OK - I know some of you would like to make some funny suggestions, but I would like some serious ideas from those with strong tech background.

Are there any future uses that the PB might be capable of? Seem a shame to waste a good piece of hardware with a great screen.

I don't understand that Rootin stuff, but I guess this is what those guys are aiming at.
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 07-18-13 at 07:18 PM.
    07-18-13 06:57 PM
    How about: All the same things people have been using it for? It's not like the lack of BB10 bricked the device. It still works (but don't get me started on the creeping bugs that cloud and should be fixed).

Rooting is getting administrator access to the OS, allowing the user to do things he would normally be forbidden to. It can't be done on Tablet OS 2.1.

Some people seem to be working on porting other OS' by cracking the bootloader. We can only wait and see what comes out of that.
    07-18-13 07:58 PM
    Wifi radio. I keep it on the charging stand and the thing is great to listen to music or other stations using Nobex radio. For better sound just attach speakers through the earphone jack.
    07-18-13 08:39 PM
    OK - I know some of you would like to make some funny suggestions, but I would like some serious ideas from those with strong tech background.g at.
    Dammit

I would like to install Ubuntu phone on it.
    madman0141 likes this.
    07-18-13 08:50 PM
    Media player/streamer connected to HDTV
    Ereader
    Portable gaming device
    Internet Browser (yes, yes...I know...the checkerboard)
    HD Video camera

As was said earlier...everything it's being used for up to now.
    07-18-13 08:54 PM
    Using PB for what we use it for now is OK for a while, and I am sure we all will. But what happens down the road? say 2 years from now? One thing, the battery will be weaker and that may require a replacement or if expensive, perhaps just running on A/C. Apps will lack support, OS will be well out of date and hardware repairs difficult or expensive.

I have two legacy devices here:

An iPaq 3570 PPC (2002 vintage) It still works well. It has an accessory back that has two CF slots. A CF GPS card (Sirf III) plugs in one slot and it has an SD slot for additional expansion. The back has a battery to supplement the iPaq battery. Both are on weak side and only last for about 2 hrs.This unit can do most things the PB does, some better. I used it as an eReader until I got the PB. It works well for marine and car navigation, but software and maps for both have not been updated for years. Using it for email or web browsing is possible, but screen is small, software keyboard requires a pick and so on. A very well made device, but it would be hard to give it away. I envision the PB going the same way.

A Nokia 500 GPS.

This unit died before it left the starting gate. No sooner had Nokia released it, they decided to stop all support and issued no software or map updates. The hardware is excellent and it has an SD slot which allows it to play music and videos. It is Bluetooth capable and can act as a hands free for most cell phones. But the very bad software and maps rendered it unusable. However, we still use it! Some bright guys found out how to unlock it and access the WINCE OS. They then were able to load various types of software on this unit (or on the SD card). I found a free gps mapping program that works very well but now needs updated maps. At least I have so far had 5 years of use.
    Banco likes this.
    07-18-13 09:49 PM
    Anyone still using a PlayBook two years from now, considering how fast technology moves and how cheap hardware ia getting, would either be too broke to care or too dumb to upgrade.

EDIT: in all fairness, I should add "uses the PlayBook as a secondary device that complements maybe a smartphone and is happy with how the combo works".

And this comes from an early adopter that still uses his PlayBook daily.

Two years. That would make the PlayBook 4 years old. Do we really wanna keep hardware that old when Galaxy Tab 9s, Nexus 6s and iPad 5s (and maybe even a few BlackBerry tablets) are available?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 10:41 PM
    Anyone still using a PlayBook two years from now, considering how fast technology moves and how cheap hardware ia getting, would either be too broke to care or too dumb to upgrade.

EDIT: in all fairness, I should add "uses the PlayBook as a secondary device that complements maybe a smartphone and is happy with how the combo works".

Two years. That would make the PlayBook 4 years old. Do we really wanna keep hardware that old when Galaxy Tab 9s, Nexus 6s and iPad 5s (and maybe even a few BlackBerry tablets) are available?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but let me ask you this....if we can still find some good use out of our PB after 4 years, I think that says something...don't you think?

07-18-13 10:50 PM
    Yes, but let me ask you this....if we can still find some good use out of our PB after 4 years, I think that says something...don't you think?

That is a good little tablet as it is.

You will always be able to video chat PB/BB10 users with it, for once.

Don't get me wrong guys. I use my PlayBook daily. I have it paired with my Z10. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

But in two years I don't think it will be the only tablet in the house (or it may be.... difficult to see, dark side future makes... hmmmm).

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 11:37 PM
    That is a good little tablet as it is.

You will always be able to video chat PB/BB10 users with it, for once.

Don't get me wrong guys. I use my PlayBook daily. I have it paired with my Z10. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

But in two years I don't think it will be the only tablet in the house (or it may be.... difficult to see, dark side future makes... hmmmm).

Posted via CB10
    Technology changes pretty quick these days...
    07-19-13 12:02 AM
    You can always have state of the art gear, if you're willing to live in the past.
    07-19-13 07:37 AM
    You can always have state of the art gear, if you're willing to live in the past.
    I know! My dream is to travel back to the 80s and have the most advanced phone ever until I catch up with 2013!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 07:49 AM

Why do we always have to have the latest and newest of everything? It's the Apples and BBs that have brainwashed us into thinking that.

I have several cars. The newest is 15 yrs old. Another is over 40 yrs old. They run well and are arguably better than current models with latest technology.

