I am looking at a used Curve 9360 so decided to check it out a review of it on techradar.com. They noted it's not too swift in the web browing, taking "a staggering 27 seconds" to load the techradar page 'from the second we pressed return on the address bar until the last vestige of that loading line had left our screen'".

That was on wifi, they said, so I decided to compare that with my PB. Whoops. It took a very staggering 38 seconds. My native email is also up to its old habits of crashing a few times a day, so I'll reboot, clear the caches, and try again, and post that number separately.
    09-09-12 07:16 PM
    After a reboot, clearing cache, launching techradar.com took 70 seconds, hardly an improvement. I have flash and javascript on but load images off. it's about 5:30 pm so I guess my hi-speed cable isn't at its fastest, but my laptop loaded the same page in about 4 seconds, maybe less. Loading techradar in a second tab was faster, 34 seconds, but then it was already in cache so I would expect a faster loading. All in all, I can't say I'm thoroughly impressed.
    09-09-12 07:27 PM
    It took me 14 seconds for it to fully load. With flash and java turned off, it took me 3 seconds.
    09-09-12 07:27 PM
    It only took my PlayBook 15 seconds to fully load the page just now and my pc clocked in at 13 seconds.

I'd be curious to see how the iPad and Galaxy Tab compare.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 09-09-12 at 07:39 PM.
    09-09-12 07:33 PM
    It took me 14 seconds for it to fully load. With flash and java turned off, it took me 3 seconds.
    25 seconds for me on playbook.
    9 seconds on ipad.

Both full loads.

But what is the point of this exactly? It's well known the Playbook browser isn't as fast as others out there. And the curve is no speedster either.
    09-09-12 07:35 PM
    Thought I'd give it a go....20 seconds on my Bold & 9 with java off.
    09-09-12 07:47 PM
    With image, flash and javascript off, it loadded in 3 seconds after clearing cache. Now that was impressive. Adding them all back after the page was loaded, the images appeared within 5-6 seconds. What does it all mean? Beats me, except not to have images and flash activated unless you need them.
    09-09-12 07:54 PM
    It's well known the Playbook browser isn't as fast as others out there.
    How did you come to this conclusion?
    09-09-12 08:01 PM
    How did you come to this conclusion?
    By using it? How else?
    09-09-12 08:16 PM
    By using it? How else?
    So. It is well known to you. And with you history of unbiasedness we should take it at face value?
    09-09-12 08:22 PM
    So. It is well known to you. And with you history of unbiasedness we should take it at face value?
    Do you follow me around? Honestly, you need a hobby.
    And you're definitely not one to talk about bias.

Check some comparisons of the playbook and other tablets. Even Crackberry did one where the playbook was slower than the iPad.
    09-09-12 08:27 PM
    9 seconds on ipad.

Both full loads.

But what is the point of this exactly? It's well known the Playbook browser isn't as fast as others out there. And the curve is no speedster either.
    Did you have flash enabled on your ipad?
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    09-09-12 09:12 PM
    .0002 seconds on my galaxy note.
    see i can make up numbers too.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-09-12 09:18 PM
    Did you have flash enabled on your ipad?
    Nope, and have it disabled on my Playbook. Is there a point you're trying to make, or can you just not handle facts? 25 seconds to load the page isn't bad, it's just not great. Not sure why people are getting so butthurt.
    09-09-12 09:25 PM
    9 seconds on ipad.

Both full loads.

I think I must have a defective Playbook.

12.7 seconds on my Playbook.
    12.6 seconds on my PC.

Techradar.com is not a good site to do comparisons on because of the number of ads that are served up. Timing the page load of a site whose content is being served up by many different servers in many different locations in varying combinations each time is not really valid for comparison.

Even with Flash and Javascript turned off, the page will not be completely loaded until the page content as well as all of the ads on the page are loaded. The content of the page will be constant, but the ads are all variable.

For static content pages being served up from one location, I generally expect load times on my Playbook of around 5000ms or less.
    Last edited by louzer; 09-09-12 at 10:54 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-09-12 10:51 PM
    I think I must have a defective Playbook.

12.7 seconds on my Playbook.
    12.6 seconds on my PC.

Techradar.com is not a good site to do comparisons on because of the number of ads that are served up. Timing the page load of a site whose content is being served up by many different servers in many different locations in varying combinations each time is not really valid for comparison.

Even with Flash and Javascript turned off, the page will not be completely loaded until the page content as well as all of the ads on the page are loaded. The content of the page will be constant, but the ads are all variable.

For static content pages being served up from one location, I generally expect load times on my Playbook of around 5000ms or less.
    Maybe...but you definitely have a defective or extremely old PC.

You're right about it being a terrible page choice for straight benchmarking, but it is a real-world usage scenario. Not that it matters, we're only testing the page that the OP was talking about.
    09-09-12 11:05 PM
    Maybe...but you definitely have a defective or extremely old PC.

You're right about it being a terrible page choice for straight benchmarking, but it is a real-world usage scenario. Not that it matters, we're only testing the page that the OP was talking about.
    It is an old PC. But I'm just saying that my expectation of complete page load times is tempered by sites like that (or even Crackberry.com for that matter) that can vary pretty dramatically from page load to page load based on what variable (ad) content is loaded and from where.
    09-09-12 11:25 PM
    7 secs - 9810 3G although it loaded the mobile version
    14 secs - PlayBook with Javascript and Flash enabled

Edit,, 12 secs - pc
    Last edited by varunsain; 09-10-12 at 08:59 AM.
    09-10-12 08:45 AM
    stop the name calling and personal stuff now or people will be finding themselves in the penalty box
    09-10-12 09:49 AM
    Just popped open another tab in pc and tried it out, it took less than a second to load. In fairness, that's with NoScript blocking most of the unnecessary extra bloated stuff. My PB took maybe 7 seconds, including the redirect to their US site.

How is it that techradar is any manner of testing standard, anyway?
    09-10-12 10:24 AM
    Just popped open another tab in pc and tried it out, it took less than a second to load. In fairness, that's with NoScript blocking most of the unnecessary extra bloated stuff. My PB took maybe 7 seconds, including the redirect to their US site.

How is it that techradar is any manner of testing standard, anyway?
    Just checking, what kind of Internet connection does your computer have? Wired or WiFi? Just asking because I've never managed to get <1 second load times on anything other than Google over WiFi, and the PlayBook must use WiFi.

Techradar is the testing standard here because the OP saw an article they did where they loaded up their website on a curve and it took a ridiculously long time, so the OP decided to test that out, and then it snowballed into... This.
    09-10-12 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD