I am on 1710 with updated Poynt (1.0.5) and my GPS is plainly not working. I have tried the compass app and it doesn't work. I have tried an app called TrueSpeed and it doesn't work.

All of these apps require the GPS to function.

I know some have said that the GPS is one of those "its coming later" things, but I don't want to be stuck with a defective unit beyond the return period if my GPS is actually broken.

Some have said their GPS works. Are you sure it isn't just getting cell or wifi position through your BB? How do you KNOW it works?
    04-25-11 09:41 AM
    Did you really feel that creating a new thread on this topic would give you more information than what is already in the other ones? Just curious...
    04-25-11 09:43 AM
    Mine is not either. I'm in the same boat, don't want to get stuck with a unit and the gps doesn't work. I have tried all the same apps and still nothing.
    04-25-11 09:43 AM
    Did you really feel that creating a new thread on this topic would give you more information than what is already in the other ones? Just curious...
    Thanks for adding to the discussion.

None of the other topics addressed the question - why do some people think their GPS is working?

According to the RIM 800 number customer service (what a joke) the GPS function is not yet available. I can't get it to work at all on mine. Nevertheless, some people seem to have claimed that their works, and I believe they might be mistaken; either confusing wifi or cell location with an actual GPS lock.

The real problem will come if this is not fixed in another few weeks. Most, if not all, retailers have a 30 day return policy. If I can't determine whether or not my GPS hardware is working properly, I will have to return (and probably rebuy) my unit. What a pain.

I bought this expecting certain advertised functionality. Now it seems much of that is "coming later" - whenever "later" is. At some point in the next couple of weeks I (we) will need to make a decision if the product in our hands is sufficient for the price we paid. I, for one, expected GPS, Skype and Kindle apps - the latter of which was a MAJOR selling point (and I would have probably just bought an ipad2 if I had known there would not be a Kindle app for the PB). There is no question in my mind that there are some pretty serious false advertising claims to be made here - if anyone had the interest in taking that on. I'm a lawyer, and I don't have that interest. Not yet anyway.
    04-25-11 10:06 AM
    I'm tethered to my phone and I'm at my job in an area inside the building with no windows where I usually can not get a GPS signal from my phone and I can not get a location from poynt or bing maps so it's not using the cell towers. When I'm outside or by a window, I can get a location sometimes.
    04-25-11 11:13 AM
    Poynt is the reason the GPS isnt working in the app. 1.03 had completely fine GPS. Since I upgraded to 1.05, I have lost the ability to use GPS. Just wait until they update it.
    04-25-11 11:21 AM
    Poynt is the reason the GPS isnt working in the app. 1.03 had completely fine GPS. Since I upgraded to 1.05, I have lost the ability to use GPS. Just wait until they update it.
    Have you tried any of the other GPS apps? Compass? Do they work?
    04-25-11 12:50 PM
    my Poynt picks up my GPS location no problem
    04-25-11 12:55 PM
    Thanks for adding to the discussion.

None of the other topics addressed the question - why do some people think their GPS is working?

According to the RIM 800 number customer service (what a joke) the GPS function is not yet available. I can't get it to work at all on mine. Nevertheless, some people seem to have claimed that their works, and I believe they might be mistaken; either confusing wifi or cell location with an actual GPS lock.

The real problem will come if this is not fixed in another few weeks. Most, if not all, retailers have a 30 day return policy. If I can't determine whether or not my GPS hardware is working properly, I will have to return (and probably rebuy) my unit. What a pain.

I bought this expecting certain advertised functionality. Now it seems much of that is "coming later" - whenever "later" is. At some point in the next couple of weeks I (we) will need to make a decision if the product in our hands is sufficient for the price we paid. I, for one, expected GPS, Skype and Kindle apps - the latter of which was a MAJOR selling point (and I would have probably just bought an ipad2 if I had known there would not be a Kindle app for the PB). There is no question in my mind that there are some pretty serious false advertising claims to be made here - if anyone had the interest in taking that on. I'm a lawyer, and I don't have that interest. Not yet anyway.
    is the kindle app no longer being developed? i heard in sept that there would be one at launch and keep hoping today will be the day. is there news i missed?
    04-25-11 12:58 PM
    My GPS worked until 1710, and I did not have Poynt installed.

Bing was able to pinpoint my location in my backyard. It couldn't have been a cell signal as my phone was not bridged at the time, and the GPS unit in my phone is never turned on. At best, on my phone with the GPS unit off, cell triangulation has never had me closer than a couple hundred yards of my house using either Bing or Google. So the location it gave me had to have been GPS.

Once I upgraded to 1710 it just tells me that its trying to determine my location.

