Sorry you seem to be having bad luck with your current BBPB wall charger. But why not get another Blackberry Playbook charger preferably the rapid travel charger and not mess around with third party chargers? Some have reported success with battery such as New Trent models which are useful for at least one charge away from a power source.
    Last edited by jpash549; 12-25-12 at 11:21 PM.
    12-25-12 11:09 PM
    The problem is that I am going on a ten day camping trip, and I need a charger before I leave.
    12-25-12 11:42 PM
    Look for one that matches or best matches the specs for the official pb wall charger. In a pinch bb phone chargers might work if you leave it alone and are not trying to use it while charging. You need micro usb on the pb end of things - I had to see where you live for camping at this time of year, although in the past I did my fair share of snow camping and pulling a sled around Yellowstone!!!
    12-25-12 11:56 PM
    The genuine Blackberry travel charger would be the best option if you could get one...it also uses the magnetic contacts instead of the micro usb socket.
    12-26-12 12:40 AM
    Not sure where you are but suggest if you have a local store visit it with your PB and see if they can suggest and let you try a charger. Phone chargers usually only give 1.0 amps while the standard BBPB gives 1.8 amps so you are better off with a two amp charger. The charger cable will also require the data lines to be shorted. For use with the micro USB port the charger output should be 5 volts. If you are going to have a vehicle you may want a car charger. Use Crackberry search and you can find threads on all these questions fairly quickly. Suggest : car chargers, third party chargers etc. BTW what BBPB charger is it that smells funny? Some Apple chargers might work some say that the PB will not recognize them. Do you have an Apple wall charger and if so for what device and what are the specs.?
    12-26-12 01:29 AM
    Also one more warning on third party charging cords. As you know the BBPB has a type AB micro usb port and you plug the male in with the Blackberry symbol up as you face the screen. As you will notice the standard connector symbol is actually facing down. This is opposite from the way you would insert it in a standard micro USB port. So be careful and some have suggested marking with a dab of enamel to make it easier to remember. By the way what smelled funny? Mine did until I got all the cellophane off.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-26-12 02:03 AM
    If you get a charge only micro cable most other non bb charges will work, albeit slowly if less than one amp.
    12-26-12 03:02 AM