My laptop uses Win7. I have no desire for Win8 replacement. I have an XP desktop that still works fine, although only used for tasks that only run on XP.

I would love to see an update for PB. But if not, find a use for it long term as is. Most likely as ereader. If it didn't hibernate in 5 min, I could use it as chart plotter gps on boat. If it ran Skype, it would be more useful
    Barracuda7772 and castoridae like this.
    07-19-13 09:49 AM
    Why do we always have to have the latest and newest of everything? It's the Apples and BBs that have brainwashed us into thinking that.

I have several cars. The newest is 15 yrs old. Another is over 40 yrs old. They run well and are arguably better than current models with latest technology.

My laptop uses Win7. I have no desire for Win8 replacement. I have an XP desktop that still works fine, although only used for tasks that only run on XP.

I would love to see an update for PB. But if not, find a use for it long term as is. Most likely as ereader. If it didn't hibernate in 5 min, I could use it as chart plotter gps on boat. If it ran Skype, it would be more useful
    Well this is quite a change of tone from your OP when you mention rooting it...

As it is, it can be used for all the things it could already be used for... for as long as the battery can hold. And then some plugged to a wall socket (I personally have the charger behind the TV, as I am constantly using HDMI+Bridge).

What was the point of this the? I am lost.
    Shantanu Gupta likes this.
    07-19-13 10:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Alternatively, some people actually prefer to utilize a device until it physically dies. Just because you buy into the "disposable" society concept doesn't mean we all do. As long at it still performs the functions required of it and keep running, I will use my PlayBook until it can no longer be revived.
    Dominic Hagan likes this.
    07-19-13 10:59 AM
    Although my portable office setup (9810 + Bridge) is no longer sufficiently functional with my Z10 + Bridge, I still use my PB as a home juke-box. Hooked up to my stereo with the Music Gateway keeps the tunes pumping when sitting out on the back deck
    07-19-13 11:12 AM
    OK - I know some of you would like to make some funny suggestions, but I would like some serious ideas from those with strong tech background.

Are there any future uses that the PB might be capable of? Seem a shame to waste a good piece of hardware with a great screen.

I don't understand that Rootin stuff, but I guess this is what those guys are aiming at.
    Truthfully not being funny. You could use the Playbook in a Software development training course to show how to really duff up a very good hardware device. How to fail in the software development process and since you are not technically savvy enough how to make excuses to your clients as to why you cannot deliver.
    07-19-13 11:26 AM
    Batteries don't last forever. Two years from now if anyone is still using their Playbooks they will probably be using them while they are plugged into their charger. If modders come up with a way to install another OS that would be great, but I don't hold much hope of this happening.
    07-19-13 11:36 AM
    You can use it to make ipad owners jealous :banghead::banghead::banghead:
    madman0141 likes this.
    07-19-13 11:44 AM
    You can use it to make ipad owners jealous :banghead::banghead::banghead:
    Unfortunately its the iBeenHad users that are laughing.
    07-19-13 11:50 AM
    I think the final uses as stated by others would be a 64 gb media player, then change your email and log into CrackBerry as someone different. Why? Because you went and bought a new tablet after saying you wouldn't.
    07-19-13 12:22 PM
    Use it as intended. Mine has however survived an accidental trial as a slinky down the stairs. Not so much as a scratch on it. How many tablets could say that

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 12:37 PM
    Alternatively, some people actually prefer to utilize a device until it physically dies. Just because you buy into the "disposable" society concept doesn't mean we all do. As long at it still performs the functions required of it and keep running, I will use my PlayBook until it can no longer be revived.
    Did you really miss the part where I said I use my PlayBook daily? I just finished watching the latest hangout on it. Even better, scroll back up and read my 1st reply.

You sir, don't know me. Don't make assumptions. I am neither defending nor attacking anyone here.(And if you do want to know me, do PM! I'm always up for a friendly chat. ^^)

I think the final uses as stated by others would be a 64 gb media player, then change your email and log into CrackBerry as someone different. Why? Because you went and bought a new tablet after saying you wouldn't.
    So wait. Say, in 5 years, when the PlayBook can on longer hold a charge and needs to be constantly plugged to a wall socket, all of the people here that said they would not buy a new tablet will be held to their word and cast out?

C'mon... People buy what suits them. And if the old and tired PlayBook needs to retire... It more than deserved it with all the hardwork.

I will buy a new tablet whenever something I want comes out. Right now, I don't see why do it, but it is bound to happen, after all, I did upgrade from the 9780 to the Z10.

Use it as intended. Mine has however survived an accidental trial as a slinky down the stairs. Not so much as a scratch on it. How many tablets could say that

Posted via CB10
    Surely not my first PlayBook that fell flat on its face and went deaf and blind (the mic and camera were shot). But well, the free replace RIM (yep, still RIM then) sent has been treated far better. I learn from my mistakes and have never let my mum around it again.
    seamonky likes this.
    07-19-13 12:48 PM
    I use mine as an in-car dashcam. If I can get my hands on a second one, it will function as a "data terminal" of sorts with a Bluetooth keyboard, much like shown by the Chatham-Kent police car.

I also use an old Torch as a chest-mount bike cam. GoPro can suck it.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-19-13 12:53 PM
    Makes a great backgammon board when we go out to eat.

My wife's always giving me a hard time about bringing my PB with me everywhere. We went to see Grownups2 the other day so I didn't think I'd need it. We go out for food after the movie and she's like "You didn't bring the thing?"
    07-19-13 01:00 PM
83 123 ...