I installed Poynt yesterday, and still nothing.
    04-25-11 01:20 PM
    I just turned off the bridge connection for my 9650. Bing found my home (second floor of a shingled-roof home).

How can it use wifi to find my location? My router does not have any gps or other locational info that I'm aware of????

I have not tried any other gps-dependent app as of yet.
    04-25-11 04:23 PM
    went and played with the playbook for another 15 minutes today at BB. I want to test the GPS specifically. tried it on the PB and BING and it came back and said that location couldnt be found. Tried the Galaxy tab and the xoom and both found the location within about 10 seconds. There is something wrong with GPS for sure. it might night be turned on for all i know. build was 1710 btw
    04-25-11 04:50 PM
    I just tested my PB with .1710 with Poynt, FourPlay, and Bing. They all located my position, rather accurately even while indoors, within 3 seconds. I am bridged to my 9330. Take from that what you will!
    04-25-11 04:58 PM
    Nevertheless, some people seem to have claimed that their works, and I believe they might be mistaken; either confusing wifi or cell location with an actual GPS lock..
    I have 1710 ...
    GPS maps works correctly in New York City
    with the same resolution as with the BB phone GPS.
    Poynt also works correctly

Honestly, I don't care where the PB gets it's signal .. either cell towers or satellite are OK with me.
    Perhaps if there are not enough cell towers to triangulate it makes a difference .. but not here: there are cell towers every 1/2 mile or less
    Last edited by mandony; 04-25-11 at 05:44 PM.
    04-25-11 05:40 PM
    went and played with the playbook for another 15 minutes today at BB. I want to test the GPS specifically. tried it on the PB and BING and it came back and said that location couldnt be found. Tried the Galaxy tab and the xoom and both found the location within about 10 seconds. There is something wrong with GPS for sure. it might night be turned on for all i know. build was 1710 btw
    Depending on the nature of the store (unless you moved outside), you will not get a gps reading. A metal or roof more dense than my shingle roof will interfere with gps signals. I don't know how those other units got a signal indoors.
    04-25-11 05:46 PM
    i agree with that, but when 2 other items get perfect lock and the PB none something just isnt right IMO
    04-25-11 05:52 PM
    indoors its not working to lock in on a location. i go outside and it locks on my home address quickly. my android devices lock in close on WiFi only but the PB seems to not be able to extract the data or what ever it should be doing.
    04-25-11 06:24 PM
    I'm developing a GPS app and have seen the GPS return geolocation events exactly once. It was quite accurate when it did as it had the current location to within 5m but its certainly not rock stable (on AIR) at least. I suspect this is why RIM is saying not yet supported.
    04-25-11 06:29 PM
    Okay, color me confused, but how does wifi permit a gps to get locational data. The pb gets its wifi from my router. Where is my router getting locational info?
    04-25-11 06:56 PM
    Maybe some PB's are getting GPS from their bb phones via the bridge?
    04-25-11 07:07 PM
    So, with no date plan, the GPS function works?
    04-25-11 07:18 PM
    my gps does not work at all. i stood outside with clear view of sky. bridge connected. bridge not connected. wifi on. wifi off. it sat for an hour. nothing.
    04-25-11 07:29 PM
    i'm with you...absolutely nothing. Tried everything i could think of too.
    04-25-11 07:32 PM
    mine seems to work fine but as howarmat said not as good as other xevices and i def think its software issues, bing is farther off than poynt.
    04-25-11 07:35 PM
    Alright. After some trial and error, I got my GPS working again.

Back story: my GPS worked fine until updating to 1710. And then it wasn't working at all.

Tonight I tried it in my house, and nothing, no lock, just wouldn't find me.

I tried shutting everything everything off, all the wireless connections and tried both Bing and Poynt. Still didn't work.

Out desperation, I restarted the PB. As soon as it booted up, with only a WiFi connection, I opened Bing. It took about 20 seconds, but it found me VERY accurately.

I closed Bing.

I turned on Bluetooth.

Opened Bing again, and nothing. Couldn't find me.

Tried it with the Bridge on. Again, nothing.

Even after shutting off the Bridge and the Bluetooth one at a time, the GPS wouldn't lock.

In short, my GPS works just fine as long I have no connection other than WiFi, or as long as I haven't had another wireless connection since a reboot.

However, I couldn't get it to work with Poynt at all.

I would ask for other people to give this a shot and see if works for them.

Update: An uninstall and reinstall of Poynt worked, but only if started before Bing. Both are currently working, but Bluetooth is still off.
    Last edited by Category 5; 04-25-11 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Update
    04-25-11 08:08 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD