What do you recommend for a clear screen protector for the playbook?
12-17-11 04:25 PM
- I just applied the Targus brand and it's awful and fits poorly. I'm looking for one that dosn't have such a soft finish. This one really dulls the screen. It'd not listed as matt finish but it is.
The one I have installed:
Targus BlackBerry PlayBook™ Screen Protector | Staples
Last edited by Tajee001; 12-17-11 at 01:20 AM.12-17-11 01:08 AM
- I haven't tried but one, and it's the Zagg. You need to be very careful and exacting in the installation, but it's worth it in my opinion. Very strong, anti-glare and easy to clean. They warranty it and I know of two people that have received free replacements. I've been very impressed with mine, and NO BUBBLES!!12-17-11 02:16 AM
- Like many other users, I am using otter-box (made of tough plastic case cushioned by black silicon) come with plastic screen protector.
With regard to the plastic screen protector that you are concerned about, the touch screen works fine for me after installation of the screen protector that came with the otter-box. I chose this otter-box route after viewing a crazy video of a guy throwing up his PB encased in the otter-box 20 or 30 feet into the air like a football and the PB landed on concrete. Amazingly, the PB still works without a scratch! I was sold.
Also, the casing has a raised "nipple" directly above the PB on/off switch which makes switching on/off the PB a breeze
The downside of this otter-box - the tough protective layers makes the whole PB a bit bulky but IMO, I prefer maximum protection more than style.
Last edited by Ric01; 12-17-11 at 02:25 AM.12-17-11 02:23 AM
- I was going to say forget the protector and most other extra parts (like a charging stand and other cover) but SaltySnack beat me to it. The Otterbox has a built-in screen protector and it is much less of a grease magnet without compromise on touch (and I have problems with most touch screens). It also negates tbe need for a charging stand if you keep it upside down. I found one on eBay for $30 shipped and love it.12-17-11 02:29 AM
- 12-17-11 05:33 AM
- I'm glad you asked, if you're tired of greasy fingerprint smudges, and if your hand is squeeky clean and so is your screen, you'll quickly notice how your finger does NOT smoothly glide across a clean screen, instead, it will skitter or skip across the screen...enter SGP, a little known company here in the US, but well known and highly acclaimed in Japan, with a US headquarters in Los Angelas. I like a screen protector that will prevent scratches from an errant key, is tear proof, precisely laser cut for fit, reduce glare all while improving clarity and visibility, is fingerprint resistant, and oleophobic. It easily cleans with a moistened paper towel. I have them on my iPhone's and for the Playbook's. I use the ultra fine ultra series. Since their web site is currently having difficulties, they are being sold through Amazon. worldbanner.
Oh, and your finger will glide across the protected screen like it was a well lubed ball bearing, and leaving no streaks behind.12-17-11 06:44 AM
- i have yet to try them, still debating really, but i've heard some great things about Ghost Armor. I actually read a review on here that highly recommends them.
these are the 2 links for the 2 screens I am thinking of getting.12-17-11 07:06 AM
- Otter Box Defender series. Thats all you need. I bought mine for 29.99.You wont regret it. I bought my pb this summer and it looks like new. I only take it out of the case when i am home and the chance of dropping the pb is minimal.
I did drop my pb on a ceramic tiled floor from about Six feet by accident and the pb was fine. Still like new with no scratches.12-17-11 08:26 AM
- I started with Zagg, which i have always used on all my devices. Its an excellant screen protector, as mentioed above you have ti be czrefull putting it on!! recently there was a post regardkng Ghost Armour, so i thought i would give it a try. Both are very similar, but i find the ghost armour is a little smoother, less drag while swiping, and also seems to stay a little cleaner. i spent 28 on the Zagg from bestbuy , installed it myself....ghost armour was 30 installed at the mall kiosk....and in my opinion is an excellent chioce for the playbook!!
My wife has on from staples "no finverprints" which also stays very clean, but has a matte finish..... never see a spec of dirt..... but the clarity in the screen juzt isnt there like the zagg or ghost armour!!12-17-11 09:08 AM
- Zagg fan here too. I've read that there is a definite "break in" period for these screens and that in time they get much smoother. As far as clarity and touch sensitivity go I can't see any difference with or without. As for protection, the videos showing guys taking a dremel to the screen are quite convincing. I own several dremel products and even if they are using a soapstone wheel this cover is still awesome protection. I want to be able to hand my PB to the kids and not have to stress them out too much
I love the otterbox defender on my phone and will be getting one for PB when i need to take it to work.12-17-11 12:01 PM
- I also recommend Otterbox. However, I removed the screen protector portion of my OB. Very easy, it will just peel off.
So now when transporting my PB, i use the front cover/convertible stand that comes with the OB to protect the screen. When I want to use my PB I just remove the frony cover and I'm good to go with the naked PB screen. I keep a piece of microfiber cloth tucked between the front cover and PB screen to use for wiping my greasy fingerprints off.12-17-11 12:56 PM
- I have a Zagg on my first PB and now my second one. The install is fairly easy, just take some patience and time to get it all aligned right. The feel is a bit tacky, but the protection it provides is worth the slight reduction is feel. Nothing will beat the naked feel of the screen. I used what other have suggested, Meguries PlastiX (for automotive headlights, plastic restoration) And it helped a bit, but it is still a bit tacky. After installing the protector you have to wait at least a few hours before powering on the device. I waited 24hr and all smaller bubbles worked itself out and it was ready to be used. Some bubbles might require a few more days, but with the Zaggs I have installed, usually all bubbles are out in 24hrs.
However on my GF's PB I decided to try a different screen protector. i opted for the Bodyguardz wet install screen protector (installs like the Zagg). Though the fit is not as exact as the Zagg with it being a little smaller all around around the edges, the feel is much smoother and less orange peel when looking at both screen protectors. The colors also seem a bit brighter and the screen has a less "yellow" hue (But this could be a difference in the LCD screen itself, but I have heard of the yellowing effect on Zagg protector) Also they offer lifetime replacements for ANY REASON, even install error...which on the Zagg policy says it does not cover. And it was a bit cheaper than the Zagg as well. With the Bodyguards the cure time seemed a bit longer, it took the playbook a full 2 days to work out some larger bubbles, but on day 3 it was immaculate, all bubbles worked itself out and looked perfect. If you have installed a Zagg protector before you might freak out a bit at first, because there are bubbles every where (unlike the Zagg where you can pretty much get 95% of all bubbles out) But trust me they work themselves out after a day or two.
In the end I think overall the bodyguards is a better protector in the sense that the diplay looked better and smoother. I mean you can't really go wrong with either.12-17-11 01:21 PM
They fit perfectly to the screen but have no cutouts for the speakers. This doesn't appear to affect the sound and helps keep the tiny speaker grills clean. Installation goes well, as I. have construction worker hands and need >2.00 reading glasses. The adhesive is less agressive than other brands and bubbling isn't a major problem, what little you get push right out. I use them on my phones too and they do take a beating. Highly recommended. as a comparison, the skinomi offers a good skin for the back but throw the screen protector away. I bought a 3 pack of GreatShield screen protectors for the VP, exact fit but real agressive adhesive which made for an interesting install and lots of large bubbles the are wearing out their welcome.
Last edited by Beakman; 12-17-11 at 03:29 PM.12-17-11 03:22 PM
- BlackBerry PlayBook Forums
- BlackBerry PlayBook
What do you recommend for a clear screen protector for the playbook?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD