight

douevenCB10?
    07-24-13 11:07 AM
    Paperweight

douevenCB10?
    Give you five bucks for it.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    07-24-13 11:57 AM
    Give you five bucks for it.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I bid $5.25
    07-24-13 12:29 PM
    Turning lemons into lemonade: I leave my Playbook in its charging dock and watch training videos on Lynda.com
    07-24-13 01:57 PM
    I bid $5.25
    $5.50 and a can of ginger ale.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    07-24-13 01:58 PM
    I have one that I use daily for web, ereader, email, etc and a second one that is an entertainment brain in my car plus a trip computer used in conjunction with the Torque app It will always have HDMI (which runs to my headrest monitors for the kiddos) and will continue to work with the Torque app for a long time... so I do see myself still using it in 2 years.

What else can you tell about that Torque app? My friend has a 1998 Suburu and I've a 2000 Subaru. Would this diagnose or show the reason for the Check Engine light? I see they mention a wifi contraption available from Amazon. I am far from a "car" guy! Cars were not the IN thing when I was growing up in the Bronx. I think my question goes okay with the broad intention of this thread.
    07-24-13 02:29 PM
    $5.50 and a can of ginger ale.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Will take no more then 1 litre

douevenCB10?
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    07-24-13 02:30 PM
    ok $5.51, a litre of proper ale and a bendy straw.
    Djlatino likes this.
    07-24-13 03:52 PM

Torque is a great idea- I didn't know it existed?! What wifi Dongle are you using?
    FF22 likes this.
    07-24-13 03:55 PM
    I'm gonna keep it by the door and use it to fend off burglars. Although if it moves as slow when I'm throwing it as it does when I'm using any of the apps, I'm afraid my home won't be very safe.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 04:04 PM
    I am using my Playbook as a bedside alarm clock and occasional bedtime web surfer.

I have the charging craddle, backup BAR of my paid alarm clock app and alls good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    07-24-13 04:09 PM
    I continue to use mine as a premium media player, browser (using Origami Browser), and Remote Desktop for the stuff on my PC.

I just sold a 32G unit to a friend, and her kid found over a dozen games on BlackBerry World that he loves, so this thing has a lot of life left!!!

Let's keep Rockin' it!
    07-25-13 03:03 AM
    Torque is a great idea- I didn't know it existed?! What wifi Dongle are you using?
    I have Torque on my Android phone. Bluetooth paired with a cheap OBDII reader purchased from Amazon. BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER : Amazon.com : Automotive
    That unit is currently unavailable but there are others out there. It works great! I have diagnosed problems on three different cars and can clear trouble codes once the problem is fixed. This is a big money saver when you only have a bad O2 sensor.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-25-13 05:42 AM
    I have Torque on my Android phone. Bluetooth paired with a cheap OBDII reader purchased from Amazon. BAFX Products (TM) - BLUETOOTH - OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER - CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER : Amazon.com : Automotive
    That unit is currently unavailable but there are others out there. It works great! I have diagnosed problems on three different cars and can clear trouble codes once the problem is fixed. This is a big money saver when you only have a bad O2 sensor.
    Apparently, the bluetooth model does not work with the Playbook (I don't know about bb10 phones). But as posted above, there's also a wifi adapter that would work. I don't do much car repair or diagnosis but I can see it could be good to be able to determine what the engine check light is about on my own. I have to dive under my dash today and see if I can find the socket!
    07-25-13 08:45 AM
83 1234