What do you guys use HDMI for?
Before I buy my HDMI cable for playbook can you guys tell me what do you guys use HDMI for? To watch movies on big screen, play games on big screen or is there any other?
I'm also trying to decide how long the cable I should purchase.
- 04-28-2012, 06:59 AM #4
Streaming movies. I also use it for presentations. The hdmi eliminates the need for a lot of different hook ups that other offices might have. I use the video camera at my grandchildren events and than they can watch themselves on a big screen. I have a 3' cable attached to my tv and a 6' that I keep with me with other things I need for on the go.
Last edited by Hgouck; 04-28-2012 at 07:03 AM.I hope this helps.
- CrackBerry Addict
04-28-2012, 07:13 AM #5
- 534 Posts
I use HDMI for:
- watching movies (mainly in hotel rooms - note: some hotels have locked their tv menus, so you can't access the 2nd HDMI port) - you need to save the movie in a high resolution to get a good picture on a big screen (eg the settings I generally use for ripping are: h264, 1280x720, Video BitRate: 2000Kbps, Audio BitRate: 256Kbps, FrameRate: 29.97)
- presentations (usually PowerPoint, some PDFs and Word Docs) - usually using somebody else's Projector (eg office/clients) - the advantages of using the PlayBook for these presentations is that i) I don't have to lug around a laptop (I am disabled and have problems carting around a heavy laptop), & ii) I don't have to give the potential client the presentation files
- I have had the least grief (and sharpest picture) with the HDMI cables that have the fabric style covering - eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r-21&m1k=vb_cb
- I also have various HDMI extension cables - eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r-21&m1k=vb_cb
- Also you may need an HDMI Joiner/Coupler - eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r-21&m1k=vb_cb - this is important if the client's projector just has an HDMI lead coming out of it, but the lead isn't long enough for where you want to stand
Cable length problem:
- Don't know if there is an HDMI restriction on maximum length - have had a problem with one permanently-ceiling-mounted projector that already had a long HDMI cable plugged into it. Couldn't get it to work with my PlayBook, other people couldn't get it to work with their laptops. It worked fine on VGA mode with a laptop, as well as when the tech support guy stood on the table and plugged an HDMI laptop cable straight into it....
Hope this helps
Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 04-28-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: editingBigAl_BB9900
Q10 (SQN100-3) - EE (UK) - BB10 OS version 10.2.1.1925
PlayBook 64Gb - 126.96.36.1994 (and another spare PB 64Gb)
and a new Doro PhoneEasy 622 for everytime the new Q10/EE4G knacks up.... (btw Doro make great simple big-button handsets for seniors and for those of us with reduced feeling in our fingertips.....)
- 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM #7
Movies, games, and some web browsing. On a 50 inch screen the web looks amazing. Only use a 3 foot cable for the simple fact that I have a BB phone and can use the bridged remote feature from my couch. Sometimes its a PITA using remote, but it gets the job done.Cell Phone History:Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10
If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
- CrackBerry User
04-28-2012, 10:35 AM #11
- 27 Posts
It's great for connecting to the tv for movies. Try HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!, I picked up a 15ft cord for about 7$. Not a bad cord for the price.
- 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM #15
I use the HDMI for all my retro gaming! Using the emulators, I can use the PB as the controller and look at the big screen to play Super Nintendo, or Playstation ect.I'm here to help and learn. I will not participate in mudslinging or arguing in any form. Be nice to each other.
Check out my Tumblr which contains photos taken exclusively with the BlackBerry Playbook and follow me!
"Quit that. Pay attention."
- CrackBerry Abuser
04-28-2012, 03:24 PM #18Bold 9900
- 301 Posts