Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By taz323
  • 1 Post By sputneek
  • 4 Post By BigAl_BB9900
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    314 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What do you guys use HDMI for?

Before I buy my HDMI cable for playbook can you guys tell me what do you guys use HDMI for? To watch movies on big screen, play games on big screen or is there any other?

I'm also trying to decide how long the cable I should purchase.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    12,267 Global Posts

Games,movies,search the Web all from my chair using my bb9930 as a remote, very nice feature.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Movies and internet, mostly Your cable? make sure it reaches the couch
    I needed a 10 footer and it works fine.
    What's in a world?
    Heavens1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,242 Global Posts

Streaming movies. I also use it for presentations. The hdmi eliminates the need for a lot of different hook ups that other offices might have. I use the video camera at my grandchildren events and than they can watch themselves on a big screen. I have a 3' cable attached to my tv and a 6' that I keep with me with other things I need for on the go.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 04-28-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    I hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Addict

Hi Stark

I use HDMI for:
    • watching movies (mainly in hotel rooms - note: some hotels have locked their tv menus, so you can't access the 2nd HDMI port) - you need to save the movie in a high resolution to get a good picture on a big screen (eg the settings I generally use for ripping are: h264, 1280x720, Video BitRate: 2000Kbps, Audio BitRate: 256Kbps, FrameRate: 29.97)
    • presentations (usually PowerPoint, some PDFs and Word Docs) - usually using somebody else's Projector (eg office/clients) - the advantages of using the PlayBook for these presentations is that i) I don't have to lug around a laptop (I am disabled and have problems carting around a heavy laptop), & ii) I don't have to give the potential client the presentation files

Cable types/length/recommendation:

Cable length problem:
    • Don't know if there is an HDMI restriction on maximum length - have had a problem with one permanently-ceiling-mounted projector that already had a long HDMI cable plugged into it. Couldn't get it to work with my PlayBook, other people couldn't get it to work with their laptops. It worked fine on VGA mode with a laptop, as well as when the tech support guy stood on the table and plugged an HDMI laptop cable straight into it....

Hope this helps
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 04-28-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: editing
    BigAl_BB9900

devices:
    Q10 (SQN100-3) - EE (UK) - BB10 OS Software Release 10.2.1.3062 - BB10 OS Version 10.2.1.3442
    PlayBook 64Gb - 2.1.0.1917 (and another spare PB 64Gb)
    and a Doro PhoneEasy 622 for everytime the Q10/EE4G knacks up or I have to take the really strong back tablets.... (btw Doro make great simple big-button handsets for seniors and for those of us with reduced feeling in our fingertips.....)
    Thanked by:
    aznspiki (04-28-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

25 ft. HDMI from a TV to an area near my desk where I can plug either my PC or Playbook into. Slide shows of grandkids, old TV shows, etc. PC outperforms the Playbook.
    CrackBerry Genius

Movies, games, and some web browsing. On a 50 inch screen the web looks amazing. Only use a 3 foot cable for the simple fact that I have a BB phone and can use the bridged remote feature from my couch. Sometimes its a PITA using remote, but it gets the job done.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->

Quote Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
    Movies, games, and some web browsing. On a 50 inch screen the web looks amazing. Only use a 3 foot cable for the simple fact that I have a BB phone and can use the bridged remote feature from my couch. Sometimes its a PITA using remote, but it gets the job done.
    Something like modern combat would be a pita using remote too
    Last edited by sputneek; 04-28-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    What's in a world?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Watching movies, browsing, even reading books watching live streams
    CrackBerry Abuser

With DVI Adapter, connect to 27" digital monitor next to easy chair.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    288f0ab0

It's great for connecting to the tv for movies. Try HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!, I picked up a 15ft cord for about 7$. Not a bad cord for the price.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    648 Global Posts
    PIN

do all games work over bridge?
    or only a select few?
    what games do you HDMI out and play via remote?
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,241 Global Posts

netflix

oh wait.................
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview

We don't BEND, WE BLEND #TeamBlackBerry
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fubaz View Post
    netflix

oh wait.................
    I see what you did there.
    BlackBerry Z30 Running 10.3.1.1151
    Twitter: @ShawnRussell
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

I use the HDMI for all my retro gaming! Using the emulators, I can use the PB as the controller and look at the big screen to play Super Nintendo, or Playstation ect.
    I'm here to help and learn. I will not participate in mudslinging or arguing in any form. Be nice to each other.

Check out my Tumblr which contains photos taken exclusively with the BlackBerry Playbook and follow me!

"Quit that. Pay attention."
    CrackBerry Abuser

Nothing... My HDMI out doesn't work.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,257 Global Posts
    PIN
    K. 27F3DC2E put cb in request

Then go and make your HDMI work.
    gee gee baby~
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by byul View Post
    Then go and make your HDMI work.
    Thanks for your helpful and constructive post. There's a problem with the actual playbook hardware and this being my 3rd playbook with problems, I refused to allow them to hold $500 from me for yet another few weeks while I waited for my 4th replacement. I have tried to search for solutions plenty of times and I even have a thread here.
    Bold 9900
    16GB Playbook

Global Posts
    32,135 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Runs with Scissors"

I purchased the 15ft cables for use with the PB. Don't have to worry that way about reaching the couch!
    CB 5K 50K,100K 500K Challenge Thread