I just connected my playbook with a new Dell bluetooth wireless mini travel mouse. Bluetooth in tools wanted a password, which I fortunately found on a youtube video. But there is an option in bluetooth to set it on "discoverable mode" - off, on, 2 minutes. I tried to turn it on and it wants a password. What is this function for, and how do we find a password??
    04-30-13 07:24 PM
    I think the default passwords for blue tooth is 0000

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 07:33 PM
    The initial pairing of any two BT devices should be done with both devices in discovery mode. It allows the devices to find each other. If a device has input capability, you can input a password to secure the connection. Say if you were in public and someone was trying to pair a device with someone else, but you were in range and happened to have BT on. If your device is not discoverable, you won't pair with it. Passwords/passcodes are usually simple 0000,1234, etc. Documentation should be included with devices but manufacturers are expecting you to go online to their websites to find any instruction manual.
    04-30-13 08:20 PM
    Some devices also have a "turn on sequence" that might differ from the ordinary method which places the device into Discoverable Mode. Most of my BT headphones have that - Press and HOLD the ON button or press two of its buttons and then the computer or phone or tablet can see it and pair with it. As noted, generally the tablet/etc also has to be placed in that discoverable mode.
    04-30-13 09:36 PM
    The initial pairing of any two BT devices should be done with both devices in discovery mode. It allows the devices to find each other. If a device has input capability, you can input a password to secure the connection. Say if you were in public and someone was trying to pair a device with someone else, but you were in range and happened to have BT on. If your device is not discoverable, you won't pair with it. Passwords/passcodes are usually simple 0000,1234, etc. Documentation should be included with devices but manufacturers are expecting you to go online to their websites to find any instruction manual.
    So, for example, if I want to 'just search" to see what other devices in my house my BBPB could pair with, would this be possible by entering discoverable mode 'on' and see what happens? For example, I currently have my company's laptop at home and a printer, although I'm guessing printers are wireless, not bluetooth.
    05-01-13 11:22 AM
    That might work. I recall when trying to pair my secretary's bt headphone to her phone we "searched" and came up with stuff in the next office!

But again, some devices have to be put into "discoverable" mode and sometimes that involves more than just turning them on. Also, some devices can only be paired with X number of devices. Sometimes you have to erase all prior pairings and sometimes a new pairing will push off the oldest pairing.

For instance I just noticed that the Rim pb keyboard can be paired with 3 tablets in total.
    05-01-13 12:14 PM
    You do not have to place in discovery mode to "see" all BT devices. It is just best to be in discovery mode on both devices to "pair" the devices. Then turn it off. As mentioned, there is usually a connect button on dumb devices (mice, keyboard, headsets). Sometimes you don't have to be in discovery mode on the smart device you are connecting to. Then with smartphones, tablets, PC/laptops, you can set them to be in discovery mode. I guess there is no hard and fast rule but when I want to pair, I try to place both devices in discovery mode if I can.

Yes, BT on a printer is a special feature but they are available. Not sure if there is an app to print with the PB, tho.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 05-01-13 at 01:31 PM.
    05-01-13 01:20 PM
    There are quite few Bluetooth profiles. For two devices to interact via Bluetooth they must share the same profile. A device might still be discoverable but not share the same profile and thus could not be coupled. A list. from the internet is:

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...1213/p_country

The list is:

Profiles are the "services" offered by a device.

For two devices to interoperate to complete a user task, both devices must implement a common profile.

Below is a list of Bluetooth Profiles:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
    Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
    Common ISDN Access Profile (CIP)
    General Audio/Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP)
    Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)
    Hard Copy Cable Replacement Profile (HCRP)
    Human Interface Device Profile (HID)
    Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)
    Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
    Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Service Discovery Profile (SDAP)
    SIM Access Profile (SAP, SIM)
    Video Distribution Profile (VDP)
    Wireless Application Protocol Bearer (WAPB)
    Basic Imaging Profile (BIP)
    Basic Printing Profile (BPP)
    Cordless Telephony Profile (CTP)
    Device ID Profile (DID)
    Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN)
    Fax Profile (FAX)
    File Transfer Profile (FTP)
    Generic Access Profile (GAP)
    Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
    Headset Profile (HSP)
    Intercom Profile (ICP)
    Object Push Profile (OPP)
    Synchronization Profile (SYNCH)

CLICK HERE*to access the Bluetooth Glossary and receive a more complete explanation of each profile.
    FF22 and castoridae like this.
    05-01-13 02:39 PM
    The reference for Bluetooth Profiles on the Playbook is:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    FF22 likes this.
    05-01-13 02:44 PM
    There is a blue button on the bottom of the mouse. Push the button when attempting to pair with the Playbook. Then enter the pw of 0000.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-01-13 02:56 PM
    An example - the pb will pair with a number of phones including bbphones but they will not share files in the "normal" bt manner - that protocol/profile is not available on the pb. Similarly, before they implemented whichever 'audio" profile exists now, you could generally pair the pb with a headset but not actually play music using that headset.
    05-01-13 03:22 PM